• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auto crane 5005h on 925

Rmtaunton

Oh it will happen , I think most have thought after they acquire one of these MV they work so well as utility as well as fun , I found out after I put a little crane on the deuce I needed a bigger one for the 5 ton the truck the crane is on now has been used every weekend for this or that , it's like a microwave never thought you needed it till you have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys think green iron multiplies...

you would not believe me if I told you how many cranes I have.

Almost as bad as bench vises!

gimpyrobb

Oh and hope can still pick your brain

Call any time. The best advise I could give is when you think you have enough bracing and gussets, add 40% more!

As stated earlier, I built the crane in my deuce bed. I put a 5/8 plate under the bed to mount it to and spread the load. Once I used it, the bed floor flexed DOWN! So I had to add braces below the 5/8 plate and just to be sure it was rock solid, I put another brace at the top of the bed.

Shes pretty stable now.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh and hope can still pick your brain
That'll be like picking a tin can after somebody spilled the beans. :mrgreen:

Only joking Gimpy. I know there's a few beans left in there.

Gimp I know and yes will have mag drill !!! Can't find a good one to buy but I am patient good news is I can borrow one wouldn't attempt 20 7/8 holes with out
Funny you should mention a mag drill. This showed up Wednesday. Haven't played with it yet but I guarentee it'll be better than a hand drill. With the amount of metal work I've been doing recently, the hand drill has worn out its welcome and made this an easy upgrade. Now to find some annular bits...

20170210_210058.jpg

20170210_211029.jpg

Rmtaunton

That'll be like picking a tin can after somebody spilled the beans. :mrgreen:

Only joking Gimpy. I know there's a few beans left in there.

Funny you should mention a mag drill. This showed up Wednesday. Haven't played with it yet but I guarentee it'll be better than a hand drill. With the amount of metal work I've been doing recently, the hand drill has worn out its welcome and made this an easy upgrade. Now to find some annular bits...

View attachment 666080

View attachment 666082
Is that a dewalt mag drill , wow!!

Rmtaunton

I'm sure you can get an idea of what you need by looking at the stock install(ford).
Yea the bed has nothing to do with the crane , if you see the drawing above pulse the 1/2 inch 12x12 tube steel as riser it's prob gonna be 500 plus lbs of steel and bolts ,,, over kill ,,,, yes ,, but I have the steel plus the steel off diner truck :) and yes besides an MV my new favorite thing is a crane

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a dewalt mag drill , wow!!

I didn't know they made mag drills either until I started the hunt for one. Well priced and comes with most of the popular options, including both chuck styles in quick-change.

So you're going full hydraulic if I understand correctly?

I'm going to try to go with electric/hydraulic if I can. I really don't want to have to add the PTO, pump and all the other stuff. I'm not that great with hydraulics so I'd be much happier with a self-contained hydraulic system. I've got plenty of battery power now and would much rather just hook up two cables instead.

Rmtaunton

Oh hydro is easy I already have one so just need a selector , prince is my go to , but I thought about elec decided against but now as of today my cousin sent this

gimpyrobb

I didn't know they made mag drills either until I started the hunt for one. Well priced and comes with most of the popular options, including both chuck styles in quick-change.

So you're going full hydraulic if I understand correctly?

I'm going to try to go with electric/hydraulic if I can. I really don't want to have to add the PTO, pump and all the other stuff. I'm not that great with hydraulics so I'd be much happier with a self-contained hydraulic system. I've got plenty of battery power now and would much rather just hook up two cables instead.
I don't know the charging system you have available, but if I were to do electric/hydro, I'd have a (pony)motor spinning an alt to power it.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know the charging system you have available, but if I were to do electric/hydro, I'd have a (pony)motor spinning an alt to power it.
Nothing is original. Delco Remy 100A alternator, (4) Group 31 batteries, new oversized wiring for both positive and ground. The Autocrane rep is supposed to be putting together a spec sheet with the various power requirements for several sizes of cranes. His general concensus is that I can do the majority of the short work without the truck even running though. This is the important part for me. Of course longer runtime would require running the truck but those times would be occasional. If the truck is parked, it's plugged into the Batteryminder anyways. The alternator wouldn't have to play catchup from previous uses. It would just have to maintain during a current extended use.

I've looked at a couple of cranes but am still in the window shopping phase. I'm not in a big rush but am prepared to buy if something pops up just like I want. Everything I've looked at so far would leave me making exceptions though.

Rmtaunton will most likely finish before I even get started. I'm really interested to see this base get installed though. I've been focused on speccing a crane and haven't really thought about the install much.

gimpyrobb

The mount is the most important part, then lift capacity and reach. They are all kinda related so keep that in mind. I have cranes that have hydraulic lift, extend, swing, and hoist. The crane I made for the bed of my deuce has an electric winch and everything else is manual. I want to be able to lift heavy stuff into my bed, but I wanted a small footprint and light weight assembly. Its easy to go bat-sh1t-crazy when it comes to cranes.

I'm probably putting my 4 or 5 thousand pound crane on a trailer so I can load the deuce bed or the trailer bed, and NOT have the crane take all my bed space and/or one side.

The 939 series have that gap between the cab and bed, so there is the perfect place for the install.

tobyS

My crane is mounted in the middle behind the cab on my F600 4x4. It has 51' of stick. It has a really heavy mount to the frame and puts the bearing up nice and high. The 8 channel hydraulic rotator seems to always have a leak and now I have to take the boom apart for what I think is a hydraulic fitting broken on the second stage. I've had it 27 years now, so it deserves a bit of TLC. Sorry, I had a couple of pictures that have dropped off my pics list. The frame is reinforced with 3/8 flat from back shackle to front shackle. Three 105's gave up (almost new) tires for it to have new shoes (when they were plentiful).

tobyS

That's a LOT of stick!

What are you doing for your outriggers?
They (2, one each side) are in the middle and go out at 45* from the crane mount, tube inside tube with a cylinder. I nearly lift the truck up when set. Also on uneven terrain, they can level the truck/crane up. You would be surprised the number of times that you're on a slope and need to get (more) level. They extend a long way and that helps on a down hill side.

The biggest building that I set trusses was 82' wide and 22 ft to the bottom of the truss. I'm guilty of using the rotator too much for moving things and pulling sideways, especially doing demo. I rebuilt it once. I made a cut-hook extension and pull structures down, so have used it hard. The middle section was getting a droop, so I turned it over and added CR wear strips the entire bottom, welding solid, and it cooled to perfectly straight.

I know Gimp is a flatlander... not having a powered crane rotator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks