• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An Aussie 5-ton RV conversion 'Mad Max Winnebago'

Sirblissfull

Seen it before.

I really like the cab forward design of the vehicle as it allows you to use more of the length of the truck. Since mine does not have that I am utilizing the expanding van sections to make the main floor of the box 17 ft by 14 ft. The debate goes on with the wife over putting a patio on the roof. Our " lounging area " would then be the full size of the box easy enough to throw up a canopy and mosquito netting.

spicergear

I dunno how they can reference Mad Max and not have even traveld to Silverton NSW to the Mad Max Museum! :mrgreen: If anyone's interested it's 16hrs drive West from Sydney at about the far western border of NSW. Within about 15mi of where the filmed 'The Road Warrior' outside of Broken Hill. Long, long...long long drive, but lots of interesting sites and scenery on the way.

dburt

His travel experiences are an interesting read also- where they go, how they get there, what they see along the way, etc. Sort of an arm chair travelog down under.

But what I find most interesting on his website is his determination to see the project thru to completion, overcoming obstacles and setbacks, and figuring out the engineering problems as he builds 'Whothuhellizit' and then- he rebuilds it again several years later!

Most of us only dream and talk about what we want to do- very few of us actually acomplish it due to time, finances, family issues, etc.

tacr2man

The reality of driving it in Oz would be **** unless you limited yourself to only travelling in winter , I drove the base vehicle for about 150Km once , and it was a culture shock even compared with a bedford RL , but good as an extended stay base camp , as long as you stayed long enough to forget the last drive JMHO

saddamsnightmare

January 15th, 2012.

"So Lonestar, your Schwartz is as big as mine! Let's see how well you use it!":D

I think the unpainted body was to take into account climactic conditions in the out back, but it rather does remind one of the Queen Mary come to roost on a 5 ton. Wonder what plate fees are in Austrailia for that monster?

tamangel

.... Wonder what plate fees are in Austrailia for that monster?
in his construction diary for WORT 1 ( the first, bigger rig), he mentions this..

"20 July 1998..It's license day. I need an HR (heavy rigid) truck license to drive the truck. Last weekend I did four hours training and today I do the assessment. There's a new system of licensing in NSW. With the old system you did lessons then go for an all-or-nothing test with the Road Transport Authority (RTA). Very stressful. The new system is called Competency Based Assessment (CBA). Briefly this means that the bloke giving the lessons is also qualified to assess your ability to handle a large vehicle. This is a much better system because, unlike an RTA test, it's not a case of "one strike and your out". With CBA, if you make a mistake you just try again.
The assessment involves about six hours of driving in all kinds of conditions, both on the highway and in busy town centers etc. It went quite smoothly I thought, if you don't count running out of fuel (well I had to learn how to prime a diesel anyway) and that street sign on the corner (nothing that a team of council workers can't fix in a few hours).

By the end of the assessment I was knackered and thinking very seriously about spending the $5000 to install power steering in the truck..."

Mike

dburt

If thier diesel costs are about the same as the US, and if he gets about what a 5-ton would get with such a big camper body on it, then it must cost him close to $1 per mile to move that truck around. Those kind of numbers keep me from getting serious and moving ahead on a 5-ton and a camper box setup. Or maby I just need to play the lottery?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks