• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AVM lock out hub installation

nickd

I just received my new lock out hubs from John Tennis and here are a few pictures of the hubs and measurements showing the difference in height compared to the stock hub. The "kit" included replacement hub gaskets, instructions, and 2 hubs. The instructions mentioned removing the hub top cover but that is not necessary for the deuce as there is no clip behind the hub. This is an unbolt the old and install the new modification. It took about an hour of actual work after I rounded up the impact gun. I also jacked up the front axle and checked my wheel bearings (found the passengers side a little loose and tightened it up.

I was unable to get a good picture of the hubs installed due the the lack of side room in the garage. I installed them just in time to clean up and head home so the reinstallation of the rear most drive shaft and a test drive will follow.

The hubs are constructed of a heavy casting of aluminum with steel internals. The hubs are about 1" taller than the stock hubs

Attachments

YankeeDuece

That's about as long as it took me to install them with the same "tool-hunt" situation.
Installation could not have been any easier.
I went on short ride in my development to see if there was any new noises. Nothing new, but also too short a ride to get the square out of the tires.

nickd

Not sure about filling in the 2x4 and 4x4 designations. Maybe in the future "lock "and "free" could be a consideration. It dosen't matter to me either way. I wanted the lock-unlock capability so what it's called dosen't matter to me.

JDToumanian

think you could use solder to fill in the 4x2/4x4?
I'd unbolt that top piece, chuck it in the lathe and turn off the 4x4 / 4x2... At the very least, if you're going to paint them anyway, you could sand blast the letters and fill them with bondo. I don't think solder - even aluminum solder - would give a very good result.

Jon

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I don't like that 4x2/4x4 either but what if we leave cosmetics aside and better take a closer look inside? Are they really as strong as they appear?
I think it would be interesting trying a head to head comparison of the innerds/measurements of a std. cast Ouverson vs. AVM, since final retail price seems to be very close!

Hopefully next week I will have both, side by side..... and let you know!

G.

sprucemt

Had them in my hand today. Seemed pretty darn stout to me. Flat rate shipping within the US no less. Painting the face black, the lettering will minimize. Or better yet do a camo job on the face.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So there's 3 types of lockouts available, what is the height of the other 2?

YankeeDuece

AVM was the first to make a lock-out hub for the 2 1/2 ton Rockwell axel back in the early '50's.

Last I heard there was only 2 hub manufactures left. I don't recall which company dropped-out or just refused to not produce w/o a 50+/- unit commitment.

As for the 4x4 or 4x6 ...good point, however, let's hear fron the bobbed deuce crowd!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warn used to make them too. I have a pic box somewhere in the garage with pics of them I took in 1981. If I ever find it I'll post them.

nickd

Here are the pictures of the hubs installed and painted to match the truck. I ireinstalled the rear most drive shaft and took it for a test drive. I also removed the tow bar from the bumper to its new home in the bed. Steering (with the air assist) was noticily different (easire) most likely due to the removal of the weight on the front bumper and the lack of resistance of the front axle. The front "dance" on a tight turn was gone.

Attachments

joec

Looks factory!!! Nothing a little paint cant cure!!! Depending on how new tires are. Put about 60psi in them will make the truck steer easier. You can make a tire air line with a gland hand to a air hose. Turn the service valve on and you can air down and up whatever you want. First thing i made when i got the truck done.

You can get the hand at napa andthe air chuck with the air pressure built into the nozzle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks