• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bcvxbcv

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cost of buing both trucks is some what close. But the cost in fuel is a different story. If you can handle feeding a 5 ton go for it, but if you drive a 2.5 ton reasonably you can get well over 10mpg.

Ugg013

Jim:

A CDL is a COMMERCIAL drivers license. That's what screw's with alot of people's minds. If your not using a rig commercially, ya don't need a CDL, period. As long as your state has a classification with a high enough weight, your cool. Even if you worked for the XYZ corp, and you drove one of their rigs from one warehouse to another (say as in shutteling parts) you don't need a CDL (that's also as long as the corp is not in the business of haulin freight). 26,000 lbs is what, 13 tons? I think your safe.

Later
Ugg 8)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
tha gvw is any ware from 36k to 47k for a 5t, as i said before, i beleave that the truck that your looking at has walking beam suspensoion (wrecker ) that being the case your gvw should be about 42k,
hope this helps

red devils dude

hey good news a M813(5ton cargo) weighs in at 20,335(from manual TM 9-2320-260-10) with bed and all that jazz, and on a another note
I got my truck from Dave at eastern surplus he's a great guy and he can help you out with some of the parts you might need.

FSBruva

The weight rewuirement for a CDL is based on how much it COULD weigh fully loaded. That's why my 23,350 lb deuce is perfect (empty plus 5 tons on-road) and below the 26 K limit. Ugg pointed out the issue that has been discussed before - some states require (foolishly) a CDL based on weight, where as other states require one based on purpose. Action versus intent, i guess.

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then there's FL with 4 different definitions of commercial vehicle. I guess enforcement pics the one that suites them best. To be quite honest, I've never ever been stopped in any of my MVs an any state. I was approached by a SC police officer while I was sleeping on the seat of the tractor. A quick explanation and he was gone. As some of you know, I'm no stranger to putting miles on the MVs and I've been seen towing a few odd setups. Hope I haven't cursed myself!

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you asked for the Gross Vehicle Weight thats GVW the total of the empty truck and its legel load. when rdd stated 23k, thats the empty weight, the gross weght would be 23k+10k for the load, or 33k, in your case if your truck has a wrecker walking beam then its gvw would be that of a wrecker which is about 42k accordind to tm -----260-10,
also some states say a cdl is needed if theres air for the brakes, i tryed to get a anaswer to this question when i was i ca. thay could not give me one because theres nothing about assested brakes but on the other air is involeved, i said the hell with it and didnt worry about it when driving the m52 , my 819 (tractor wrecker)weighs 35065 , i have historic plates on it, in ca. i was never stoped or ever asked if ihad a cdl i drove the m52 for 5 years, same here in ga.with the 819

JasonS

Mangus,
The external sprag linkage only engages the reverse sprag. The transfer case is, by default, in forward drive. When the tranny is moved into reverse, the linkage moves the reverse sprag into gear. When the tranny is moved out of reverse, this force is removed and a spring in the TRANSFER case engages the forward drive sprag. Shifting the transfer case out of reverse is all that is required.

yeager1

Wallew,
FYI- The Colorado vehicle registration office does things a little different (at least in my county), you register your trucks based on a "stated GVWR". This means that you could walk in and claim a GVWR of 26,000 lbs for your 5 ton truck and not have to get a CDL to drive it. The downside is with a 21,000 lbs truck, you can legally only now hold 5,000 lbs to be at your limit. Also, in Colorado you MUST have a CDL for all air brakes, but this only includes full air systems, not air assisted systems like the dueces and older 5 tons have.

red devils dude

ok let start with get a 800 series 5 ton I think it will be cheper, two you chould cut the bed I would think with out to much trouble?
by the I've had my eye on truck #227 it looks clean and if dave say's it's a good runner I'dd go for it but thing to think about are
do you need a winch? can you shorten the bed? do you really need need a long wheel base it will a pain in any kind of traffic.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
hi i brought my 819 from dave newman, great guy, we to had a lot of phone calls back and forth, he was a lot of help, never tried to hid anything, i knew exactly what i was buying and when i went to phila to look at it and pay for it, it was better then i thiught it would be, the next time you talk to him tell him ron with the 819 says hi

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 250(855) is not a multi. i have been told by some cummins wrench turners that to tubo , the cam needs to be changed, fuel pump and timing and a few other things, seems like a lot of expense and hassle for 40hp(thats what a tuboed 855 is a 290), i will in time replace the 5 speed with a 10 speed od

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks