• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best gear oil for deuce

JimmyThompson

Ah'. Forgive me, I literally just bought my truck and want to change the fluids and I def' want to but the proper stuff in it.

I've never heard of "STRAIGHT 40w" before, excuse my ignorance. How is that different than 15w-40?

welldigger

Yes gl-5 for the axles and 40wt non detergent motor oil for the transmission and transfer case. If you have a tractor supply near by get the red labeled traveler 40wt oil. Its the non detergent variety. Then go grab a bucket of the traveler 75-90wt (I believe that's the weight) gear oil. That will cover everything but the engine.

plym49

'Straight' menas that it is not multi-viscosity. It is just 40 wt, all the time. Multi-viscosity oils change viscosity based on temperature.

15W-40 is not the same as 40 weight oil. You want 40 weight oil. Straight 40W.

JimmyThompson

Ok, so:

Motor Oil: 15w-40 (Non-Detergent??)
Transmission & Transfer Case: 40w Oil (Yellow Metal Safe??)
Differentials: GL-5 ??w-90

I've already purchased the 80w-90 from Napa and I'll try to return the fluid tomorrow. However, if they only allow an exchange, I reckon I'll ask them to find, via the specs above, their comparable fluids. Worse case (no return/exchange) the stuff I got will work correct?!!?

Thank you all for your patience. For that it's worth, I have read tons of pages on this forum regarding fluid recommendations and all the numbers and stuff kind of run together at the moment.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL-1, as you posted in #35, is what the military used for the trans and t case and axles

Be sure you are using a diesel rated engine oil (like Rotella).

Simplify, you only need 2 oils.

JimmyThompson

Yes gl-5 for the axles and 40wt non detergent motor oil for the transmission and transfer case. If you have a tractor supply near by get the red labeled traveler 40wt oil. Its the non detergent variety. Then go grab a bucket of the traveler 75-90wt (I believe that's the weight) gear oil. That will cover everything but the engine.
The "Red Label" looks as though its 30w not 40w per their website. The "Blue Label" appears to be 40w and it doens't specifically list the oil as "non-detergent" as the red labelled 30w did. Clarification needed please.

welldigger

The "Red Label" looks as though its 30w not 40w per their website. The "Blue Label" appears to be 40w and it doens't specifically list the oil as "non-detergent" as the red labelled 30w did. Clarification needed please.
Just go to tractor supply and read the label. The blue bottle is standard motor oil. Red label is non-detergent. The 40wt is usually only sold in 2 gallon jugs not quarts.

JasonS

The recommended engine oils for the transfer case have an API rating of CD, CE, SF, or SG. These are detergent oils.

Last edited:

emr

No filter > non detergent, filter >detergent. Like doghead said, 2 oils :) engine and drive line. With that said, You will never have a problem running straight 30 in your engine, ever. 15/40 better , ok.... 80/90 drive train. :) some more 2 cents's.Unless you live in extreme cold, then 40 drive train.....:)

plym49

Not really. You originally asked what was best. Some pretty good advice was given.

OTOH, these are old, primitive trucks. The lube that was current when they were new works fine, and anything newer (i.e., 'better') works, too.

So, pick your poison and go to town. It does not really matter.

welldigger

Not really. You originally asked what was best. Some pretty good advice was given.

OTOH, these are old, primitive trucks. The lube that was current when they were new works fine, and anything newer (i.e., 'better') works, too.

So, pick your poison and go to town. It does not really matter.
Yup I'm done with this thread. If you can't read this one or the 15+ other threads and make a decision then I don't know what else to tell you.

RodUSMC1962

We used straight 90 w oil in everything but the engine when I was in the corps, straight 30 w in the engine. That is what I use in my 1952 deuce, no problem, still runs great,61 years old. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks