• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best gear oil for deuce

m35kimber

Hey everyone, just getting ready to change all the fluids in my M35A2. I've been told the gear oil needs to be a 80/90 that's compatible with yellow metal. So far i'm having some trouble finding such a gear oil. I plan on changing the fluids in the transmission, T-case and all 3 axles. Any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be found in our own library...: http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/LO9-2320-209-12-1.pdf, on page 3: GO - Lubricating Oil, Gear Multipurpose (MIL-L-2105)
This is equivalent to the API/ GL-4 specs and should still be around, although today most car and truck manufacturers are specifying GL-5 or even synthetics.

Sta-Lube 85W-90 GEAR OIL, API GL-4 is just one example and eventually available through NAPA: http://m.napaonline.com/tablet//parts/PartDetails.aspx?Id=SLRSL24239_0006410049

G.

Heath_h49008

I was under the impression that was fine for the axles, but the trans was limited to GL1 for "yellow metal" concerns.

Edit: GL1 works and is low cost.

MT-1 is the spec to look for to be certain of "yellow metal" compatibility.

My bad.

Last edited:

Katahdin

I think it's important to note the NAPA GL-1 is more viscous (thicker) then the Tractor Supply GL-1 (Ford Tractor Transmission fluid). The difference is about the same as 50w vs 40w. Read the labels and look at the oil viscosity charts and you'll see.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's important to note the NAPA GL-1 is more viscous (thicker) then the Tractor Supply GL-1 (Ford Tractor Transmission fluid). The difference is about the same as 50w vs 40w. Read the labels and look at the oil viscosity charts and you'll see.
Good point, your area of the country is much more susceptible to colder temps than where I am...the heavier viscosity is definitely a requirement where I live, but maybe not such a good thing where you are, especially in the winter!

m35kimber

So my best/safest option is going with napa GL-1 80-90. This will be acceptable for use in the trans, t-case and all differentials as well?

welldigger

So my best/safest option is going with napa GL-1 80-90. This will be acceptable for use in the trans, t-case and all differentials as well?
Acceptable yes....optimal.....no. Gl-5 is much better for the axles since it has the high pressure additives the rockwells need. The axles do not have yellow metals at risk of being corroded. Your transmission and transfer case however do have synchros that can corrode. Gl-1 or non detergent strait weight engine oil are better suited for the tranny and transfer case.

m35kimber

Ok, I'll be ordering the GL-1 for the trans and t-case. What would you recommend for the axles then? 75w90? 140?
Also any ideas on what oil/fluid the front winch would use?

welldigger

75w90 is fine for the axles. I am unsure of what to put in the winch. I have heard people mention using corn head grease in the winch but that was in circumstances where their winch was leaking.

Lloyd B

For GL-1 head over to tractor supply 17.00 for 2 gallon jug, I am still concerned about using the newer lubes in the older transmissions and transfer cases, as they were designed for the old mineral oils. Any help or black and white research on the subject would be greatly appreciated

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks