• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arkansas MV Registration

ARYankee

Yeah the whole what Arkansas defines as a farm is unknown to me. I've heard it goes by acreage and it has to be over a certain amount or if you have livestock. I have no idea where to start looking either because I have thought about that as well.

I would suggest at the moment to just suck it up and get a Class B CDL. That is what I am in the process of. I've tried for a couple weeks to find loop holes but it is just too much of a head ache. Hopefully a year from now we will have all this ironed out. Monty is a great contact as far as info on the CDL thing that is who told me what to study in the manual for a Class B test. You should have 2 emails, 1 with the CDL manual and 1 with a listing of testing centers.

As far as registration, that will depend on what office you go to. I have used the same one for the past 3 years registering several MVs and each time it is a whole new experience. I have a couple of contacts for registration but it really won't matter because most of the time they call Little Rock for confirmation.

Like I said there is some new legislation being worked out to help us out with registration issues and CDL requirements.

Rubenk

Just registered my 1971 M35A2 as an antique last week in NW Arkansas.

She told me over 10k lbs wasnt eligible for antique and that I must get commercial. I politely asked for the code number, looked it up standing at the counter and told her it didnt mention weight anywhere on the antique portion. She couldnt tell me where else to look and told me she'd give me the tag but I was responsible for the fine if it came back that I was using them improperly. So I took the tag and paid my 27$!!!

Good luck fellas!

ARYankee

Just registered my 1971 M35A2 as an antique last week in NW Arkansas.

She told me over 10k lbs wasnt eligible for antique and that I must get commercial. I politely asked for the code number, looked it up standing at the counter and told her it didnt mention weight anywhere on the antique portion. She couldnt tell me where else to look and told me she'd give me the tag but I was responsible for the fine if it came back that I was using them improperly. So I took the tag and paid my 27$!!!

Good luck fellas!

You'll be fine. At least you know where to look now. Hopefully by the end of this week I will a draft of some new legislation to fix the registration issues and CDL requirements. If you are interested and want to be kept in the loop send me your email address and I will let you know what is happening.

Rubenk

You'll be fine. At least you know where to look now. Hopefully by the end of this week I will a draft of some new legislation to fix the registration issues and CDL requirements. If you are interested and want to be kept in the loop send me your email address and I will let you know what is happening.
I'm not too worried about it, the fine for misuse is 100$, so i'm in for the same money as a commercial tag for 120$.

Now I just need to get a headlight replaced and some licence plate lights wired and mounted and i'll be road legal!

ARYankee

I'm not too worried about it, the fine for misuse is 100$, so i'm in for the same money as a commercial tag for 120$.

Now I just need to get a headlight replaced and some licence plate lights wired and mounted and i'll be road legal!
Don't worry about the misuse. I got pulled over last year by highway patrol and he didn't say anything about the plates being wrong or anything about no license plate light. He was more concerned about my kids being buckled up and if there was a CDL requirement for driving the deuce. Of course I went through the whole deal on weight and what not. He was cool about it.

License plate lights??? Huh... :) Turns out I don't have any. I'm curious as to the legalities of such. I may have to look that up since it really isn't original equipment for most MVs.

jasonjc

For the antique plate the truck is to be orignal, only safty mod's are premitted. So I don't think that a tag bracket or light is a "safty" thing. My plate is in the map box.

Welder Sam

seeing as how it came with sealed beam headlights, id say leds are fair, however, ive done 2 whole trucks(front and rear), added lollipops, electric wipers, lockout hubs, 395's and some other stuff

as long as its GI, theres not much they can say.

ARYankee

Well I have dug and haven't found anything that says you have to have license plate lights. I looked under lighting and found nothing. This is the closest thing that I found:

*** Legislation is current through the 2012 Fiscal Session and updates ***
*** received from the Arkansas Code Revision Commission through ***
*** April 24, 2012. ***

Title 27 Transportation
Subtitle 2. Motor Vehicle Registration And Licensing
Chapter 15 Registration And Licensing -- Special Uses
Subchapter 22 -- Historical or Special Interest Vehicles

A.C.A. § 27-15-2205 (2012)

27-15-2205. Equipment.

(a) Unless the presence of equipment specifically named by Arkansas law was a prior condition for legal sale within Arkansas at the time the historic or special interest vehicle was manufactured for first use, the presence of such equipment shall not be required as a condition for current legal use.

(b) Any motor vehicle of historic or special interest manufactured prior to the date that emission controls were standard equipment on that particular make or model of vehicle is exempted from statutes requiring the inspection and use of emission controls.

(c) Any safety equipment that was manufactured as part of the vehicle's original equipment must be in proper operating condition.

HISTORY: Acts 1975, No. 334, § 5; A.S.A. 1947, § 75-201.12; Acts 2005, No. 2202, § 2.

Here is an excert about displaying the license plate:

*** Legislation is current through the 2012 Fiscal Session and updates ***
*** received from the Arkansas Code Revision Commission through ***
*** April 24, 2012. ***

Title 27 Transportation
Subtitle 2. Motor Vehicle Registration And Licensing
Chapter 14 Uniform Motor Vehicle Administration, Certificate of Title, and Antitheft Act
Subchapter 7 -- Registration and Certificates of Title

A.C.A. § 27-14-716 (2012)

27-14-716. Display of license plates generally.

(a) (1) License plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be attached thereto, one (1) in the front and the other in the rear.

(2) (A) When one (1) plate is issued, it shall be attached to the rear.

(B) License plates for trucks of one (1) ton capacity or larger may be displayed either on the front or rear of the vehicle.

(C) The license plate issued for a motorcycle required to be registered under this chapter shall be attached to the rear thereof.

(b) Every license plate shall, at all times, be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12'') from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

(c) Placing any type of cover over a license plate which makes the license plate more difficult to read or which reduces the reflective properties of the license plate is prohibited.

Welder Sam

Regarding farm tags.....

You have to have a farm number. Go to the DF&A, and give them the farm number and youre set. Theres 4 different classifications of farm tag tho. If i can locate them ill post that later.

This sounds good for my wrecker. No cdl or towing/hauling/useage restrictions. Just the 150mi radius.

Breach27

Hey guys, need some help. Getting ready to buy a m931, maybe a duece if it doesn't work out. I am having trouble finding anyone to insure an MV in Nortwest Arkansas. What insurance company did you use.

ARYankee

Well I have the MV bill draft so if any one is interested send me a PM and I will email you a copy. I'm looking for folks input and to see if any other issues need to be added.

I do plan on adding what forms we will need for registration so that will be in black and white, and hopefully make registering a little easier for some of us that have had issues.

I did find out some interesting info about the CDL situation for the larger trucks and that is you DO NOT need a CDL to drive it as long as you are not doing anything considered "commercial use" or agricultural. It has to be personal use. I got this straight from the head of Arkansas Highway Patrol when I was discussing our bill draft and whether it would work and if they supported it. Which he was good with and would support. He told me that he could go out and buy a big rig and trailer and drive it around as long as it was for personal use. Even with that said, it is outlined in the bill draft about not needing a CDL so at least it will be clear and not up to interpretation.

If all goes well it will be up for the committee's review early next year.

Breach27

Well I got my duece registered no problem, but recieved a letter in the mail two days later saying that State Farm was no longer going to insure my truck. According to their underwriters they do not insure those types of vehicles. I even gave the the agent other State Farm Agents names and numbers who insure these vehicles. NO DICE. On the hunt now for insurance and will be using the suggestions of the members on this site.

Registration was easy, took 20 minutes between the Accessing it and walking out with Antique tags.

dc9137

I know you all are talking about big boys, but I have a question about an M1009. Did I read where you can't tow a trailer with antique tags? Is that for commerce or in general? Could I tow my boat or camper with an antique tag?

3dAngus

Its probably just your agent rather than State Farm.

They would be losing customers all over the country if that was the case.

I have two houses and seven vehicles as well as life insurance with State Farm but if they tried to pull that on me they will lose ALL my business.

Try it with another SF agent and if they insue it dump the one you are with now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks