• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place to buy dot 5

crazywelder72

I just got off the phone with my Bro-in-law, (a truck mech) he can get it for me at his price of $62 a gallon. It's a good price when you consider i don't have to pay another $18 for shipping.

So that's where I'm getting mine.

Now about installing it. I have the TM's but just haven't gone thru it 100%. does the axle shaft have to come out to remove the drum?

Kohburn

as far as i can tell there would be no way to remove it without removing the whole hub, so yes.

crazywelder72

Dot 3 is a LOT cheaper........
I know i'm the new guy around here but everybody and their mother is saying DOT 5 ONLY.

I have a mechanic friend that says the only difference is for high heat and for the amount that i will use it i could use dot 3. however you never now if it will damage anything and one thing i am not is a chemist.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT 3 and DOT 5 don't play well together, so you CAN NOT mix them. If you want to use DOT 3 you are more than welcome, but keep this in mind.

DOT 5 and Silicone fluid so it will not draw moisture and has higher heat capabilities. DOT 3 is an oil based fluid and will draw moisture, causing rust in the wheel cylinders and such.

If you wanna use DOT 3 you can but you ABSOLUTELY MUST cleanse the entire brake system first, and then I would recommend a flush with denatured alcohol to get the system entirely clean. After that, fill and flush thoroughly with DOT 3 to get the alcohol all out.

Sounds like a lot of work to me....I'll use the DOT 5 thanks. It's a better fluid anyway I think.

mikey

i did the math (even the new math) and at that price its over $130.00 a gallon. a pint is 16 fl oz and a US gallon is 128 fl oz. on ebay two weeks ago it was running about $75.00 a gallon (either a one gallon jug or 4 quarts).
You are correct! I'm sorry, when I was buying it in 2011 the 32oz was $13.89. I should have looked closer at the size before posting. The 32oz is not currently available.

Link to 32oz:

Amazon.com: North American NA40 DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid - 32 fl. oz.: Automotive

Mikey

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks