• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another not starting post.

txhunter27

I have a new development. I decided to put my air compressor to the gas tank and see what I can find. Well... I found a leak. I fixed the leak in the pick up line but I am still not getting fuel to the fuel filter after probably 10 cranks for 10 seconds each.

richingalveston

I thought the fuel had to get to the injectors before it could get to the return line?

I think you may have to get the line loose directly at the injector pump (under the intake manifold) to see if fuel is getting to the IP.
If it is then remove glow plugs, crank motor while fuel lines to injectors are loosened slightly (one at a time). If you crank for a while and get nothing, you have a bad IP or a stuck shut off solenoid.

If you have nothing to the IP then you need to trace your fuel line problems backwards from the IP.

Al Harvey

If your not getting any fuel to the filter, then it sounds like your pump is bad or screen clogged at the tank. Run a piece of hose from a 5 gallon can to the input on the pump and see if it draws fuel.

richingalveston

looks like you have your fuel lines crossed at the tank. The fuel should come from the line on top of the frame rail. When you put the electric pump on did you splice it into the return instead of the supply?

or your pump is running backwards and somehow pressuring the tank.

cucvrus

You don't know how many of these CUCV trucks I have seen and fixed . People buy them and then do all this changing and cutting before they even get them started. It is a shame that they are normally easy to work on and they seem infallible when they are kept as designed. Normally it is a minor thing that has kept them from starting and they keep doing this and that and turn it into a mess. I think it is hard to figure out if you have no clue to begin with. And many times a few dollars spent to get it started by someone who knows what they are doing is cheaper then doing all the guess work and changing things that don't need changed. Good Luck with the truck. I wish I were closer to help you out. I started these engines on the floor of my garage already while they were sitting in a shopping cart frame. They are very simple engines. I know the frustration you are having. I have been there with other vehicles that I was not familiar with. I no longer get to that point. i open my wallet and leave it to skilled labor. That is just an idea and an opinion. I do wish i could help and wish you good luck.

cucvrus

I didnt put a electrical pump on at all. I am about to break down and take to to a friend that has a diesel shop.
That would probably be the best bet for you. It would save your sanity and get the job done. You will be a lot happier driving it when it runs. Then working on it and not getting anywhere. Good Luck. i hope everything works out for you.

richingalveston

something has to be wrong with your fuel routing if you are getting fuel pressure on the return line.

fuel has to go to the fuel pump, then to filter, then to IP, then to Injector and what is not used at the injector then gravity drains back to the fuel tank through the return line. The return lines are not designed to receive pressure.

check that the output of the fuel pump is going to the metal line that goes to the fuel filter and not the return line connection back to the tank.
You need to check to see that you actually have fuel pressure after the fuel pump. You may just have bad fuel pump. The pumps can still move fluid when they go bad but will not put up enough pressure to push it through the filter.

richingalveston

The hose connection is the intake and the threaded side is the output since it is the pressure side. The output side goes to the metal line and is a screw fitting. For ease of install use grease to hold the plunger in the block while installing the fuel pump and go ahead and put the metal line on before bolting it down.