• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone curious about the M35A3?

M35guy

I got bored, and did a Yahoo image search for M35A3 pictures, and found some major differences between the A2 and A3 variants. the A3 has some nice stuff goin for it. mainly a nice setup with singles, and all terrain tires, which seem to be common now, a setup on the underside of the hood I believe for sound insulation, and the front end slightly resembles a 5 tons somewhat. I gotta wonder whats under the hood for power, along with road speeds.

Heres a picture of the A3 variant that may show some interesting stuff for you. Note also the large muffler on the truck, and the wheels are different too. no more NDT tires.

M1075

Not to mention that CAT engine, Allison auto tranny, and central tire inflation! That second pic shows a good comparison with a stock deuce.

Crazyguyla

Also, bolt together split rims, split front/rear brake system.. bad points.. Headlights on the fenders(have to watch out for trees now) LOL.. CTIS likes to Cr*pout, no more PTO winch. :twisted:

Hookin1

M35A3 pro's.....tire inflation,muffler,sound proofing in the cab,power steering,air seats,and automatic transmission.Hydraulic winch.(no more driveshaft right next to the oilpan and radiator)and with hydraulics you can add on to the sytem easier.

Con's....pop riveted extension on the cowl to extend engine compartment,to fit the piece of junk 3116 cat engine,(i work for CAT so believe me when i say that.don't get me wrong it is a good engine when it's right,but start having injector problems and it would be cheaper to change the engine.)exhaust is behind the cab(just dos'nt look right)and the headlights on the fender.

Just my 2cents

:lost:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll bet that hood pad could be trimmed to work on M35/A1/A2 models..........

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
See? I was right!

rofl

I thought the hood was modified (lengthened-). My bad.

aua :oops:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a "functions" kind of guy and like to compare the things that actually do or don't make a difference, not just features that impress somebody looking at the truck.
Covering the right side of the vehicle with a huge blind spot (air intake/exhaust) is not good. At a show once, I stood in that area and took some pictures without the driver even noticing me.
External air filter is good, keeps the air cooler, but like the 5-ton placement better (on top of the fender).
The axles are the same. Shocks are bigger. Same axle breather valves.
The CTIS has limited usefulness.
How long does it take to cycle from 60 psi to 10 and then back to 60? Twenty minutes? Can't really be used in sub zero weather. Needs air dryer, which must be heated around the clock in cold weather unless an alcohol evaporator is added.
The wheels and tires add 1,000 lb of unsprung weight to the vehicle.

Like the straight shackles on the bumper and the single centered one, but don't know if that's stock.
No multifuel. The Cat engine (3126?) could probably be critized also, but don't know enough about it (Glow plugs, how long can it operate at full power, cold weather starting problems, etc).
Tires are not much better than NDCC's on wet pavement. Read somewhere that bias ply tires are better in sand. Bias ply tires have tougher sidewalls for off-road duty, 12-ply on the 1100's.

Top speed about the same as the A2.

Don't like automatic transmission.
Don't like headlights on the fenders (or in the bumpers like the FMTV's). Easily damaged.
West coast mirrors are no good off road.
Don't care for comfort items in a tactical vehicle. Sound proofing etc.

Anybody know how long the ESP program lasted?

I like to say that "some things can't be improved on just made differently".

This should get a discussion going. :twisted:

h1crwchf

M35A3

Last time I was in Richmond VA there were a dozen M35s in the lot, one of which was an A3. All of the trucks there are currently frozen. Last A3 I saw auctioned on GL went for over $20K, I think it was in FLA. IMHO I like the simpleness and the utility of the A2. The more things you add to a truck the more things can go wrong, the more things can break, and the more money comes out of my wallet. I looked at the A3 in Richmond, nice truck but I could just see the $$$ in repairs if that thing breaks. Did not see any added utility in the A3. I don't mind inflating tires individually.....

Dave

Crazyguyla

The ESP program is mostly for the National Guard now. When i was stationed in the Tx Guard in 2001, the y had a shop set up in the Dallas area CSMS to convert A2 to A3 Dueces. I don't know if the program is still active. When i deployed in 2004 with the LA ARNG to Iraq, there was a handful of new A3 that deployed, but mostly A2's. Considering the cost of a new LMTV compared to retro fitting an A2 to an A3, i think the ESP will be around for awhile.

I read that the injector rack on the CAT 3116 needs to be adjusted every 3000 miles? i know thats a lot of miles for a duece, but consider if it needs to be done for a semi annual or annual service, then the truck needs to be sent up to support maintnece to be adjusted. I guess the powers that be don't think the orginizational mechanic can adjust the rack *L*

Marcus

rmgill

There's a great photo array over at webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/album/30269727THfhDJcfRD

The exhaust is in front of the cab and the insulation on the engine compartment is probably there to help reduce the sound and heat signature of the truck.

There are hydraulics to drive the winch rather than a pto shaft.

Seems to me the black out headlight is in a useful place now.

Looks like a new driver's seat.

Oh, side marker lights and a pattern of 5 rear marker lights as well as backup lights.

Muffler on the exhast.

Adamlee

US-style CTIS in general

From what I've heard & read the CTIS systems used on several different US tactical vehicles are total crap in the field.

Lots of downtime, sensitive as hell, the Russian CTIS is apparently the hot lick. Even the old DUKW CTIS is supposedly more reliable.

Heard that after many trucks were continuously down from CTIS troubles, units in Iraq/Afghanistan de-activate the CTIS units on the trucks because they deadline trucks and cause so many headaches. Since many of the wheeled vehicle fleet uses a version of CTIS of some type or other, from the Hmmwv to the HEMMT, well, that can be a problem for transport in an active theater, eh?

Personally I think unless CTIS were less dependent on hi-tech goodies to make it activate, and more of a mechanical system, it's a useless hi-tech feature in the field.

My 2 cents....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each tire contains 35 cubic feet of air at 60 psi (4x atmosphere), that's about 200 cubic ft to pump from 15 psi.
I think the standard compressor on the deuce is like 7 cubic ft/min (Need to check that, but should be close). It would take a while to cycle.

Ryan, the blackout driving light in the bumper is not so great. It produces a much smaller illuminated field mounted low and it weakens the bumper, which now "protects" the hydraulic tank for the winch.

Images below show 50 years of automotive "evolution". Sad, isn't it.

Attachments

Adamlee

M35A3 with S280 commo box

BTW, M35Guy, I do like that S280 commo shelter in the bed of those M35A3's in the first picture....

But since I want some cargo space for junk in my bed as well as a little "camping" space, I'm thinking about an S250 short shelter.

red devils dude

my local marine recruiter was in the transportation core he said CTIS is and always will be a HUGE pain in the back side
takes 60 mins to fill a tire(what he said) wheel weighs 300lbs(also what he said) so I'm thinking bad idea.

rmgill

cranetruck said:
Ryan, the blackout driving light in the bumper is not so great. It produces a much smaller illuminated field mounted low and it weakens the bumper, which now "protects" the hydraulic tank for the winch.
I think you should include this as well. Just add another 10 years. :wink:

Certain things are more or less a compromise. I'd have to say that the hydraulic winch allows more flexibility and additional options.

Attachments

hot rod deuce

Im sure you all know the head lights were moved for a reason right? Ever tried to put an aftercooler between those head lights? Yeah thats fun. i realy had to cram and cram to make it work, they just moved the lights and avoided a lot of BS I saw a pick of the motor on GL one time way back and they do use a way bigger aftercooler and radiator.

The Hydo winch is also a very nice plus expecialy when you have evey one and their brother running it not knowing the weak spots. Also alot easier to add a rear winch 8)

Crazyguyla

The driver seat is new, it's an high back bucket seat with aiur shocks to control bounce. it has a dail on it to dail in the driver's wieght for better ride. I had installed one in my NG duece and makes a big diffrence on long convoys.

The 3 point seat belts have a long pieces of steel added to each corner of the cab to mount the shoulder pivot. There is a Modification kitr( i think ) to install 3 point seat belts in A2's

As far as how simple CTIS systems can be, the civilian hummer (H1) has a simple CTIS system. Switch for front and rear axle inflate/ defate, electric air pump, air pressure gauge for front and rear pressures, and check vavles. No stupid CPU to die during operations. If the military tried something simple like this, some contractor would be out of $$$$.. bad politics *L* rofl