• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An Amusing Unimog quote...

Lordicon

Who ever wrote this never had a Land rover series II with a stainless Steel Chassis...
No such thing.... Sorry... Love to have , but no..... Galvy yes, dipped yes... Stainless?? No.
I have seen a series 2a with burnished brimabright panels to look like a Delorian .... But still not ss....

turnkey

Mogs can be fun except the price for parts ...A friend of mine in CA. talk about that all day long...But they are the best in driving 4 big kids and 5 little ones ...Up a hill for fun....But it collects dust when it is down for repairs.......Enjoy

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mogs can be fun except the price for parts ...A friend of mine in CA. talk about that all day long...But they are the best in driving 4 big kids and 5 little ones ...Up a hill for fun....But it collects dust when it is down for repairs.......Enjoy
That's been my experience operating the gasser 404 and the diesel 416. Both are (were) ex military cargo trucks, available at auction, much like the M35 also used to be. Both of the Unimogs are excellent cargo carriers over rough terrain, besting any vehicle in it's weight class. I have crossed through swift river water of 1.5 meters in depth in a loaded 416 that was over the tires and filling the foot wells of the cab. That side pressure would have overcame the traction and swept away a lesser vehicle. I was amazed at the ability of the truck to make the crossing, and fulfill the materials delivery mission.

But at years end, accounting for the repair costs and down time, the Unimog looses it's bragging rights to the heavy, lumbering M35. The deuce just lumbers along, and while it does not off road as well, it definitely does not cost as much at years end.

As for Landys, I have not seen one that claims the load capacity that rivals the above mentioned rigs. So I say that there is no comparison. However, to post a advertisement photo of a Landy roped to a tug and cargo ship and saying it is proof the Landy is worthy, is misleading and wrong! Having driven and worked on all three marques, I say the LR is the most disadvantaged of the three. I'm not sure what happened to the creativity of the LR engineers, but I assume that designing automotive products while sequestered on a predominantly anglo-centric island is not conducive to creating a lasting product.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks