• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arkansas MV Registration

ARYankee

I am attempting to get as much info as possible for Arkansas MV owners to make our lives of owning MVs much easier. Here is some info that I recently attained:

1. You HAVE to have a CDL for anything above 26,001 lbs. The only exceptions are for the military and farm use. I'm hoping to possibly get this changed.

2> Antique tags for everyone!!!!! The only limitations for antique tagging is age and if it isn't close to original. So any MV 25 years or older can get antique tags. Here is a link to where you can reference this and other laws: LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Arkansas Code Research Tool

The law pertaining to antique tags is: Title 27 Transportation; Subtitle 2 Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing; Chapter 15 Registration and Licensing--Special Uses; Subchapter 22 Historical or Special Interest Vehicles

I'll be adding more to this in the future.

supertech

Farm Tags

Thought about going the Antique tags route, but the DMV said that I could not pull a trailer. The price for tags was $9.75, and you do not have to renew, it is a none expiring tags. I don't think that anyone would mess with you, if was a miltary trailer or was painted OD green.

I opted to go the Farm Tag route. I cannot haul for profit. Maxed out the weight for 26,000, and the tag was about $102.00 for the plate and tags. I don't know what renewal will be, but should less than $102.00 a year. The reason I went with that high of rating, is that I will be installing a dump bed and will be hauling a max of 5 ton's at a time for maintenance of my driveway. The gross weight should be in the neighborhood of 24,000 #'s. Plus it give's me the option to pull a trailer. I have never been stopped in my area (Russellville) running farm tag's. I have hauled several loads in my dump truck with farm tags. Just keep the vehicle maintained and don't make the vehicle look unsafe by overloading.

ARYankee

You do have a point about the weight. In your case that would be the way to go. Now I used mine to move my parents and what not. The main thing is that you aren't using the antique tags for business use. You can still pull a trailer with it.

Another reason why I started this thread was that folks were getting different answers and results when attempting to register their MVs. That is why I am collecting data about our laws and where to find them. I'm also in the process of working with our legislators to redo somethings and make some laws.

Welder Sam

MMMMMMMMMMMM........ i just want to get the wrecker tagged!!!! i gotta hankerin for it now!:driver::driver::driver::driver::driver: feel free to volunteer my trucks as needed to help with the changes bro:jumpin:

supertech

Went back through the check book tonight. When using Farms Tags you are going per axle not weight. I have a '96 GMC 5500 Dump truck, it has a single rear axle. I grossed it out to the max of 30,000 for the truck, it has hydraulic brakes and it only cost 67.50 a year. Compared to the duece with an extra axle, only grossing 26,000 is $102.00.. I have a CDL so I tend to play by the rules. I feel safer in the duece than I do in the GMC, Go Figure.

ARYankee

I just got commercial tags for mine because the computer and Little Rock said the deuce is too big for antique and regular tags.

This is my whole point about doing this. At least you know where to look and can show them the proof. No where in the law for antique tags does it say anything about a vehicle's size or weight restricting it from being tagged as antique.

ARYankee

Huh. I wonder if she had an old copy. I have read through the law several times and there isn't anything about that in there. Very peculiar.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got antique tags for my 813 so I know she is wrong or else my girl was. You also don't need a title if the vehicle is over 25 years old a bill of sale is enough and if it is under $3200 i think it is sales tax free too!

jasonjc

They tryed to tell me that at the local DMV, when I tryed to get tags for my 5 ton. I said I have 3 other truck all ready tagged that way. She made a call to her boss who call some one eles who called back in a few min's and said it was fine and to tag it. I think the "can haul over a 1,000lbs"gets them confussed:confused:.

ARYankee

She is wrong and I think jasonjc may have a point about where they are getting hung up on. Like I said this is why I am doing this. Check the link out from my first thread and follow to where I said and it is there in black and white :) As far as paying sales tax, that went up at the beginning of the year to somewhere around $4,000. I'll look for the exact number and post it up.

rebel_raider

I tried the different office approach, and it didn't work out so well. Maybe that was because I waited too long in between tries. The first time I tried to get tags was about this time last year, and I went to the office here in El Dorado. Told her I wanted antique tags, she asked what it was and I showed her a picture. She no that's too big. I told her I knew of others that were antique tagged. She said ask them where and who tagged it, because they shouldn't have been able to. So now, I try again, but I go to the office in Smackover. It's a lot smaller, usually a lot more lenient. Walk in the door and it's the same lady, but she doesn't recognize me(whew). We go through basically the same thing again. She looks in her book, and shows me, where it says anything over a 1 ton pickup is ineligible for antique tags. She tried to put it in on a regular tag, no go there. So I end up with a "B" commercial tag. I'm not that worried about it, but it would have been nice to only have to pay for a tag once.

jasonjc

It's "HER" book a 3 ring binder? They did not have the antique tags at all the office's a few years ago. When they started to put them at all the offices they made that "book". I think some one goofed it up. When my lady looked in it and I told her that I had others truck with the tag she made a call and then another and then said ok. If your lady would have listened to you and called LR you would have the tag.

I found a link to the newwer 2010 Arkansas Code:

2010 Arkansas Code
Title 27 - Transportation
Subtitle 2 - Motor Vehicle Registration And Licensing
Chapter 15 - Registration And Licensing -- Special Uses
Subchapter 22 - Historical or Special Interest Vehicles
§ 27-15-2206 - Limitations on use.

Share | http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...ubchapter-22/&tt=0&captcha_provider=recaptchahttp://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-27/subtitle-2/chapter-15/subchapter-22/27-15-2206/#http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-27/subtitle-2/chapter-15/subchapter-22/27-15-2206/#http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-27/subtitle-2/chapter-15/subchapter-22/27-15-2206/#

27-15-2206. Limitations on use.

(a) (1) Historic or special interest vehicles may be used for the same purposes and under the same conditions as other motor vehicles of the same type except that, under ordinary circumstances, such vehicles may not be used to transport passengers for hire.

(2) At special events that are sponsored or in which participation is by organized clubs, the vehicles may transport passengers for hire only if money received is to be used for club activities or to be donated to a charitable nonprofit organization.

(b) Trucks of such classification may not haul material more than one thousand pounds (1,000 lbs.) nor be used regularly in a business in lieu of other vehicles with regular license plates.

It does not say a thing about how big the "truck"is just not to haul more than 1,000lbs.

Last edited:

ARYankee

I posted a link in my first post to the code book. It has all the laws. You will have to do some navigating to get to it though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks