• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Best way to remove rust from 24 bolts wheel?

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I left the spare tire outside for a few weeks when it happened to rain…and now several bolts have what appears to be some surface rust:

B3BA2720-E188-4AF4-AEDC-8BBBFF1B1D3C.jpeg

What would be the best way to remove the rust without affecting the threads? Brass brush wheel? (with actual brass wire, not just brass covered steel?).

And what should I apply to prevent it from rusting again? (none of the active wheel bolts on the truck have developed any rust, so I presume it’s because this one was static, which I am thinking it would also be static when mounted on the tire carrier and it may rust again?).

Thank you!

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stud cleaner looks like a great product. I touch-up any discoloring studs with a silver wheel touch up pen and have been doing that for years. I cut up some rubber that just fits over the lug nuts and painted the wheels with some spray can Rustoleum matt black. Wheels always look great.

Mark

20210501_185238.jpg[ATT

20210501_184458.jpg

20210502_143551.jpg

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That stud cleaner looks like a great product. I touch-up any discoloring studs with a silver wheel touch up pen and have been doing that for years. I cut up some rubber that just fits over the lug nuts and painted the wheels with some spray can Rustoleum matt black. Wheels always look great.

Mark

View attachment 861548[ATT

View attachment 861546

View attachment 861547
Your wheels and the whole truck it's like a show piece, a beauty!

I repainted the wheels with RAPCO flat black when I replaced the tires and will redo it as this tire vibrates at higher speeds and will have to re-build it again (that's why I made it the spare tire) and will checkout the Rustoleum matte black you mentioned, which looks a little glossier.

Last edited:

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stainless is not as strong as hardened steel. Just clean them and paint them besides changing them out is a PITA.

Mark

blutow

Does anyone know if these bolts come in stainless steel?
I don't think stainless would be a good material given the torque requirements and the lock nuts used. I had to replace a few studs with galling issues when recently assembling my 24 bolt rims, I can't imaging how bad the galling would have been with stainless studs.

The stock studs are lightly galvanized, I assume you are getting a little rust in places where the zinc has worn through and maybe something corrosize got on them (cleaning agent?). I'd replace any rusted ones if they bother you, it's really easy to knock them out and pull a new one through. They run about $2 each new and I'm sure you could get used ones for next to nothing (I've got 48 extra in my take-off 12 bolt wheels). You could knock off the rust with a wire wheel, but that's just going to take more zinc off and the rust will return. I'm not sure I'd use that stud cleaner shown above for the same reason. Some anti-seize paste would possibly protect them and prevent future rust, but it can be messy if it gets on the flat black and some say it's a bad idea on wheel studs.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There are about 8 different size brush dies you can get down to a 5/16 size...

They taken off everything. Anytime a wheel is changed they should be cleaned anyway.

You can just get some Teflon to brush on. Or the clear spray

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up using some Rustoleum Rust Disolver, it supposed to be safe on metal (not acid based) and ads some protection after removing the rust (the surface looks like it has a slightly darker than the original bolt color oxide layer, which could be some formed protective coat, but most likely it’s just marketing bs, we’ll see how they hold up).
AE1E139C-09D9-4469-8D4D-03B3E7E112D6.jpeg

I picked this one because it is a stickier jelly and it was in stock (the reviews are ok too).
I only put it on the bolts, didn't do the nuts to not get too close to the wheel paint, and left it on for about 40minutes, but I could tell it started to work much sooner as I was still applying it.

E95CE1AB-337B-4B74-855C-3C91EC2FEA07.jpeg

Next step is to re-build it with less runout, plus a few that are on the truck…which also means lots of cold ones in the process lol

EDIT: I spoke too soon, there is a fine print (half the other fonts size and dark gray on gray background) on their web site saying - note: Jelly formula does not contain the 12 month rust inhibiting properties
Thank you very much Rustoleum, now I will have to redo it with the spray gel formula, but applied with a brush so it doesn't get sprayed allover the tire.

Last edited:

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know some people like the shiny look on the studs, but I don't, so after I do mine they get a coat of flat black paint. No rusting issues.
Actually the other studs on the truck were painted black to match the wheels, I like the overall look, but now are chipped because I had to redo the tires a few times and didn't repaint it yet. I didn't care about the silver look either when they look beat up, dirty, rusty, etc, but that was until I saw Mark's, with that high definition look..it pushed my OCD button lol...like I don't already have enough things on my plate...not sure why, but that clean raw steel does something for me, like my milling machine steel table...I somehow connect with it...lol...yeah I know, another nut case :)

Last edited:

blutow

but that clean raw steel does something for me,
+1 on this, I really dig the look of the all the silver studs/nuts against the matte black. I guess that's why so many wheel companies have copied the theme with excessive fake bolts on all their wheels.

I promised myself I was going to leave the truck rough around the edges and keep it in "gently used" condition just as it came from the military. I couldn't help myself on the wheels, my OCD took over because a couple of the rims I bought had some surface rust, so needed some attention. Once I got started, they got the full treatment, including individually cleaning the paint off all 120 nuts.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol sorry to bring your OCD to a boil LOL

I really like the look of the silver studs and people alway comment how hard it must be to have to pull off all those "Lug nuts' to change a tire. The Matt/Satin Rustoleum paint really holds up compared flat paints. Try the silver paint wheel touch up paint as it's quick and holds up well.

Mark

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on this, I really dig the look of the all the silver studs/nuts against the matte black. I guess that's why so many wheel companies have copied the theme with excessive fake bolts on all their wheels.

I promised myself I was going to leave the truck rough around the edges and keep it in "gently used" condition just as it came from the military. I couldn't help myself on the wheels, my OCD took over because a couple of the rims I bought had some surface rust, so needed some attention. Once I got started, they got the full treatment, including individually cleaning the paint off all 120 nuts.

Just for giggles, look inside your frame rails when you get a chance.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol sorry to bring your OCD to a boil LOL

I really like the look of the silver studs and people alway comment how hard it must be to have to pull off all those "Lug nuts' to change a tire. The Matt/Satin Rustoleum paint really holds up compared flat paints. Try the silver paint wheel touch up paint as it's quick and holds up well.

Mark
What silver wheel touch up paint are you using? Some have more metallic flakes than others.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hahaha, it's good to hear that I am not the only one :)

tgejesse

Is it best practice to paint the bolts after replacing? I just put all new hardware and now I’m worried it’ll rust

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it best practice to paint the bolts after replacing? I just put all new hardware and now I’m worried it’ll rust
Painting everything will do a lot to protect it, and won't cause any harm unless you somehow manage to really screw up.

I know of no reason why you shouldn't paint them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks