• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another not starting post.

txhunter27

Okay I just picked up a M1008 from a guy who had it sitting for a couple months, he got it from an auction. I had to put batteries and all the fluids in it when I got it. I can't seem to get it to start now. Here is what is going on. I can get it to turn over but nothing happens. I dont have a gen 2 light or wait to start light. I have checked the fuel return line and I have fuel coming out. I think it has to be something with the glow plugs. Thanks for any help.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
make sure you crack the lines at the injectors , you may have a air block there also, having seen photos of some of the TX trucks where all fluids have been drained they may also have run the trucks dry,

Al Harvey

This a great place to find the answers to a lot of issues with your CUCV. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?123199-CUCV-Helpful-Threads Scroll down and you will see the glow plug section that cucvrus is mentioning. To the left of your master cylinder is a solenoid, that is your glow plug solenoid. If it is not clicking when you turn the key on, then the glow plugs are not getting any power. You should be able to hear the click while sitting in the driver seat. If it is clicking and your still not starting, then check you glow plugs and see if they are cracked or swollen. You can tell this by pulling them out and visually checking them. Read through those helpful threads and also check out the TM (Army version of Haynes manual) http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77609-TM-s-for-the-CUCV and if you still can't figure it out let us know. Good luck with the truck and post up some pictures. nopics

Al Harvey

Looks like it's the vacuum lines that are used to let the transmission know when to shift. There should be two lines going to that location, one above the other onto a black piece.

Also please don't use links to pictures, upload them to the thread. This can be done by clicking on the little picture of a tree above where you are typing your response. Links are nice until the original picture is moved or deleted, then that part of the information is gone and doesn't help others with the same issue.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to ask , fuel in tank? with nothing at the injector start bleeding at the filter and work your way along the system and check ALL your rubber and metal lines along the system for holes , cuts etc. and that all clamps are tight,

Assel

Welcome, when I replaced my Fuel Filter my CUCV wont start too, same symptoms like yours, return line got fuel but I somehow had Air still in it: because I was alone I had to crank&watch the hose from the bleeding screw at the same time, after a few trys without start..one got just a rough idle for like 4-5 seconds... I figuered out that somehow my filter mount must be worn or smthin...because the fuel was running back into the Filter ..and so sucked air into it. (I had the tank-cap open so there shouldnt be any vacuum). I then found out how to unscrew the Bleeder Screw so it had let out the Diesel while bleeding but not letting it back in... Bleed it 2x and fired nicely up, run a bit rough for ~1 minute (maybe some air in the IP) and never had any problems again :D ...maybe you have such a "magic" bleeding screw also :D

Glowing shouldnt be the problem until its really cold ....newer cars dont even glow if its above 5°Celsius .... for the 6.2 in your CUCV its just a bit more work for the Starter...but should fire up

cucvrus

The batteries will work. But you still need glow plugs that work to get that truck fired up. I glow mine when it is 90 degrees out. It always cycles the glow plugs the first start up of the day. After that they are not needed. Unless it sits again for a length of time that the sensor signals the glow plug relay.

Al Harvey

This is the housing for it and there is a cap on the end, when you pull the cap off you should see a card inside it. It should be tucked up under the dash, I let it hang down so you get an idea of its location.

IMG_2625.jpgIMG_2626.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks