• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody have any specs to make spin filter adapters?

dutchguy

In my opinion the ones for sale are WAY over priced, especially when I know how China machine shop prices are. I may soon work to source the adapters from there and sell them at a reasonable price.
Anyone can feel free to use this drawing for personal machining, but not for commercial purposes.
Regards Marti
I guess I'm alone in not liking this concept, and the irony in the above. Sorry. Maybe I just don't understand.

3dAngus

Oh, OK, you're firmly on the buy American plan. I get it now, missed it first time around.

It's an International Economy today. If you invest, you need understand that. There is no going back. We all gotta find a way to get along.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I'm alone in not liking this concept, and the irony in the above. Sorry. Maybe I just don't understand.
No your not alone in your idea that importing sub-standard junk from china is not a good idea . Especially at the expense of american workers . From the start of this thread there have been many members who feel the guys that have done the work to design these should just give the information away , so one of them can find a source in china and line his own pocket without any work on his own . With way of thinking and continued job losses to china no one will even be able to afford the chineese junk they are importing.

3dAngus

I have not seen any one single request to the guys who did the work previous to provide free information.

I have seen some guys read way to much into all this and believe they are getting something for free from the guys who did all the work. Heck, I can go out and pull the measurements and send them in. If everybody worked like above, with fear and overly protection of non copywrite and non patented material, we would be in the dark ages.

Edison, Tesla, Marconi, Henry Ford, Newton, Da Vinci all used ideas from others and improved upon them, but the origin of many of their own ideas were not theirs at all in many cases.
It doesn't make them some kind of crook, it makes them an entrepreneur or mathemetician or inventor with a better idea. That's how it works in America, and always has. Stealing someone else's protected work is another matter for another forum. It doesn't belong here.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not seen any one single request to the guys who did the work previous to provide free information.

I have seen some guys read way to much into all this and believe they are getting something for free from the guys who did all the work. Heck, I can go out and pull the measurements and send them in. If everybody worked like above, with fear and overly protection of non copywrite and non patented material, we would be in the dark ages.

Edison, Tesla, Marconi, Henry Ford, Newton, Da Vinci all used ideas from others and improved upon them, but the origin of many of their own ideas were not theirs at all in many cases.
It doesn't make them some kind of crook, it makes them an entrepreneur or mathemetician or inventor with a better idea. That's how it works in America, and always has. Stealing someone else's protected work is another matter for another forum. It doesn't belong here.
This thread is 6 months old and NO ONE has bothered to spend a hour taking one apart and measuring it , so it looks like they expect someone else to do it for them .

A

A/C Cages

Be carefull when copying someone elses work. I had someone try to copy my cages which I have a patent on. I closed his company down, took his entire income and some, and put a lien on his house since he used it for the loan to start his company.
Never steal an idea espically if its got a patent on it.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok off the adapter topic, to imported products.
The playing field is leveling.
Right now the only way to save money importing from China is via inferior materials & workmanship. Seriously!

Where I work we have sourced dozens of small componants overseas.
Any item that has remotely close tolerances, has not panned out.
We used to get an Aluminum casting out of China, originally it was planned that part would be made complete over seas. Couldn't find a source that could do it right any cheaper than we could, So they would send the castings and we would finish them.
Now they are cast in Northern Michigan and finished in Michigan. The cost is nearly identical, the quality is there everytime, and time from start to product going out the door has decreased. Granted the cost & time of shipping from China is alot of it.

So for the poster that thinks he can get adapters made off shore and make money underselling the couple people here manufacturing them.
Good Luck Buddy! The production quantities (demand for product) just aren't there.

I do wish to thank him for the drawing, might be fun to use a certain shop trailer to make a couple of the adapters with. it would be easier to do on lunch at work, but where's the fun in that!

markehle

This thread is 6 months old and NO ONE has bothered to spend a hour taking one apart and measuring it , so it looks like they expect someone else to do it for them .
I tend not to work in my shop when it's 8 degrees out. :D

As far as using wood to press a sheetmetal version - wasn't there some thread somewhere saying that the thin adapters leaked? I don't think you could make one thick enough and still use wood to press them.

If a person had an aluminum furnace at home, making them out of cast aluminum would be the way to go. That way, there would be only five easy operations to do on them once the pattern was made - cast them, cut off the sprue, clean up the center hole, and face one side then the other.

Chevyman_15237

This site in general is rediculous.... if it's not about making home-made non-purchased adaptor plates then get off the **** thread. Leave politics at the door and lets talk how to make them. Sounds like a bunch of busy bodies with nothing else to gripe about on here attacking people.... the 9th graders I teach are more mature than half the subscribers on here.

oddshot

HOLD YER FIRE!!!!

The remote system has already been done here about 4 years ago! I did a bit of searching and found this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/9410-remote-oil-filters-done-5.html

Unless there have been updates to this system ... it looks like it worked pretty well ... and even got time to oil pressure (cold) down quite a bit.

Maybe we could get one of the old hands to tell us how this all worked out ... somebody coax one of them with a cookie ...

oddshot

oddshot

This site in general is ridiculous.... if it's not about making home-made non-purchased adapter plates then get off the **** thread. Leave politics at the door and lets talk how to make them. Sounds like a bunch of busy bodies with nothing else to gripe about on here attacking people.... the 9th graders I teach are more mature than half the subscribers on here.

Well ... maybe.

I have sounded off a bunch about the way some folks jump all over new guys ... even got banned for it a time or two.

But as a former small businessman ... I gotta agree that its a little low rent to come on a site (FOR FREE) that is pretty much owned and operated by guys that sell this stuff ... and then gripe about the prices they charge.

Somehow that just ain't right.

AS for the DIY stuff ... I'm one of the biggest DIY guys in the world ... I LOVE to do projects like this ...

but somehow ... buying a set of these adapters ... then measuring them ... and posting the info on this forum ?!?!?

That ain't right either.

If your gonna do that kinda stuff ... at least have the common decency to kinda sneak around and do it behind his/their back ... send the info by PM or something.

oddshot

steelypip

Curious - what ideas did DaVinci and Tesla use that came from others?
Leonardo DaVinci borrowed a lot from Archimedes and some from Euchlid, probably from Vitruvius as well (his 'man' figure is an illustration he did for a copy of Vitruvius' De Architectura) His geared systems were generic medieval millworks.

Tesla built directly on James Clerk Maxwell's work with light and electromagnetism in what we now call field theory. Maxwell, in turn was building on Faraday's, Volta's, Franklin (yes, that Franklin), and Ohm's work, among others.

Engineering is like that. Some pointy-headed academic discovers something funny about the universe, and the along comes an engineer who says 'Well what if we did this with that idea of yours?'

plym49

Leonardo DaVinci borrowed a lot from Archimedes and some from Euchlid, probably from Vitruvius as well (his 'man' figure is an illustration he did for a copy of Vitruvius' De Architectura) His geared systems were generic medieval millworks.

Tesla built directly on James Clerk Maxwell's work with light and electromagnetism in what we now call field theory. Maxwell, in turn was building on Faraday's, Volta's, Franklin (yes, that Franklin), and Ohm's work, among others.

Engineering is like that. Some pointy-headed academic discovers something funny about the universe, and the along comes an engineer who says 'Well what if we did this with that idea of yours?'
I'm pretty sure that Archimedes and Euclid were not contemplating flying machines or batttle tanks. Similarly, unless I am mistaken, Maxwell et al did not innovate resonant, polyphase circuits. Amazing that compared to their genius, we are haggling over an oil filter mount. Sorry for getting this thread off topic.

jerseyjeep2003

One series of Oliver tractors had stamped steel adapters. Sadly, the part numbers are no longer available. I made ACAD drawings of the parts before I installed them on my truck. In my opinion the ones for sale are WAY over priced, especially when I know how China machine shop prices are. I may soon work to source the adapters from there and sell them at a reasonable price.
Anyone can feel free to use this drawing for personal machining, but not for commercial purposes. If there are any questions about the drawing, please ask.
Regards Marti
Thank you, This is a tremendous help. It's not that I couldn't or didn't want to be bothered, I just wanted to have my machining all done before I took it apart on my next scheduled oil change. I am really surprised just where this thread went. WOW! You'd think I was trying to steal top secret plans for a nuclear warhead. As I stated before, this is for my own personal use, not to be manufactured anywhere, not overseas, not in the USA, not in Mexico. So don't worry guys, nobody's business will be threatened in any way. Again I thank you for this drawing. I will now return you all to your regularly scheduled argument/debate.

jerseyjeep2003

Ron, If I was a machinist and had access to the tools and had the knowledge to build them-I'd do it in a second. Say it did take 10 hours to do the first set, how long would it take to make a 2nd or 3rd set? You could be WELL ahead money wise in a couple hours. To the OP, are you thinking of doing the fuel filters also?
I would like to do fuel filters too, buuut, wow, asking for the specs on them might set off an international incident..lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks