• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(Back to!) converting to a tractor!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you, or anyone, would like to complete this project, it's at a point where it will come together well.

I will make a cargo bed available with the "kit" if need be. I have access to one, but it's in Ohio.

Hey, I'm trying. besides, I don't really want to go "parts truck" on this one.

However...!

(As Gimpyrobb would say... "Red Rocket, Red rocket!!)

No sooner did I post the above information, than I got a call from my resto-man!!

The truck is coming into the shop at the end of next week!!!!

Red rocket! Red Rocket!!!!

Great God of All That Is Green!! RED ROCKET!!!!!!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes!

I spoke with Ron my resto-man. I have total confidence in his abilities.

It's going to be amazing to finally own a deuce tractor.

:jumpin:

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes! The guys at Clark Truck have hooked me up. I'm not saying they were over-priced, but the spacers alone were $250.00!!! That's before shipping!

That stung a little.

That was the only delay in the build project. As soon as they arrive in IN, we'll be back underway. All is well, now.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ouch! Well I hope that is all you needed to buy to finish up the project. I know you have been waiting for a while. Can't wait to see the pics of the finished product.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed!

I've learned a number of things along the way. I don't (think I) regret this decision to convert to a tractor. I know when it's all done I'll have what I want.

Sometimes I just think I was born to learn things the hard way. Hence, the reason you'll NEVER catch me in Las Vegas. If I has to bet or gamble, I would lose. Things just don't go my way sometimes. And it's never cheap when I learn my lessons.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great to know you are gettin R done. I know I had my deuce for years but always had tractor envy, now I have the M818 w/w tucked up under the M127 just waiting for me to retire and get R done. Any pictures from Resto man? I picked up the fifth wheel for my dolly convertor from a cool old truck junk yard and I don't want to make you feel bad telling you what I had to pay for it.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is with the absolute greatest disappointment that I have to say that this project has not materialized.

I will not post the reasons for this, but I will simply say that what I have in the form of a deuce tractor (project) will be parted out and/or scrapped.

I failed.

I failed to supervise, manage and maintain this operation.

I so doing, I lost my interest and momentum to follow through on this undertaking. The program lost its luster when I closed my eyes and waited for a, "dream" to simply, "come true." I was fanticizing. I made a mistake.

Anyway, the carcass is still in northeastern IN. I cannot drive it I don't believe. It is somewhat disassembled and maybe not driveable. I don't know. The frame ends were cut after the bed was removed in preparation for the installation of the steel decking and fifth wheel. I think that is where the project stopped about a year ago. I will probably have to go up there and see for myself what condition everything is in.

There is SO much invested in this and so many parts there, I cannot even remember everything. Air-steering kit, new tires, this, that, and the other. My God! I don't even want to calculate.

I'm trying to find transportation for it to Kipman's farm in south-central Ohio. That will be the part-out / scrap-out site.

If I can sell it from where it sets, I'm ready to do that. I'm going to lose a tremendous amount of money on this when I do the final tally, but I'm trying to accept that.

I am strongly considering another truck of some form. Most likely a 5-ton tractor. This time, I'll do a cheap and easy paint job and drive the SOB.

Thanks to everyone for their support and interest in this project.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

Hey, I will be up north this weekend. As much as I hate to hear this, I may be able to bring it back for ya. You still got my number? Sorry you are abandoning the project.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I will be up north this weekend. As much as I hate to hear this, I may be able to bring it back for ya. You still got my number? Sorry you are abandoning the project.
I got a call from the location in question. He told me that he will replace the cab components t make it, "weather-tight" and not just a pile-o-parts. I'm not sure that he will have this done by the weekend. I doubt it.

Chris, buddy. If there is any way we can get that rig down to Kip sometime in the not-so-distant future, I've got a case of Rotella-T, some tires and wheels, parts and goodies I can offer you.

Daylight is short and snow on the horizon. It can wait until a little later-on, if need be. But, I hope to start down the road to recovery and return to the hobby soon. I'm trying to remain calm in all of this.

Thanks!

gimpyrobb

It wouldn't surprise me if we could have it at Kips in under a month. Let me know when its ready, I can tow bar it back, or find a driver to help get it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I failed to supervise, manage and maintain this operation.
You are being way to hard on yourself! Remember this is just a truck. These projects can sit for years and then you can get back to them. Not like a living thing etc.

Deuce tractors are really no big deal to build up. The hard part is drilling the holes for the 5th wheel in the frame if you do not have a mag drill. I think you should just figure out where you are with the project and continue on to completion. If you need drawings to have the catwalk fabricated locally, I can send you some.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT,

Thanks. You have a point. A good point.

I'm going to try something. I really hate to give up on this. I love the truck. It has a lot of sentimental value that goes all the way back to when I picked it up in Vermont and drove it back to Ohio.

Maybe I just need to go visit with it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are being way to hard on yourself! Remember this is just a truck. These projects can sit for years and then you can get back to them. Not like a living thing etc.

Deuce tractors are really no big deal to build up. The hard part is drilling the holes for the 5th wheel in the frame if you do not have a mag drill. I think you should just figure out where you are with the project and continue on to completion. If you need drawings to have the catwalk fabricated locally, I can send you some.
Yeah, really, to me working on them is the hobby, the driving part is just a "treat".
My 5-ton tractor has only been driven a few miles in the 3 years that I have had it, but I do very much enjoy it. You do need to have it close to home, though, so that it's doesn't become somebody else's problem....that could be discouraging for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks