• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody have any specs to make spin filter adapters?

markehle

If it such a easy process to make your truck shouldn't be down but 1 day , if you spend that day designing and manufacturing the parts . If your building the parts you can't be driving the truck at the same time . Unless you question your own ability to build it from scrathch in a timely fashion and have it function properly.
I don't question my ability. When I am working on a project, I work slowly. I am not going to be in any hurry on this. Maybe you feel the need to rush. I don't.

markehle

That's why they want SOMEONE else to do the blueprint and design ( specs and measurements ) so they can call it theirs . Has anybody looked to see if either of the two manufactures of these have received or applied for patents , if they have that could be big problems for anyone trying to copy them.
While it's clear that the parts that folks are selling are nice and well designed/built, I would highly doubt that their designs are patentable. Even if they were, the cost of otaining a patent would probably wipe out a good share of profit.

joshs1ofakindxj

I was also hoping someone would publish drawings for these adapter bases. I have the means to manufacture them but like others, I have better things to do than go out and measure everything.

It's like the AR-15 part drawings that are online. No reason we can't do the same with deuce parts unless there is an intellectual property conflict.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you guys who want to build your own ,should contact one of the people who designed there own and see if they would Sell you the infomation you want .

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are a machinist, it would take about 30 minutes to pull a filter, take the nessessary measurements & put it back together.

I could see a total of 8 to 10 hours for the initial set. & less than 2 hours a set for extra sets.
That is without any automation.

Those that have done the design work to sell their product have zero incentive to give up their prints.

Now once one of you 'do it yourselfers', do it then you can share your design with the rest of us.

joshs1ofakindxj

If we don't have anything documented by the time I do my spring oil change then I will gladly bust out the thread gauges and calipers to record some dimensions.

Ok, let's get serious.

I'm not sure how the sealing surfaces are designed on the OE filter or the adapters until I get a chance to do an oil change but here is something useful:

For designing an o-ring sealing gland, I recommend using the Parker O-Ring Handbook, free here:

http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD 5700 Parker_O-Ring_Handbook.pdf

Page 81 in the PDF is Section IV - static o-ring sealing. That would be relevant to our application I assume.

I once used solely that resource to design and implement a sealing gland in the coupling end of a large gas turbine as a field service mod and it worked great, so this would be a cake walk.

Following that handbook you can design the gland and select an off the shelf Parker o-ring. Also they have a support engineers you can call when you get stumped and they are great about answering questions even if you only plan to buy one o-ring!

plym49

After thinking about it overnight, I find myself facing an ethical dilemma.

The guys on SS who manufacture and sell these adapters - jatonka, for example - have gone through the process of turning a one-off into a product. That is more than setting up the ability to turn these out one after the other.. It includes marketing and a web site and e-commerce software and deling with customers and tire kickers, and dealing with warranty returns and other types of returns. All in all it is a lot of work and no one is going to retire on Deuce oil filter adapters. On top of all this, they are our brothers here on SS. They are fellow countrymen. How many of us do not hesitate to download a TM from jatonka's site? Well, he pays for server space and web hosting to provide that free service. Therefore, whether or not I like the price he charges, I understand the realities he is dealing with and the implications if we do not support our own fellow vendors. (DISCLAIMER: I have nver met or spoken with jatonka, nor have I ever ordered anything from him. I have visited his site and I see he is located in New Youk state.) From this perspective, I would not support sharing the designs for these items on SS.

That's side A of the argument. Side B is that I am the last person on earth to not take apart something I own, to learn how it works, to fix it, and probably to make it better. I love the openness of information that the Internet brings. I certainly have no problem sharing tips and tricks on the Internet; I probably have posted 10,000 times over the years on various forums. I love to fabricate parts, I build whatever I can for my vehicles, do most all of the work myself (and have the ability to do it myself even if I job it out), and get a kick out of carving metal into a better shape. So, from this perspective, I would support sharing the designs for these items on SS.

Now it is a free country, so you all do whatever you want (within the rules of the forum, of course, and since I am not a moderator I have no say in that, either).

I can, however, suggest a gentleman's agreement. Perhaps on issues like this, where we would potentially be taking revenue away from a fellow SS member, we should keep the public forum details general. Specifics could be shared by PM as appropriate.

eagle4g63

I kind of agree with plym49, it is a ethical dilemma.

I also love making many of my own parts for my hot rods and even the deuce. With a little search you will find the thread size of any oil filter(choose whatever you want) and also you could easily go past any parts place and buy a cheap filter and have the diameter of the filters seal now you have 2 of the measurements, last you could go and buy the correct oil filter gasket(yes it is a paper gasket not an O ring)(also found on this site as Wix 15119) and you would have the outside diameter of the needed adapter.

So far you need these items to just do the conversion anyway so buy 2 of the gasket and filter you now have in hand the sizes needed. The adapter can be made then all you need is the thread size for original threaded part on the deuce(sorry about the technical terms) that way you can make the center threaded pipe to bolt the thing down with(hollow of course).

I do have most of those measurements myself and so could any of you if you go get the parts you need anyway....so out of professional courtesy(as sometimes when I make a custom part I will sell to people myself) I won't post the measurements.....sorry.

Now go out there and make your own parts!!! The research is part of the honor of making it your self.[thumbzup]

ODdave

By selling the adapters, The information is made public knowledge.

I dont understand what the big secret is on here ????? He is not looking to mass produce and sell them. He is asking for mesurments that anyone with a deuce and a filter can obtain. As far as a patent on them.....Just dont make them exactly the same. Your not gonna be able to patent the idea of an adapter:cookoo:

As far as cuting into somones profits? Seriously. Out of how many thousand SS members on here do you think own a lathe & a mill to make these?

I for one can say I will be making my own adapters and I would love for someone to try to prevent me. There are much bigger issues to attend to than OIL FILTER ADAPTERS !

Militoy

After thinking about it overnight, I find myself facing an ethical dilemma.

The guys on SS who manufacture and sell these adapters - jatonka, for example - have gone through the process of turning a one-off into a product. That is more than setting up the ability to turn these out one after the other.. It includes marketing and a web site and e-commerce software and deling with customers and tire kickers, and dealing with warranty returns and other types of returns. All in all it is a lot of work and no one is going to retire on Deuce oil filter adapters. On top of all this, they are our brothers here on SS. They are fellow countrymen. How many of us do not hesitate to download a TM from jatonka's site? Well, he pays for server space and web hosting to provide that free service. Therefore, whether or not I like the price he charges, I understand the realities he is dealing with and the implications if we do not support our own fellow vendors. (DISCLAIMER: I have nver met or spoken with jatonka, nor have I ever ordered anything from him. I have visited his site and I see he is located in New Youk state.) From this perspective, I would not support sharing the designs for these items on SS.

That's side A of the argument. Side B is that I am the last person on earth to not take apart something I own, to learn how it works, to fix it, and probably to make it better. I love the openness of information that the Internet brings. I certainly have no problem sharing tips and tricks on the Internet; I probably have posted 10,000 times over the years on various forums. I love to fabricate parts, I build whatever I can for my vehicles, do most all of the work myself (and have the ability to do it myself even if I job it out), and get a kick out of carving metal into a better shape. So, from this perspective, I would support sharing the designs for these items on SS.

Now it is a free country, so you all do whatever you want (within the rules of the forum, of course, and since I am not a moderator I have no say in that, either).

I can, however, suggest a gentleman's agreement. Perhaps on issues like this, where we would potentially be taking revenue away from a fellow SS member, we should keep the public forum details general. Specifics could be shared by PM as appropriate.
I've been lurking over this post - as I'm getting ready myself to convert (2) Detroit 3-53 engines over to spin-on oil filters using a factory type adapter. I don't see it as an ethical problem at all to post info on measurements of the interface for an adapter - after all, anyone capable of using that posted info to their own advantage would very likely also have the capability to pull a few bolts and make the measurements themselves. The likelihood of them coming up with and marketing a reliable product that would compete with the stuff already being offered would also depend on their skill and business prowess. IMHO though - that kind of a threat would be unlikely to come from anyone depending on specs posted on a public forum. Anyone willing to spend their valuable time to machine an adapter from a billet is going to be putting a pair of calipers on their own hardware first.

jerseyjeep2003

Wow, I didn't intend to make such a contraversy, I was only hoping that another hobby machinest has made a set for themselves. I never planned on marketing these or even giving a set away, I just get great enjoyment out of fabbing up whatever I can for my rig. Plus, yes it is nice to save a buck whenever possible. In todays economy who doesn't? I understand R&D costs money and buisness owners have to recoup that cost in what they charge. But really, would a handful of people that have the ability to make their own, make that big of a cut into their profit margin? We have all spent loads of money on our trucks, both out of necessity and pure asthetics. And probably every one of us has made something ouselves at one time or another. But hey, it IS a free country still and if someone can't or doesn't want to share the info I am looking for, that's OK, I understand. As one of the replies stated...at my next scheduled oil change.... If I need to wait til MY next oil change, that is what I will do also. It will be early spring when I do, BUT, I will share my information. If you happen to decide to share before then I am open to PM's. Sorry about the rant. I do love and appreciate this site above all others, and get a wealth of enjoyent from you guys.

3dAngus

It's not your fault. Unfortunately, there are a couple of guys on here that have nothing better to do than rain on others parade. We see it all the time.

Your intentions are fully admirable.

plym49

It's not your fault. Unfortunately, there are a couple of guys on here that have nothing better to do than rain on others parade. We see it all the time.

Your intentions are fully admirable.
I hope you are not referring to my last post on the topic. I am the last person to stand in the way of innovation. I have a track record of posting helpful how-tos on a number of different forums. Those are just things I am saying about myself - you can decide to believe me or not. What can't be argued, however, is that I am a person who walks the walk. I am possibly the only person on SS that had 100% of my Christmas presents - and, thankfully, there were a lot of them :) - comprised of MV parts and supplies that were purchased from our fellow SS members in the SS Classifieds. I am putting my money where my mouth is.

All of us here are free to reverse engineer or outright originally design anything we want. Go for it. We are free men in a free country.

We should not lose sight of the fact, however, that in this case things are a little different. We are not talking about taking sales away from Walmart or Home Depot or Harbor Freight or NAPA. We are talking about our fellow members here. The guys who, for example, spend their own $$ to make sure that the TMs we need are always available for downloading.

I am not passing judgement. I am not saying that this should be done, or that it should not be done. I am simply pointing out that in this case the situation is a little different. And that furthermore anyone who decides to do it (or not do it) should perhaps be mindful of that fact.

That's all, and if that is pizzing on the parade, then so be it. I believe in watching your buddy's back and in this case that is on both sides of the aisle. (And that is one heck of a mixed metaphor!) :)

Last edited:

3dAngus

Not at all plym49. The OP said, "I am a machinist, and want to make my own spin filter adapters. Does anybody have the specs (dimensions) for either or both fuel or oil filter setups?
Thanx guys. "

He didn't say he was going to steal anything, copy any propreitary data or anything else. Just looking for information that is out there and available to all of us. I was just trying to reassure the individuals wanting to put forth their creative efforts to mill out an adapter to go for it.

You wouldn't believe the creative designs we've seen on SS, from towbars to alternator brackets. I believe in supporting creativity, not destroy it while still in a state of mind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks