• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(Back to!) converting to a tractor!

DMgunn

Looking forward to some progress pics!

Hate to hi-jack this thread to death, BUT with all the great trailer minds present - does anyone know if there exists a smaller (tandem or tri-) version of the M747 trailer that would be suitable for hauling up to 10,000 lb or so loads? I love the looks of that monster, but it is just a bit of overkill......a pintle trailer of similar sexiness would be better yet.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bed removal/parts trade with Hkx3 went well! We did the work at MVR&R in Albion, IN in about three hours. Removing the smaller parts like mud guards and bumperettes seemed to be the most time consuming. NOTHING would have been possible without air tools and penetrating oil! Jim (Hkx3) brought all of my "5-ton" (tractor) parts up, and we parted. It was a rewarding day as everything went very smooth and within our scheduled time. Ron Leatherman of MVR&R and his mechanic, "Ira" deserve a great, "Thanks!"

Just waiting for Hkx3 "Jim" and his help-for-the-day, "Keith" to check in to let us know that they make it back to KY safely.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looking good guys! Glad everyone is getting what they wanted. Wish I could have helped, but the 725 has priority, sorry.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are my goodies that Jim brought up to IN. He worked hard getting everything removed and loaded in a short time.

(There's actually a lot more here than the pics reveal. Fifth-wheel, approach ramps, diamond-plate "decking," pogo-stick, etc.)

The headache rack was from Clark Trucks in WVA.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

Looks like that Headache rack made short work of that pallet. Does it have the winch it is supposed to house?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opted out on the winch. It more than doubled the price of the rack. I may put a toolbox in that space if I can come up with an idea for one that I like. Either that, or a cage of some type. There's a lot of space there. Ideal for cots, sleeping bags, or whatever.

gimpyrobb

I have a winch if you need it. No its not from that application, but I think it would be handy to have there, just my 2 cents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now the question to ask is this, what else does this feller have from a pipeline truck?

Hkx3

Hey! Someone stole (parts of) my truck and took pictures of them behind my other stolen truck!!! How else could my junk end up that far from home??

lol

I had a great time, and felt that everything went as smoothly as anyone could ask for!

We made it home without a single hitch, just a touch over 7 !!! Hours. :)

Still havent unloaded the bed, gonna do that in the morning B&E.

I would like to publicly thank Ron and Ira of MV Repair and Resto. Nice guys, nice facility, SUPER NICE Half-Track. That halftrack is boner material right there!

ANyway, Ill try to keep you guys in the loop as progress is made on the M52A2 Tractor becomes the Troop Transport.

Gotta run, gotta be at the big NRA show in Louisville in about an hour.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M52A2 turned cargo will be neat. JWC has an M51 turned cargo and the 12' bed on a 5 ton looks tough.

jasonjc

Just a side note on the springs. I just looked at my fire truck and it has the same spring pack as my other trucks.

Now I want to make a M48A2

Hkx3

Just a quick update:

Got the bed off the trailer, and its now swinging from the ceiling of my shop. That baby is heavy.

Tomorrow hopefully I can pick up some steel to start some custom bracketry, and maybe with a little luck/cooperation, this wont be a huge ordeal.

Thanks again OIFVET.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The title of this thread until today was: "Changing a cargo truck to a tractor"

The latest on my project:

(Enter the sound of crickets chirping here.)

I'm strongly considering a complete sell-out of this project as it stands.

My truck was a cargo, and is now a bed-less deuce with 5-ton tractor parts at the ready. The forward rear axle has an Ouverson lock-out. There are a number of extras with this truck, (2) new tires, extra wheels, a new-in-tank pump, new seat cushions, new windshields, new data-plates, a pipeline truck headache rack and other new and VG used "stuff" that I can't even remember until I inventory. I do not want to sell "pieces." One transaction, everything goes. There's some $$ tied up in this. Too much. I'm going to take a big hit on this one, but...

Anyway, the truck is in IN and I am in OH. You can review a few pics on the previous pages.

There just, "comes a time." :|

PM for details as it is all for sale.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks brothers!

I believe it is a result of "separation anxiety" from not having my truck, and "economic impact" from day-to-day expenses I'm experiencing lately.

I'm making a sacrifice. I'll have to lose some $$ here to gain a foot-hold.

Not sure what else to do right now.

slynn3

"This looks like an great opportunity to build a sweet truck. I'm kind of new to the hobby and don't have a truck yet. I'll PM you, but just wanted to say "thanks" for posting this. I would have never considered it until I saw this. Awesome!"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks