• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative 24V DC Charging System Installation

storeman

You want to keep the unit as original as possible.

Let me suggest a different approach, if you have a tap set. I noted in your pictures of trying to pull the fan that you have a puller identical to the one I used to use on the fan. NAPA sells a straight bar heavy unit for about $25 that works much better for me.

My recommendation would be go back to the fan, get a better puller and try again with 5/16" bolts. If you pull the threads out, drill and tap for 3/8" or 7/16" bolts. I've had to do that twice and use a hammer on the fan base, to boot. If I recall correctly, I had to use the 7/16 drill to relieve the puller a bit to allow free movement, or perhaps I used 1/2 to relieve it's slot.

The puller you are using tends to pull at an angle IMO and I don't use it anymore. Given that it is a keyed shaft, any angle off true makes it impossible to pull the fan.

Jerry 2cents

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

You want to keep the unit as original as possible.

Let me suggest a different approach, if you have a tap set. I noted in your pictures of trying to pull the fan that you have a puller identical to the one I used to use on the fan. NAPA sells a straight bar heavy unit for about $25 that works much better for me.

My recommendation would be go back to the fan, get a better puller and try again with 5/16" bolts. If you pull the threads out, drill and tap for 3/8" or 7/16" bolts. I've had to do that twice and use a hammer on the fan base, to boot. If I recall correctly, I had to use the 7/16 drill to relieve the puller a bit to allow free movement, or perhaps I used 1/2 to relieve it's slot.

The puller you are using tends to pull at an angle IMO and I don't use it anymore. Given that it is a keyed shaft, any angle off true makes it impossible to pull the fan.

Jerry 2cents
Good idea on the puller...I was thinking about going after a stronger tool. Will check out the NAPA unit. I noticed when I was pulling I really had to watch the orientation of the 5/16" bolts as they would start "leaning" to either side or up/down and the puller rod wouldn't be level.

I assume yours looks like a steering wheel puller, just heavier/thicker? Also thinking instead of letting one of the 5/16" bolts break during the next attempt, why not go ahead & drill out the holes for a 3/8" tap? That way I know the holes are at the same center...also I have a few sets of GR8 3/8" bolts too...

storeman

The Napa puller is a rectangular bar about 5-6" long and about 3/4" x 1". Real simple and strong. No provision for a third pulling point, like the one you are using.
Jerry

1800 Diesel

The Napa puller is a rectangular bar about 5-6" long and about 3/4" x 1". Real simple and strong. No provision for a third pulling point, like the one you are using.
Jerry
Yep I just checked the Advance website and they have a pretty stout one too & they also will loan me one for free...will take a look at theirs tonight...thanks..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks