• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM General M934 How difficult is it to find repairs & how much will they set me back?

red

The NHC250 will take the mindset of a Detroit 2 stroke when revved over 2000rpm, meaning it will suck the fuel tank dry in a heartbeat. Wreckers are rated at the worst expected fuel economy for the 5 tons (3mpg). Driving at 1950-2000rpm my m816 is averaging 6.2-6.5mpg up here in Utah.

someoldmoose

hey y'all,, late to the party tonight. Don't remember if I shared this or not so here goes :

floor plan.jpg

Basic floor plan for Exit Strategy. Double ended arrows indicate sections that slide on the floor. Back doors will stay closed once she's set up. Driver's side, bottom of pic to be like a "mudroom" and Passenger side, like a foyer ( yeah, I said it. I CAN be classy when I wanna be ) The head and kitchen will always be available whether in travel mode or "house" mode. Already have a few change orders to issue but overall, this is the plan.

red

Reference pics of the shelter in the closed/expanded setup. Pics ain't mine, got em from the forum awhile ago when first figuring out how to setup one as a camper. Hopefully pick up a trailer with one of these shelters on it next year.

M934 rear door closed.jpgM934 rear door open.jpg

Alice

True, the other thing is that by design they won't keep the rain out very well either...
Oh Yes sir. From the research ive done, whatever you managed to mount on yor walls better be plants because theyre at least going to get watered ;) No problem though, if i know anything its insulation, flooring and a leak proof roof. (due to a few summers bored and taking on various trades work) Ezi mod.

That should give you a good idea.....
THIS IS EXACTLY the same type of estimate i did when i was first thinking of these trucks and although it suuuuucks on the fuel economy you know what shooting for around 3k for a road trip, i dont very much mind. Worth the adventure in my eyes. Mine was mapped Toronto to California though ;)
Kind of another reason why im so dead set on A2, fueeeeeel.

The M934 has the aerodynamic cross section of a 2 story brick :p
Thats a fine looking brick :D

Reference pics of the shelter in the closed/expanded setup. Pics ain't mine, got em from the forum awhile ago when first figuring out how to setup one as a camper. Hopefully pick up a trailer with one of these shelters on it next year.

View attachment 686549View attachment 686550
Generally i make the plans for it being closed but when the extra room is needed it would be amazingly useful. For me im less interested in making it a legit camper/home and more a work office on wheels. (because i live and breathe work) I do a lot of film editing/ photo editing/net security IT stuff, recently game streaming on my friends channels and will soon be having my own. So all's i need in there is a **** load of tech, a desk, and a place to crash. (the truck will always be safe but yet another reason why after i reinforce it a bit more to ensure its 100% secure it will be a fortress for my gear more so than any RV)
This is the bit i CANT WWWWWWAAAAIT for. I really love doing all the decorating **** and hooking up the tech. ^_^

hey y'all,, late to the party tonight. Don't remember if I shared this or not so here goes :

Nice plans Moose! Got any astroturf and a patio with a grill on the roof? xD

Last edited:

someoldmoose

They go on the front porch. 40 inch extension to front end. Beer tap hood ornament ( working )

Roof covered with solar panels,. Sun deck.

Last edited:

Nomadic

True, the other thing is that by design they won't keep the rain out very well either, at least not like the slide out campers do even though they are far from perfect either.
I plan on living in my 934 having a computer desk, server rack and other electronics as well as bedding. Would you elaborate on leak problem from rain?

Mos68x

They were never known to be leak free, and I'm fairly certain that's one big reason the LMTV shop vans never had expansible sides. Yes you can constantly replace the seals, assuming you can find them, but for me I wanted something a lot less maintenance heavy to live in since the vehicle parts are already pretty maintenance heavy as it is (if you're doing it by the TMs and LO that is).

someoldmoose

Nomadic, The M32 body is known to leak at all the joints involved in allowing the expansion. I plan to build "awnings" on the roof to cover the longitudinal roof joints. Not gonna worry much about the vertical joints as I will be mainly in an arid environment. I will also not be using anything in the wall structure that will absorb water. I would sugest keeping sensitive electronics near the front wall centerline. This seems to be where I see radios and such mounted in pictures of Mil. use. Another option might be to install yer "sensitives" in a toolbox type structure on the exterior of the main body, whether bought or built.

Last edited:

Nomadic

Nomadic, The M32 body is known to leak at all the joints involved in allowing the expansion. I plan to build "awnings" on the roof to cover the longitudinal roof joints. Not gonna worry much about the vertical joints as I will be mainly in an arid environment. I will also not be using anything in the wall structure that will absorb water. I would sugest keeping sensitive electronics near the front wall centerline. This seems to be where I see radios and such mounted in pictures of Mil. use. Another option might be to install yer "sensitives" in a toolbox type structure on the exterior of the main body, whether bought or built.
The awning sounds like a good plan.

I do typically "weather" storms in the winter. It can be nasty out in the country. I don't know much about the joints involved in allowing the expansion. Is the m934 van known for ceiling leakage w/out an awning?

Nomadic

On the wings yes, in the center not really as long as there isn't other issues causing holes.
Someone could expect rain dripping down the sides of the extensions front and back, but not in the center or left/right sides. Do I have that right? I could probably live with that.

someoldmoose

Nomadic, it just wasn't engineered to be "water tight". Then they used fiberglass mat insulation and cheap plywood. Like a big dang sponge. Keeping the seals in good shape is really the only defense. If they're shot it's a constant battle. The way I laid mine out was planned so that even if it leaks some, the central area is where the important stuff is.

Alice

Hey guys. Time for a check in and an update.

Seems i have found myself an M934-A2 and now setting up to go look at it and pick it up and drive it all the way back to Toronto. ****. What have i got myself into. The truck is in Kansas and it seems to be in a great running shape, but the **** if i know just yet! Im figuring it all out step by step as they come but i know it will soon be time to get behind the wheel and haul ass home. Im going to post on the Road Trip sub of SS when its time for it but in the mean while, anyone have any advice on what i should be mind full of?

Plan is to drive out there, 15-16hour trip, about 1024miles. Pick it up and drive the truck back to canada. How should i pace myself ideally? Its a bit nuts cause i dont know this truck and im starting off with a pretty big ass trip, what should i keep an eye out for? Anyone in or around Kansas i can harass for a few pointers?

Pntyrmvr

Don't forget to fax the title to US Customs 72 hours before you cross. Detroit is open 24 hours, but Lewiston NY is only M-F 8-4.

Did you buy it privately?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alice

hehe yep detroit post is my aim (edward i think), i think by the time i make my way over there itll be just about 3 days but last time i imported a vehicle i didnt even send them anythign and just showed up and they were cool about it so i hope if im like an hours or two early they wont care ;)

I found it on ebay, got in contact with the owner and made an offer that he accepted so i won the auction. Not paid yet as ill be doing that in person. Good guy, weve been in contact quite a bit.

red

Tires will be your biggest concern for the initial trip. The 14.00x20"s that come on the a2's have the most blowouts. If it's Michelin XL, XML tires be very cautious because they are the common blowouts. Older tires with weak sidewalls and many were compromised by sitting for long periods of time with the tires flat.

The Michelin XZL and the Goodyear tires are much better quality, newer, and less prone to failure. Cruising at 55mph will help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks