• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another not starting post.

txhunter27

Great thanks guys. I talked to the guy I got it from and he said I can come rob some parts off of the extra cucvs he has out at his place. I also noticed there was no coolant temp sensor in my radiator.

txhunter27

Okay I got the controller card but still got no wait to start light. Also when I was pulling parts off of one of his parts truck I noticed there was something on the center of the firewall in the engine bay. Mine doesnt have anything right there. Anyone know what that is?

Al Harvey

The piece I believe you are talking about is the glow plug resistor. It was used to drop 24v to 12v for the glow plugs. It's good yours is already gone and wired straight to 12V. You can search and find the details about the resistor in one of the threads. Did your solenoid start clicking? If it didn't, do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, check the red wire on top of your glow plug solenoid and see if your getting 12v to it. If the solenoid did click, then its turning on the glow plugs and the wait light bulb could be blown.

I tried to source a few locally without much luck. Found a guy who might not be in business anymore running a site called cucv electric. Bought a couple things from him to include a couple spares. While your doing some work on your beast might be worthwhile to install a manual glow plug bypass switch. It will allow you to manually cycle the glow plugs should your glow plug control card ever fail you.

The dog head starter relay might be a good idea also. When I serviced my truck for the first time I also used a.c. Delco 60g glow plugs. Keep in mind you need to spend sometime putting on new female connectors if you go that route, easy but plan an extra thirty minutes for the job .

I've upgraded or replaced a lot of stuff on my cucv, but use it as a daily driver and plow and wheel with it. So it had to be reliable, especially if my wife and son drive it In the winter.

The 09 is an absolute monster in the snow and I only re geared into 4.10's your 08 has 4.56's so you should have tons of fun when. It's all squared away, just takes time and research.

joshuak

Are you referring to:

The black plastic diamond shaped thing attached with cables connected to it?
That is the 12 volt buss bar.

Silver cylinder with 4 wires attached to it?
Glow plug relay.

Missing in your pic. For a stock system is the resistor pack which goes right in the middle of the firewall, somebody has done the by pass for the 12v supplying the glow plug relay. This mod is considered to be an upgrade, search muddy resistor bypass, in the advanced search, very informative thread.

Please correct if mistaken, just trying to help.

txhunter27

The piece I believe you are talking about is the glow plug resistor. It was used to drop 24v to 12v for the glow plugs. It's good yours is already gone and wired straight to 12V. You can search and find the details about the resistor in one of the threads. Did your solenoid start clicking? If it didn't, do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, check the red wire on top of your glow plug solenoid and see if your getting 12v to it. If the solenoid did click, then its turning on the glow plugs and the wait light bulb could be blown.
No my solenoid didnt start clicking. I will go check that now with a multimeter. Thanks alot for all the help guys. I have big plans for this truck as soon as I can get it to run!:beer:

richingalveston

you can test the solenoid by using jumper cable from the front battery to the orange wires coming out of the bottom of the solenoid. connect cable to orange wires. touch to poss. battery terminal on front battery and hold for 10 to 15 seconds. Then turn it over and see if it starts. You will get some good sparks if all of your glow plugs are good.

I would replace the relay anyway and carry an extra one in your truck. They can go bad at any time and you do not know how old the one you have is unless you have replaced it.

I have never got in my CUCV when cold, even on a 100 degree day and not have to wait for the glow plugs to heat.

It would be a good Idea to post some pics of your engine compartment, many people here can look at your wiring in pics and tell you what is wrong. If you are unfamiliar with the wiring it can seem more complicated than it is. A few simple things can keep your truck from starting.

Al Harvey

That is a quick way to test your solenoid. Another way to test the wiring going to the solenoid, is to splice into the light blue wire coming out of the glow plug control card box, add a short piece of wire and touch it to a ground. Go back a couple of posts where I gave you the link so you know that you are getting the correct wire. If the relay clicks, everything is good from there to the relay and you can add a push button to use until we get to the root of your problem.