• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An Amusing Unimog quote...

spicergear

Nope haven't owned either, but test drove 404 several years ago... After having worked for a guy with a Case U900 and using that around his farm for several years... I felt the 404 left a lot to be desired... M35a2 is a lot more bang for the buck...

But I do have Unimog envy.. If I had a spare 16-25 K laying around I would have a 406. I wouldn't own a 404 unless it was close to free, and it would instantly get a 300D engine transplant. :beer:
Keep an eye on the right sales and you can pick up a 406 for half of that. May need a little...but your foot is in the door at least. ;)

BUT, if you would really find yourself with some an abundance of $$$ kicking around, we can talk. :)

greenjeepster

What happened to picking on British stuff?

Hard to pick on the Best 4x4 by far, when it was based on good ole American Ingenuity...

The only landrovers not worth owning are all the post Defender era Rovers.
Those would be the:
Discovery
Range Rover
LR3
LR4
and... I am missing one... Oh yeah.
The PEELANDER

A LRFC would beat the pants off a 404 mog any day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlJ9QCSckE&feature=related

Last edited:

Barrman

I get it now greenjeepster. You just like to argue. I can pick on British vehicles because I have a few. No Land rovers though, so no picking.

Here is my next topic of arguement:

BLUE!

flighht2k5

Banned
I get it now greenjeepster. You just like to argue. I can pick on British vehicles because I have a few. No Land rovers though, so no picking.

Here is my next topic of arguement:

BLUE!
He does like to argue and he must be a failure at life.

greenjeepster

My intention when entering this thread was to just point out that whoever wrote the quote referenced in the op's post didn't know squat about Rovers... They will never Rot into the soil... they are all stainless and aluminum.

Google series II rovers and look at the 40-50 year old trucks... not a speck of rust on them...because they can't rust.

So I like old Rovers, I like military trucks, I like Unimog 406s and case U900s, just about anything with a diesel engine and 4x4 or 6x6. Don't care so much for the 404 gasser... Who cares? You like it...good for you.

My advice is if you can't take a little razzing, don't dish it out yourself.

flighht2k5

Banned
My intention when entering this thread was to just point out that whoever wrote the quote referenced in the op's post didn't know squat about Rovers... They will never Rot into the soil... they are all stainless and aluminum.

Google series II rovers and look at the 40-50 year old trucks... not a speck of rust on them...because they can't rust.

So I like old Rovers, I like military trucks, I like Unimog 406s and case U900s, just about anything with a diesel engine and 4x4 or 6x6. Don't care so much for the 404 gasser... Who cares? You like it...good for you.

My advice is if you can't take a little razzing, don't dish it out yourself.
The body may not rust but the chassis of a series will rot away. Why dont you research them for sale in England. **** even here. They did not come from the factory with a galvanized chassis. That's kind of hypocritical isn't it? You don't like gassers but yet you have zero experience with a 404 and the number one engine sold in a series is a gas engine. Hhmmmm

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
They also sold 404s with a diesel option although rare. So would that 404 be ok then? Why was the 404 one of the longest produced Unimog models?

flighht2k5

Banned
What happened to picking on British stuff?

Hard to pick on the Best 4x4 by far, when it was based on good ole American Ingenuity...

The only landrovers not worth owning are all the post Defender era Rovers.
Those would be the:
Discovery
Range Rover
LR3
LR4
and... I am missing one... Oh yeah.
The PEELANDER

A LRFC would beat the pants off a 404 mog any day.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlJ9QCSckE&feature=related[/media]
Wait the fc land rover is a gasser but you like it? You make no sense.

saddamsnightmare

November 14th, 2011.

Gentlemen:

Before we wax too lyrical in the praise of good old British know how, look up the Historical Unimog films that Spicergear has posted elsewhere here in the Unimog forum. I doubt if you will catch any LR product moving either a 200 to 375 ton hot steel bottle railroad car, or 300 to 600 tons of any other railroad equipment, and one Unimog, a 406 or 408 is shown moving a dozer the size of a D-14 on a two axle trailer. There were only about 67,000 S404's built from the 1950's to 1981, and I'd make a safe bet that except for extreme abuse or accidents, most of them are still running, usually in the third world doing just whatever it was they were designed for. I suspect that the reason the Unimog is not more common, even in the modern variants, is that it IS truely an extreme off road truck/tractor designed for very special applications. I will also tell you that the NYCTA has a rail mounted Unimog to pull subway trains out of flooded tunnels or in other areas where they have to cut the power off for any reason. That should tell you just what they can and will do....:beer: And, I do note that the LR 101 seems to copy an awful lot of the Unimog architecture, and the blighter does have weight in the bed. I'd really like to see him try the same climb in reverse without the weight, so the conditions would be approximately the same as the S404 that set some of us off a few pages back....

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
November 14th, 2011.

Gentlemen:

Before we wax too lyrical in the praise of good old British know how, look up the Historical Unimog films that Spicergear has posted elsewhere here in the Unimog forum. I doubt if you will catch any LR product moving either a 200 to 375 ton hot steel bottle railroad car, or 300 to 600 tons of any other railroad equipment, and one Unimog, a 406 or 408 is shown moving a dozer the size of a D-14 on a two axle trailer. There were only about 67,000 S404's built from the 1950's to 1981, and I'd make a safe bet that except for extreme abuse or accidents, most of them are still running, usually in the third world doing just whatever it was they were designed for. I suspect that the reason the Unimog is not more common, even in the modern variants, is that it IS truely an extreme off road truck/tractor designed for very special applications. I will also tell you that the NYCTA has a rail mounted Unimog to pull subway trains out of flooded tunnels or in other areas where they have to cut the power off for any reason. That should tell you just what they can and will do....:beer: And, I do note that the LR 101 seems to copy an awful lot of the Unimog architecture, and the blighter does have weight in the bed. I'd really like to see him try the same climb in reverse without the weight, so the conditions would be approximately the same as the S404 that set some of us off a few pages back....
That video is retarded. Backing up a 404 in r1 up a hill then later on barreling up it at a higher speed in a deuce is stupid

Last edited:

greenjeepster

Wait the fc land rover is a gasser but you like it? You make no sense.
First I didn't say I liked them, I was comparing like with like... and it was just a cheap shot... You should lighten up before you die of a stroke or something.

The production 404 with the naturally aspirated diesel is rare because it was a failure, extremely slow and under powered.

Most Landys are available in Diesel, just not in the US. Oddly enough they don't meet the US emission requirements even though a Discovery TDI will get twice the mileage as the gas version sold in the US market.

404s are the most popular model because they are cheap for a Benz.

I would like to see a 404 do this:

Attachments

flighht2k5

Banned
First I didn't say I liked them, I was comparing like with like... and it was just a cheap shot... You should lighten up before you die of a stroke or something.

The production 404 with the naturally aspirated diesel is rare because it was a failure, extremely slow and under powered.

Most Landys are available in Diesel, just not in the US. Oddly enough they don't meet the US emission requirements even though a Discovery TDI will get twice the mileage as the gas version sold in the US market.

404s are the most popular model because they are cheap for a Benz.

I would like to see a 404 do this:
You said series not discovery. Most series found around the world is the 2.25 gas motor.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

November 25th, 2011.

NOW that we are all blowing turkey fumes after yesterday, I have hit on an odd idea in regards to Unimogs. Did you ever notice the decal of the little "Calvin" dude from Calvin and Hobbes whizzing on an auto maker's insignia, usually Chevy, Ford or more rarely Dodge? It set me to wondering why you NEVER see him taking aim at a MB or Unimog... I guess Calvin just can't aim high enough to hit one, and I've never had to put a "Fear This" sticker on either of my trucks, so I guess I'm doing good there also. Mine have to actually earn their keep, but I usually only do the upgrades that they would have received in their last general depot overhauls.
NOW if you really want to set our lesser mortals going on here, let's just haul out a Tatra or Kraz and put they through their paces, if they run, they probably actually do fear nothing...... Just food for thought.

Have a safe Holiday Season...:gimp2:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks