• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

91W350

In Kansas the trick thing is to get one old enough to be an antique. 35 years, then there is no weight or registration fees after that. A lot of wheat farmers are loving that little loop in registration. So I want a M818, M813, M814 1974 or older...

KsM715

91W350, So does that mean I can put an antique tag on my '71 M818 and still pull loaded trailers or put a dump bed on it and haul my own dirt and gravel? All for personal use, non comercial. Ive been trying to read the KS laws to figure out what tag to use. I was thinking the way I read it I can also use vet. tags and not have any weight restrictions either. I would kind of like to put vet tags on my MV's. I dont have them on my personal vehicles because I dont feel I deserve to have those tags (I never saw combat) but they would fit on the MV's.

91W350

As I understand it, that is the way it works, non-commercial. I was just at the tag office inquiring and that is what they told me. I know as a police officer, we never mess with the antique tags at all, other than running them once in a while to find out what we are looking at.

markmontana

Dang- that is one good looking truck!

Mark-- thanks, I just got back from a 60 mile drive, truck running good. Wanted to get it up to temp, to check for leaks after doing all the fluid changes. Appreciate all your help making it happen.

Took it to the scale today- I wanted to know the weight as a bobber- any guesses?

---

100dollarman

Dang- that is one good looking truck!

Mark-- thanks, I just got back from a 60 mile drive, truck running good. Wanted to get it up to temp, to check for leaks after doing all the fluid changes. Appreciate all your help making it happen.

Took it to the scale today- I wanted to know the weight as a bobber- any guesses?

---
You are a great customer!!! Will talk to you soon! THANK YOU!!!

I am guessing 9868lbs.

Dblosch

Man I'm a sucker for those monochrome green bobbers. I know Hundy built it, but i'm guessing high- How about 10,200?

First post, BTW- Been lurking for a while, but I got tired of not being able to see pictures and decided i'd better join the ranks. :beer:

Dblosch

Thanks Hundy- I'll be headed your way as soon as I can free up some $. My old man is just south of you, in Temecula. I'd love to check out your operation next time I'm headed down... :)

Kalashnikov

A little late in the discussion, but did you fully weld the trailer to the frame? The pics you gave only showed a few beads. If I was to buy a bobbed deuce, I'd want the trailer frame cut at a 45* angle and a plate fishmouthed along the majority of the weld.

As for the frame welding itself, like stated previously, the 4x4ers weld frames all the time without incident properly gusseted.

If this were say, an F350 being lifted, welding a frame on a frame would be considered half assed (not saying your work is at all!). Longer springs, shackles, hangers, or whatnot would be a better route. Why not just do a combo of more springs in the pack, drop hangers, and a longer shackle? I can't imagine the ride or flex is very good at all with TWO spring packs on top of each other which also doesn't sound/look very safe. I'd be a little worried with u bolts that tall as well. Less springs=softer ride/more flex. Longer shackle=softer ride/more flex. How much lift did you go with?

Eventually I'd like some sort of lifted deuce, althought I'd like a 6x6 lifted deuce without stacking frames. Seems like it'd be a PITA though with the suspension design. I haven't looked into it too much yet since I still have to buy a deuce! :oops:

Last edited:

100dollarman

A little late in the discussion, but did you fully weld the trailer to the frame? The pics you gave only showed a few beads. If I was to buy a bobbed deuce, I'd want the trailer frame cut at a 45* angle and a plate fishmouthed along the majority of the weld.

As for the frame welding itself, like stated previously, the 4x4ers weld frames all the time without incident properly gusseted.

If this were say, an F350 being lifted, welding a frame on a frame would be considered half assed (not saying your work is at all!). Longer springs, shackles, hangers, or whatnot would be a better route. Why not just do a combo of more springs in the pack, drop hangers, and a longer shackle? I can't imagine the ride or flex is very good at all with TWO spring packs on top of each other which also doesn't sound/look very safe. I'd be a little worried with u bolts that tall as well. Less springs=softer ride/more flex. Longer shackle=softer ride/more flex. How much lift did you go with?

Eventually I'd like some sort of lifted deuce, althought I'd like a 6x6 lifted deuce without stacking frames. Seems like it'd be a PITA though with the suspension design. I haven't looked into it too much yet since I still have to buy a deuce! :oops:
The frame is not fully welded. Several welds all over, though. I have found that there is about 100 different ways to do the bob. It just depends on what works for you. As far as springs, hangers, etc.

The springs are not stacked- the top few are an overload and dont touch unless needed. No lift per se.

It has been amazing to see all the different opinions of the internet engineers--- everything from "it'll NEVER work" to "Dude, thats AWESOME!" LOL! I have had guys say it is a total no-no to weld on a frame, and other welders at truck shops give it the thumbs up. So, take in all the info and decide for yourself!:grd:

I just put the deposit on a Hundy bobbed deuce. I can't wait to become a happy customer. After reading this thread you would think the concern would be more on axle wrap than on the frame welding. You would be shocked if you knew how many frames were welded on, I know this cause my cousin works in a commercial truck shop and I asked about the frame welding. Plus think of the modifications done to a stretched vehicle and who wouldn't ride in a limo ;D The local 4x4 shop guy said there are a few "after build" tricks you can do to help with axle wrap but a good experienced shop should be able to prevent/eliminate most axle wrap. And the axle wrap is the problem in most modified 4x4 and can lead to broken parts and lots of recovery $$.

Thomas H

P.S. I will sure have to file an after action report once my father-in-law who is picking it up for me gives it the once over and lets me finally play with it.

100dollarman

I just put the deposit on a Hundy bobbed deuce. I can't wait to become a happy customer. After reading this thread you would think the concern would be more on axle wrap than on the frame welding. You would be shocked if you knew how many frames were welded on, I know this cause my cousin works in a commercial truck shop and I asked about the frame welding. Plus think of the modifications done to a stretched vehicle and who wouldn't ride in a limo ;D The local 4x4 shop guy said there are a few "after build" tricks you can do to help with axle wrap but a good experienced shop should be able to prevent/eliminate most axle wrap. And the axle wrap is the problem in most modified 4x4 and can lead to broken parts and lots of recovery $$.

Thomas H

P.S. I will sure have to file an after action report once my father-in-law who is picking it up for me gives it the once over and lets me finally play with it.

Thank you, Thomas!

Your bobbed deuce is number #22!!! We have done the last 8 or so with the trailer frame set-up and it is working out very well. Axle wrap with this set-up is NOT an issue! VERY little wrap--- a small amount is expected. normal, and not a problem.

Here is a pic of #21 that we painted yesterday---- I am sure my guys at the shop have un-masked her by now-- I have not been down the shop yet today.

:driver:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks