• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative 24V DC Charging System Installation

storeman

You want to keep the unit as original as possible.

Let me suggest a different approach, if you have a tap set. I noted in your pictures of trying to pull the fan that you have a puller identical to the one I used to use on the fan. NAPA sells a straight bar heavy unit for about $25 that works much better for me.

My recommendation would be go back to the fan, get a better puller and try again with 5/16" bolts. If you pull the threads out, drill and tap for 3/8" or 7/16" bolts. I've had to do that twice and use a hammer on the fan base, to boot. If I recall correctly, I had to use the 7/16 drill to relieve the puller a bit to allow free movement, or perhaps I used 1/2 to relieve it's slot.

The puller you are using tends to pull at an angle IMO and I don't use it anymore. Given that it is a keyed shaft, any angle off true makes it impossible to pull the fan.

Jerry 2cents

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

You want to keep the unit as original as possible.

Let me suggest a different approach, if you have a tap set. I noted in your pictures of trying to pull the fan that you have a puller identical to the one I used to use on the fan. NAPA sells a straight bar heavy unit for about $25 that works much better for me.

My recommendation would be go back to the fan, get a better puller and try again with 5/16" bolts. If you pull the threads out, drill and tap for 3/8" or 7/16" bolts. I've had to do that twice and use a hammer on the fan base, to boot. If I recall correctly, I had to use the 7/16 drill to relieve the puller a bit to allow free movement, or perhaps I used 1/2 to relieve it's slot.

The puller you are using tends to pull at an angle IMO and I don't use it anymore. Given that it is a keyed shaft, any angle off true makes it impossible to pull the fan.

Jerry 2cents
Good idea on the puller...I was thinking about going after a stronger tool. Will check out the NAPA unit. I noticed when I was pulling I really had to watch the orientation of the 5/16" bolts as they would start "leaning" to either side or up/down and the puller rod wouldn't be level.

I assume yours looks like a steering wheel puller, just heavier/thicker? Also thinking instead of letting one of the 5/16" bolts break during the next attempt, why not go ahead & drill out the holes for a 3/8" tap? That way I know the holes are at the same center...also I have a few sets of GR8 3/8" bolts too...

storeman

The Napa puller is a rectangular bar about 5-6" long and about 3/4" x 1". Real simple and strong. No provision for a third pulling point, like the one you are using.
Jerry

1800 Diesel

The Napa puller is a rectangular bar about 5-6" long and about 3/4" x 1". Real simple and strong. No provision for a third pulling point, like the one you are using.
Jerry
Yep I just checked the Advance website and they have a pretty stout one too & they also will loan me one for free...will take a look at theirs tonight...thanks..