• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best place to buy dot 5

crazywelder72

I just got off the phone with my Bro-in-law, (a truck mech) he can get it for me at his price of $62 a gallon. It's a good price when you consider i don't have to pay another $18 for shipping.

So that's where I'm getting mine.

Now about installing it. I have the TM's but just haven't gone thru it 100%. does the axle shaft have to come out to remove the drum?

Kohburn

as far as i can tell there would be no way to remove it without removing the whole hub, so yes.

crazywelder72

Dot 3 is a LOT cheaper........
I know i'm the new guy around here but everybody and their mother is saying DOT 5 ONLY.

I have a mechanic friend that says the only difference is for high heat and for the amount that i will use it i could use dot 3. however you never now if it will damage anything and one thing i am not is a chemist.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOT 3 and DOT 5 don't play well together, so you CAN NOT mix them. If you want to use DOT 3 you are more than welcome, but keep this in mind.

DOT 5 and Silicone fluid so it will not draw moisture and has higher heat capabilities. DOT 3 is an oil based fluid and will draw moisture, causing rust in the wheel cylinders and such.

If you wanna use DOT 3 you can but you ABSOLUTELY MUST cleanse the entire brake system first, and then I would recommend a flush with denatured alcohol to get the system entirely clean. After that, fill and flush thoroughly with DOT 3 to get the alcohol all out.

Sounds like a lot of work to me....I'll use the DOT 5 thanks. It's a better fluid anyway I think.

mikey

i did the math (even the new math) and at that price its over $130.00 a gallon. a pint is 16 fl oz and a US gallon is 128 fl oz. on ebay two weeks ago it was running about $75.00 a gallon (either a one gallon jug or 4 quarts).
You are correct! I'm sorry, when I was buying it in 2011 the 32oz was $13.89. I should have looked closer at the size before posting. The 32oz is not currently available.

Link to 32oz:

Amazon.com: North American NA40 DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid - 32 fl. oz.: Automotive

Mikey

Attachments