• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another way to Bob a Deuce!

Trudge

i wouldnt worrie about welding on the frame at all its 3/8 thick and good steel ..........i read a post where the guy welded the cast iron shackles on, thats what worried me

mudguppy

... The local 4x4 shop guy said there are a few "after build" tricks you can do to help with axle wrap but a good experienced shop should be able to prevent/eliminate most axle wrap. And the axle wrap is the problem in most modified 4x4 and can lead to broken parts and lots of recovery $$. ...
this is my design: even w/ lift blocks, i have zero axle wrap. [thumbzup]

Attachments

100dollarman

Are there any issues/concerns with putting that wide a tire on a stock 9" rim?

The stock wheel is only 7.5" wide! No concerns from me-- we have done it about 100 times without a problem. But there are some people who have concerns about anything/everything that isnt stated in the tech manuals--- so you WILL get differing opinions!

REO 54

Hey Hundy!Nice work!I have enjoyed reading and learning on this thread.Question,has anyone rebuilt spring stacks with UHMW shims inbetween each leaf to help with the action,or is this a waste of time?Dave

jesusgatos

Hey Hundy!Nice work!I have enjoyed reading and learning on this thread.Question,has anyone rebuilt spring stacks with UHMW shims inbetween each leaf to help with the action,or is this a waste of time?Dave
Contact Deaver about ANY questions related to leafsprings. Some desert racers and rock crawlers have experimented with anti-friction shims/tape/pads between leafs, but they can end up causing more problems than they solve when dirt/rocks/grit get into them: ends up creating something with more friction than before. I remember talking to Deaver about anti-friction paints a while ago, and that's what I would suggest looking into if you're rebuilding springpacks. Check out this article I wrote several years ago, about building/tuning custom leafsprings. Deaver's got some REALLY cool old machines and tools at their shop.

enfield

How much does the new paint add to the cost of the truck? They look great, it would be awesome to buy one and drive it back to Texas!