• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best gear oil for deuce

welldigger

For GL-1 head over to tractor supply 17.00 for 2 gallon jug, I am still concerned about using the newer lubes in the older transmissions and transfer cases, as they were designed for the old mineral oils. Any help or black and white research on the subject would be greatly appreciated
Gl-1 is NOT the best lube for the tranny and transfer case. It is a very primitive lubricant which is why it is so hard to find. Almost nothing uses it anymore. Spicer specified 30wt non detergent motor oil. 30, 40, 50wt are all acceptable depending on your average ambient temperature. Gl-5 gear lube should be put in the axles.

Lloyd B

I guess what I am comparing it to was when we were forced away from leaded fuel to unleaded and the affect it had on our engines due to the loss of the lubricating and other properties of the additive. I know it wreaked havoc on our small engines when I was in the Corps, very similar to the damage from this corn liquor they're pouring down our tanks now. I guess I just want to know what is the absolute best lubricant for the transmission and transfer case, what about synthetics? Thanks again for the reply. p.s. I absolutely love the comment about down shifting.......I concur! I like to tell all of the green weinies out there that "hey I'm green...its just happens to be olive drab"

welldigger

Synthetics I really don't suggest. They are a much thinner and slicker lubricant. I know it sounds strange for an oil to be too slick but the syncros don't seem to like it. Thanks on the compliment of the quote but I can't really claim it. I heard Jeramy Clarkston from the British version of top gear say it.

bigginstactical

Synthetics I really don't suggest. They are a much thinner and slicker lubricant. I know it sounds strange for an oil to be too slick but the syncros don't seem to like it. Thanks on the compliment of the quote but I can't really claim it. I heard Jeramy Clarkston from the British version of top gear say it.
I have not changed all my fluids yet but i do agree with this statement. We changed my fathers rear diff to synthetic and added anti slip and it was horrible.... went to normal oil and worked great. basically it was too slick for his amount of torque. I can definitely see where this could come into play with other parts of the vehicle as you have stated.

welldigger

Napa auto parts - GL1, that's what I did after researching. You'll get ALOT of this and that info. Stick to the T.Ms.
Gl-1 is only suggested because of the fear that the sulfur additives in some gear oils will corrode the bronze synchro's in the transmission and transfer case. In all reality gl-1 is a primitive and inferior gear oil. Motor oil is a common lubricant in manual transmissions.

Kloakndagr

As I said earlier, you will get ALOT of this and that info. Use what you want. My deuce is 43 years old, not a show truck, GL-1 was what the TM stated, worked forty years ago. Just fine for me.

Coal Cracker

I ate crow after posting an article about what I thought was a better trans lube, after eating such crow and taking my lumps, there are many people here including myself and the TM's suggesting to use GL-1 in the trans and transfer case and any GL-5 80/90 in the rears.

Lloyd B

I thought I read somewhere that GL-5 is Mil-L- 2105-D or something like that, man this stuff is confusing, I spoke with someone at Boyce Equipment and I thought he said to use 80/90, when I asked him if it was GL-1 or GL-5 he just kept saying we have been using 80/90 for 50 years?????????????? but then again sometimes I just don't hear what people say. Again I would like to thank everyone for the input.

Hainebd

I used Ford tractor oil from Tractor Supply and am not happy. Truck is very hard to get in gear moving or sitting. Sinkcros go in but not gear. Will be changing to motor oil next in trans. Oil did not need changing but I installed PTO so I put new oil in. GL1 but what weight? TS oil must be to thin for trans. Trans works great cold only tough when hot.

welldigger

Go to tractor supply and get the big 2 gallon jug of 40wt non detergent motor oil. Traveler will be the brand. Also I'll say this again, gl-1 is NOT suggested in the TM. Gl-5 is. If you really are fearful if the syncros corroding use motor oil. I don't suggest synthetics either. They are thinner and you probably wouldn't be happy with that either.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are asking if that is the same as what Welldigger is suggesting, no that is not it. This is a gear oil and he suggested you use 40 weight motor oil (non-detergent).

welldigger

It would work but not the best suited for the job. Gl-5 is much better suited for the axles. The current lube order in the TM's states GL-5 for everything. The previous owner of my truck had gl-5 140wt in the tranny and it didn't shift worth a crap. Switched to motor oil and it drops into gear much better. My transmission never ground any gears really. It just seemed like the synchros were having trouble meshing the gears together. Now as long as I don't miss a gear when shifting it drops right into gear.

JimmyThompson

Just so we are clear... I should try and return the 80w-90 gear-oil to Napa and get non-detergent 15w-40 motor-oil for my differentials which will also run in the motor?

Will 15w-40 work anywhere else? I'd love to consolidate the required oils so I wouldn't need so many!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks