• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arkansas MV Registration

ARYankee

will just have to call superlift and ask them if there is enough room. Should be. what is that bill you are talking about.
Sounds good to me. The bill deals with registering military vehicles and the whole CDL conflict with the larger ones. I can email you a copy or give you an actual hard copy of the draft.

ARYankee

Just an update on the Former Military Vehicle bill legislation. I am working on ironing out any issues before it is brought up in committee. Hopefully, if all goes well, it will be ready to be brought up next month. I will keep you all informed on what's going.

ARYankee

Another Update! I was told that the final bill draft will be filed in the morning. Another step closer. If anyone has been missed in getting a copy of the final draft let me know and I will email it to you.

ARYankee

I just checked out the website and the bill is on the Transportation Committee's agenda for 3/5. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that no one has any issues. Stay tuned....................

ARYankee

No word yet on how it did in committee. I did see where DFA did their analysis and posted the pdf of it. I printed it out and I am proactively prepparing to address any of their issues if they come up. I did notice that if this bill is passed it becomes effective on Jan. 1, 2014. I'll keep everyone updated.

ARYankee

I have an update. The bill hasn't been brought up in committee yet. Rep. Hammer has been dealing with some other bills. I'm meeting up with him along with a couple folks from the transportation committee today at 1300 to go over the bill and any concerns. This way it will be brought up in the transportation committee's meeting tomorrow. I will post an update on how it went on here and Facebook this evening after I get home.

Stein12501

ARYankee would like to know how your bill is going and how and who got the ball rolling on it. I would like to see the same thing here in Missouri. I know Illinois has it and it's time that Missouri looks into it. Without something like this I believe that it will keep getting harder to register and maintain plates and insurance on our vehicles. As of now my 923 is registered as 30K Farm tag and insured with State Farm with a 100 mile radius. I own a Deuce this is tagged Historical and insured through Hagerty. I live near the State capital and the Commercial Vehicle Inspection buzzards are everywhere. Sorry but most of them have little idea of what they are doing just looking for voilations. So I would love to try to get something that was understood by both the State and Us. Most people I know in this hobby take great pride in maintaining a roadworthy vehicle if they know what is required. I would appreciate any info to see if I can start the ball rolling on this end. Thanks so much for what you are doing.

ARYankee

ARYankee would like to know how your bill is going and how and who got the ball rolling on it. I would like to see the same thing here in Missouri. I know Illinois has it and it's time that Missouri looks into it. Without something like this I believe that it will keep getting harder to register and maintain plates and insurance on our vehicles. As of now my 923 is registered as 30K Farm tag and insured with State Farm with a 100 mile radius. I own a Deuce this is tagged Historical and insured through Hagerty. I live near the State capital and the Commercial Vehicle Inspection buzzards are everywhere. Sorry but most of them have little idea of what they are doing just looking for voilations. So I would love to try to get something that was understood by both the State and Us. Most people I know in this hobby take great pride in maintaining a roadworthy vehicle if they know what is required. I would appreciate any info to see if I can start the ball rolling on this end. Thanks so much for what you are doing.
Well that would be me that got this thing rolling after hearing issues from other folks and having some of my own. I started off by researching what our state currently has for laws and then getting info on other MV friendly states' laws, such as Arizona, Texas, Illinois. I got a group of us together and we met with a state rep. that was sympathetic to our issues. From there he got me in touch with our state's legislative research folks and began drafting a bill. So far this has been a year in the works. The hardest part is getting all sides satisfied. Compromising is a huge part of this slow moving evolution. It takes a lot of time and patience. Most are not because it all boils down to one thing $$$$$. That is the issue that I am having to address with our bill presently.

I would be more than glad to help you out in any way possible. If you click on my link in post #89 it will take you to our proposed bill draft.

ARYankee

Here is what I have from the meeting in a nutshell. The DFA & Highway Patrol have concerns with losing $$$$$ so the bill is dead at the moment. The concern stems that they think (they don't have ANY numbers) the annual fee of $20 in the bill will cost them revenue because their thoughts are that the majority of us that own the larger vehicles have them registered as weighted which is costly. I could see that if it was true but most of us are registered under antique so that means a one time $7 fee and done. They would be good with the bill if the larger vehicles would go with the weighted numbers which is ridiculous because we don't use them very often. I've got to come up with some numbers and see if I can't somehow negotiate some middle ground that is acceptable by both sides. If it isn't possible then we are done and won't be pushing this any further. I don't want to bring any more attention to us than necessary because it could have some negative consequences.

Last edited:

Breach27

Once again thank you ARyankee for all your hard work. But I agree with you that it may be time to back off. If they really sit down and think about they will figure out that we are doing antique tags and they will change the requirements. I just registered my M923 as an antique.

ARYankee

Once again thank you ARyankee for all your hard work. But I agree with you that it may be time to back off. If they really sit down and think about they will figure out that we are doing antique tags and they will change the requirements. I just registered my M923 as an antique.
Rep. Hammer is going to give me a call tonight and we are going to discuss that. He mentioned it after the meeting today about whether or not we should keep pursuing this. I'm going to get his input and go from there. Depending on how our discussion goes, I may attempt one more try at getting us some sort of middle ground. I do agree with you about them changing it up and that is what I don't want to happen although there is some talk of the antique laws changing in the future.

ARYankee

I haven't had a chance to speak with Rep. Hammer yet. His father passed away Thursday morning so I'm trying to give him some time before I bother him with this. I am beginning to lean on the cautious side of letting this got for now and regrouping with a better plan. If I do I would like to work closer with DFA and Highway Patrol for a better solution that will fit both sides. I was told during the meeting from one of the seasoned members of the committee that there are a lot of newly elected members on it and that more than likely the second DFA or Highway Patrol brings up the possible unsubstantiated loss of revenue that it will be quashed. The loss of revenue thing equates to the idea of both offices thinking that most of the larger MVs in the state are registered under weighted tags which if that was true and they had the proof then I would say yes I agree with them. The larger MVs make a small amount of the overall total of MVs in the state. I'm estimating that between 75 to 150 are the larger MVs. Now out of that figure I estimate that between 90 - 95% are registered as antique with the other 5-10% being farm tags. The issue that I have with just dropping this is, obviously, all the work that I have put into it but also the fact that both offices have no figures or hard proof of any kind to say that they will lose revenue if this is passed. If I pursue this than we are looking at getting a big spotlight thrown on us. At the moment all is good, not perfect, but we can manage. I'm thinking that a better planned and thought out process to tackle this in the next session may be our best bet.

I did find out for sure that we do NOT need a CDL in the state of Arkansas to drive any large trucks as long as you are not involved in commerce. That was one big issue that I was concerned with and was attempting to clarify with this bill but the head of HP has said it consistently that we don't.

I"ll let everyone know what the final decision is but if anyone would like to add their thoughts or ideas, I'm listening.

ARYankee

they tried to put com tags on my 1 ton dually few yrs back, I said no n after a bit she gave me my reg tag, why can't they just all use the same book

It used to be a big problem. I think alot of it has to do with the fact the folks in the office have to know so many laws and regulations. I know the antique tag law changed a couple years ago which sucks. I haven't had any issues since around 2017/2018 when they attempted to reject my title for my humvee after I had it for several months. I got some legislators involved and it got remedied quickly. Eductaing yourself on the requirements and laws helps alot. When I used to have issues, I'd make them call the main office in Little Rock. They would get off the phone and say, you are right....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks