• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody have any specs to make spin filter adapters?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is at least 2 sellers on site that put out a real nice thought out UPGRADE kit, with the needed fittings, o-rings, filters, ect., to me there is a HASSLE value to everything, don't see any reason to reinvent the wheel

jerseyjeep2003

there is at least 2 sellers on site that put out a real nice thought out UPGRADE kit, with the needed fittings, o-rings, filters, ect., to me there is a HASSLE value to everything, don't see any reason to reinvent the wheel
Agreed, somethings are just not worth the hassle. But, I enjoy when I can make/fabricate the mods myself. I guess I am just weird, but I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of being able to say I made it myself. I'm not looking to capitalize on or cheap out by not buying said adapter kits, just looking to make them myself.

OLDCHEV4X4

Agreed, somethings are just not worth the hassle. But, I enjoy when I can make/fabricate the mods myself. I guess I am just weird, but I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of being able to say I made it myself. I'm not looking to capitalize on or cheap out by not buying said adapter kits, just looking to make them myself.

I hear what your saying. I make chips too and making parts yourself does bring allot of satisfaction. I tell the guys at work that reverse engineering and machining my own parts is better than sex.....................sometimes.
But if time is a issue, and the price for a completed part is acceptable, then i buy it.
You are not weird, its a machinist thing, they wouldn't understand.:wink:

joshuaz223

jersey i'm in the process of doing the same thing. i'm a hobby machinist and projects like this are why i started this in the first place. when i get mine done i will post more details. maybe some cad drawings if i get the time. have cam software also but no cnc equipment yet. i could **** out the code if i ever draw it up.

markehle

One reason to make your own is that the ones for sale are way overpriced, in my humble opinion. On ebay every now and then someone sells an LDT465 oil filter housing assembly. I tried to buy one not long ago just to use as a mockup to design my own filter adapter. Alas, the guy broke it and would not sell it to me.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One reason to make your own is that the ones for sale are way overpriced, in my humble opinion. On ebay every now and then someone sells an LDT465 oil filter housing assembly. I tried to buy one not long ago just to use as a mockup to design my own filter adapter. Alas, the guy broke it and would not sell it to me.
The sellers did the lag work, the design work, the testing, getting it made, ect, ect., ect. that is all worth something, thay are not getting rich off these kits. I guess it is easier to get or borrow a kit or base, COPY the ENGINEERING and WORK, and do it your self, that way no research, testing, design work, dealing with suppliers, ect, ect, It always EASIER and CHEAPER to use somebodys work, just ask the JAPS and the CHICOMS

markehle

The sellers did the lag work, the design work, the testing, getting it made, ect, ect., ect. that is all worth something, thay are not getting rich off these kits. I guess it is easier to get or borrow a kit or base, COPY the ENGINEERING and WORK, and do it your self, that way no research, testing, design work, dealing with suppliers, ect, ect, It always EASIER and CHEAPER to use somebodys work, just ask the JAPS and the CHICOMS
Excuse me, but if I design and build my own, just what do I owe the folks who sell their filter kits? If I designed my own and decided to publish the design, so what? I am a reasonably adept machinist, and this is not rocket science. I never said I was going to copy anything. On the contrary, I was going to buy the stock filter holder (so I don't have to tear apart my own truck) and figure out how to do it on my own, no copying and no using someone else's work.

Got a problem with that?

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I purchased a kit from one of the two who supply them, I've noticed both have gone up since I bought in. Overpriced, from a cost of material's standpoint, I can see that. Keep in mind, I don't have access to a lathe, mill, and round stock that big around, etc. I did take metals shop in high school, have a basic working knowledge of the machinist trade but I'm not a machinist. You are, I can tell you they have an o-ring sealing them to the oil cooler, they use a pipe thread adapter of some sort, and a machined aluminum disk with some holes drilled in them. I'm sure you've figured that much out by watching the youtube video or looking at the kits on e-bay and the last statement probably border's on insulting your intelligence but that's all I can see to them. Where the work comes in is measuring the oil cooler or the old filter cans diameter, figuring which thickness to make the adapters and which pipe plug adapter to use to bolt the plates to the oil cooler on one end and thread into the oil filters on the other end while allowing for proper thread contact in the oil cooler and is safe to be torqued to 60 foot pounds. I didn't have time to figure all that out, I just paid the set price and I love the oil pressure on start up.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Excuse me, but if I design and build my own, just what do I owe the folks who sell their filter kits? If I designed my own and decided to publish the design, so what? I am a reasonably adept machinist, and this is not rocket science. I never said I was going to copy anything. On the contrary, I was going to buy the stock filter holder (so I don't have to tear apart my own truck) and figure out how to do it on my own, no copying and no using someone else's work.

Got a problem with that?
Think you missed the POINT, you stated that you thought the kits were OVERPRICED, I just pointed out WHY the cost are what thay were, I think the COST are a lot LESS than thay could be so the AVERAGE MVERS can afford these kits

If you want to design a KIT, put the design or the kit out there, GREAT, more OPTIONS to chose from. I and everybody on SITE will APRECIATE the effort.

markehle

Think you missed the POINT, you stated that you thought the kits were OVERPRICED, I just pointed out WHY the cost are what thay were, I think the COST are a lot LESS than thay could be so the AVERAGE MVERS can afford these kits

If you want to design a KIT, put the design or the kit out there, GREAT, more OPTIONS to chose from. I and everybody on SITE will APRECIATE the effort.
OK - I can see that. It really looked like you were comparing me to the Japanese and the Chinese.

I do think, however, that when the price of a product is so much that people are thinking that it makes more sense to build their own than to buy one already made then the price is probably too high. How many more would they sell if they were cheaper? At some point the R&D costs are paid for and after that, it's all profit. The cost of materials and machining is no where near what they are being sold for. Would it not make more sense to drop the price such that every deuce owner couldn't' afford NOT to buy one and then sell a bazillion of them? It's the sellers choice, but I would bet that if there was a published design out there, the price would drop.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

OK - I can see that. It really looked like you were comparing me to the Japanese and the Chinese.

I do think, however, that when the price of a product is so much that people are thinking that it makes more sense to build their own than to buy one already made then the price is probably too high. How many more would they sell if they were cheaper? At some point the R&D costs are paid for and after that, it's all profit. The cost of materials and machining is no where near what they are being sold for. Would it not make more sense to drop the price such that every deuce owner couldn't' afford NOT to buy one and then sell a bazillion of them? It's the sellers choice, but I would bet that if there was a published design out there, the price would drop.
If there was a published design that included part numbers for the O-rings and the pipe thread adapters, I'd likely have had a local machine shop fab these up and saved some money for sure. I believe the R&D costs have likely been recouped but fabbing up something like these adapters is outside of my lane. I don't know what these could cost if fabbed locally but I'm pretty confident it'd be a fraction of what I paid.

91W350

I am not a machinist by trade, I did take metals in high school, some 40 plus years ago. I am betting I could get this job done if I wanted to though. I have access to a mill and lathe, also plenty of different metals to work with. I am with the original poster, I would like to try it myself. Not that I think the kits are too high, not that I cannot afford it, I think t would just be fun to do it. There does not appear to be much rocket science involved.

The constant badgering by some members here has worn me down. Instead of helping the guy do his thing, we have to start a P match with him.

Kind of sad.... seems like a few in our crowd cannot find somebody in our neighborhood to whip, so we hide behind a keyboard and wait to ambush somebody. Its like the loudmouth drunk in the bar, once he starts wearing on a guy, you might as well just ignore him and space yourself for a while. I wish we could all play on the same team I guess, but life does not work like that.

Next time I change oil, I am swinging out to my buddy's machine shop with a couple of large diesel oil filters and see what he thinks of the project. He is a great guy, one I enjoy spending time with. It would be good for both of us.

With that, I am bowing out. Glen

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OK -I would bet that if there was a published design out there, the price would drop.
There is, it is for a old I think WHITE FARM tractor that used basically the same multi motor, it had the spin on, the R&D, ect, ect. was done to adapt these to the mil. motor, NO ONE could find the old spin ons or drawings (rare, rare, rare) till the sellers came across them after years of searching, then totally REDID them for our use, found the supplers, ect. to produce the kits.

The price for these kits are not bad, I can get GOOD AFTER MARKET kits, but look at the price, start with CAT, the price for the kit is about what the deuce cost, JD sells kits, as do most name suppliers. I do believe people should make a profit on there work, time, knowledge, when we are no longer allowed to do that it will be to late for ALL

Last edited:

markehle

So what do you think is a fair price for a complete spin on oil filter kit?
Not too long ago I bought a spin-on adapter for my Honda GL1000. Cost me I think $60 and it was pretty much the exact same design only smaller, but not that much. The machining was identical to the deuce parts from what I can tell looking at the pictures. It was a really decent looking piece and I thought that the price was fair. He said he has a hard time keeping up with demand.

I am thinking that $150 for the deuce parts would be what I would have expected before I saw what they do sell for. Like I said, the sellers can price them at whatever they think they can get; I just have to wonder if they would make more money overall if they dropped the price and sold more of them. Just my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks