• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody have any specs to make spin filter adapters?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are guys on here that have engines that have their side ventilated. The filter housings could be removed from one of those engines and shipped to the OP in order to help him out. He was asking for help on a site that prides itself on helping.

I wanted to make my own tow bar pins but I can't. So my Brother made me two to test. I called a shop to see what it would cost to make twenty five of them. For that many it was going to cost almost as much as buying them direct from the manufacturer.

Problem solved.

markehle

I think the whole key is - Are people going to copy current designs and make parts to sell? No one is as far as I can tell, at least I'm not. So the folks who already sell them are in no danger.

But - if folks who have the tools and the skill to make parts themselves ask for help, others of us who might be able to offer help in terms of dimensions and part numbers or even their own designs should not be made to like we are doing something wrong. Those of you with enough money can still choose to buy your parts.

cummins7

Got the alluminum and hex stock at work today, I'll record what I come up with and if anyone else is interested pm me and I'll give ya what I come up with material and dimensions.

Chevyman_15237

$225 plus shipping for filters and plates... I would like to try to make my own also. I have read on here about issues with the alum adapter plates (expand/contract/oil leaks/etc).. would it be bettter to make them out of steel? I am also interested in making a set, I have the means and materials available... time is the issue! :grd:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron, If I was a machinist and had access to the tools and had the knowledge to build them-I'd do it in a second. Say it did take 10 hours to do the first set, how long would it take to make a 2nd or 3rd set? You could be WELL ahead money wise in a couple hours. To the OP, are you thinking of doing the fuel filters also?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll tell you what I'll do.

I have a scrap engine with a oil filter housing sitting at work. I can remove it and send it to one of the two members in this thread that are machinist.

Measurements and drawing can be made and posted.

I also have a spinon oil filter kit sitting on a shelf. A fellow member sent it to me for doing a favor last year.

I do not mave the tools (or desire) to take measurements but I can turn a wrench and put stuff in a box.

Who gets dibs?

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that this post is a *little* off topic ... but...

If we are trying to come up with an oil filter adapter ... has anyone ever considered designing/building a remote type ... and one in which the spin-on filter is mounted right side up (or upside down, according to your perspective and experience).

It seems to me that mounting the filters the other way might just lessen the time it takes to build up oil pressure even more because the filters won't be able to drain down while the engine isn't running.

I'm remembering the old small block Fords that always had a "dry knock" on start-up. As I recall, the cure was always a remote oil filter ... mounted right side up.

I know there would be the additional problems of "where to put them" and you'd have to run some hoses ... and it AIN'T gonna be cheap ... but it might just help out with the oil pressure lag.

Just something to consider.

oddshot
OD Iron used to make one very similar.

joshs1ofakindxj

I'll tell you what I'll do.

I have a scrap engine with a oil filter housing sitting at work. I can remove it and send it to one of the two members in this thread that are machinist.

Measurements and drawing can be made and posted.

I also have a spinon oil filter kit sitting on a shelf. A fellow member sent it to me for doing a favor last year.

I do not mave the tools (or desire) to take measurements but I can turn a wrench and put stuff in a box.

Who gets dibs?
PM sent.

Chevyman_15237

Oddshot... I too was thinking of going to a big truck junk yard and getting a filter setup off of a mack/cummins/detroit etc and putting it on as a remote filter. I drive a mack mixer at my second job; their spin on filters are $5 a piece when you buy a case of them...

joshs1ofakindxj

So we could come up with a screw on adapter that has lines to a remote filter, with the filters positioned opening-up, so they retain oil.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a universal remote mount and hose kit I can draw up the adapters to make that happen.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One series of Oliver tractors had stamped steel adapters. Sadly, the part numbers are no longer available. I made ACAD drawings of the parts before I installed them on my truck. In my opinion the ones for sale are WAY over priced, especially when I know how China machine shop prices are. I may soon work to source the adapters from there and sell them at a reasonable price.
Anyone can feel free to use this drawing for personal machining, but not for commercial purposes. If there are any questions about the drawing, please ask.
Regards Marti

Attachments

joshs1ofakindxj

So that bolt in the bottom half of the drawing holds down the stamped piece that is shown on the top of the drawing on to the motor's filter base, correct?

Is just Permetex or gasket maker used between the sheet metal part and the motor's filter base?

Last edited:

plym49

A sheet metal adapter? You could probably make up a wooden form - male and female - and form them on a press.

plym49

I guess the other question is why a standpipe could not be incorporated into the stock filters or some other method used to prevent them from draining.

dutchguy

One series of Oliver tractors had stamped steel adapters. Sadly, the part numbers are no longer available. I made ACAD drawings of the parts before I installed them on my truck. In my opinion the ones for sale are WAY over priced, especially when I know how China machine shop prices are. I may soon work to source the adapters from there and sell them at a reasonable price.
Anyone can feel free to use this drawing for personal machining, but not for commercial purposes. If there are any questions about the drawing, please ask.
Regards Marti
You are entitled to your opinion, but so am I. I don't know, or care what you do for a living. I only hope that when the communists take YOUR job, you won't whine about it. I'm also now inclined to be totally indifferent to whether anyone uses your drawing for commercial purposes. I am curious about why you say that, also. That said, have a good day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks