• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(Back to!) converting to a tractor!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True!

"Spooky" as in, they look like they go together. Almost like they were in the same book. Classic. Very, "retro."

B&W photos are always, "spooky" though.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding this for the update, and a bump.

The decision has been made.

I'm doing it.

The order has been placed for the necessary parts, and the order has been given, to move ahead with the mission.

My deuce will be a tractor.

I'm feeeling kind of ---> :|

Looking for that "support" my wife is always telling me people need.

p.s. - cargo bed and other items mentioned earlier in this thread are now for sale.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the cargo bed, (deuce) headache rack, complete troop seats, NOS bow set, (4) NOS end curtains (2 OD vinyl and 2 OD canvas), and an extra tailgate, buyer picks everything up in Albion, IN ... (I'd like to sell the lot) ...

P.O.R. (Price On Request), PM for it.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll add this post for the bump, otherwise I would just edit above.

I've made great head-way on the way to completing the tractor project. It looks like the parts I need are lining up, (as far as obtaining them). The above parts are all sold or are spoken for.

After talking to Eric (Miltrucks), the rear fenders from a 5-ton may be a bit large. The ones on his lovely rig are from a 2 1/2 ton tractor.

Anyone seen a set of rear (2 1/2 ton) fenders out there anywhere, or know where some are leaning up against the wall in a barn somewhere?? I'm looking for a set.

Thanks in advance.

Capt.Marion

Post a link to this in the Deuce hotrodding section so more people see it. Unless you don't want all of the "input"! I hope this works out, it looks like it will!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck on a set of quarter fenders. Ottocraft in Tracy City TN has a very beat up M275 that you MIGHT get the quarter fenders off of. I have 1 very bent one and SECO has a very bent one. I would get a generic set from saturn surplus, think they are under 40$.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! Thanks for the tip, hndrsonj! I left a message with Saturn. I understand what you are telling me.

Any opinions on how "bad" 5-ton fenders will look on a 2 1/2 ton tractor? I plan on running 9.00x20 tires, and not changing to 11.00x20s if I can avoid it.

If I were to go to 11.00x20s, is there a speedometer gear that is easy enough to change? (Hi-jacking my own thread here).

Thanks in advance!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speedo hear exists. Bjorn has the number. The 5 ton fenders could be sectiond a bit to bring the width down to a decent look. Deuce quarter fenders undamaged are tough to find at best.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Joseph did scare me up a fender but finding a second was tougher, matter of fact, it didn't happen

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess I am really lucky to get the two I did. If you go to saturns web site and do a search for quarter fender it will show a pic of the ones they have. Also if you look at MACCUS' thread, his one photo has them sitting on the front set of tandems. :wink:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post maccus' thread?

Also, I've gone to the Saturn website and seen the quarter fenders. How do the y compare to the 5-ton fenders? Do you think they would work better?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search for M48A2. Just looked at Saturn, they are under miscellaneous and are 39$ for a pair.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my M275A2. I'm in the process of prepping it for an 800 mile round trip next week to Barstow to pick up my 2nd M128A2C. I'm adding a pyrometer and boost gqage. We've made some mods to the IP so watching the EGT's is essential. Last pictures are the new trailer.

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking now, for an M119 trailer. I think it would look good behind the deuce tractor. It has 9.00x20 tires on a single axle. It's not a heavy trailer, and it may be just about perfect. There is a trailer ot there that kind of drops down lower, just aft of the king-pin. I don't know the nomenclature of it.

I'm wondering too, if there is a similar single-axle flat bed trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's the M118 based on the same chassis. Also look at the M146. The one with a step deck is probably a variation of the M348 or M373.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,

You are a wealth of great knowledge. They're going to have to pickle your brain and put it in a jar on a shelf next to Einstein's when you're gone.

I've Googled the M118 and M146. Could you or anyone PM or e-mail me a few pics or line-drawings, or tell me where to browse trailer pics?

I'm on the hunt for a trailer to pull with the fifth-wheel.

Thanks!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff,

Perfect! Thanks! Exactly what I needed! (Well actually, probably the thing I didn't need to see!)

Kind of like setting a box of Twinkies out in front of a hungry man. (I know! A grown man shouldn't be eating anything called a Twinkie! But, they're good! Especially frozen!)

Now to locate a trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks