• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFR Metals, Salina Kansas, a Goodie Hole

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was doing a search today under salvage yards / junk yards I realized there was not a thread for BFR Metals 1504 State St., Salina, Ks. Phone(785) 493-8575
It is just about 3 miles south of I-70 for those of you traveling across this great country of ours. I did find a mention in Conversations .
As some of you know Glen 91W350 after retiring from a career in public service now pretty much works there full time and has assisted many of us in getting hard to find parts and nick nacks for our MV's at more than fair prices. Glen is a super nice guy and he would never bring it up, but several folks on here have had him pull pallets worth of parts and never finished the deal. Other than a a pick and pull it is hard to find an old school yard that will turn you loose with your tool bag and let you roam. So with scrap prices high if you have started deal with him, please finish it. I would hate to see a "goodie Hole" get closed to us. MY 2cents

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen is truly a great guy and will go way out of his way to help anybody who needs it, if you say your going to do something with Glen please DO IT, HE is one of US so dont abuse it!
KK

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ok I am an "OD junkyard junkie" this is the 3rd week in a row I have driven the 3+ hours to go out there and because I did not bring a big enough truck and trailer will go again next week to get another fix! The only down side is since they have been scrapping so much the ground is like a plowed field and my old body was beaten like a red headed step child rolling the G177's to my trailer. Battery on camera was dead so no yard pictures only my load when I got home. It was a frenzy out there as there is a rumor that scrap is going down so there was a constant parade of loads coming in and I don't think Glen even got lunch. Only got to spend 2 min's visiting with Glen as the line of scrappers kept growing. Saw about 12 of the M900 series trucks and at least 14 M101a2 trailer.

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ok I went 2 weeks without a fix. This Morning KCclay made it to my house at 0630 for the 3 hour dive out to 91W350 yard. Aswayze had left KC earlier in his M890 to help Stagg repair a leaking (gushing) fuel on his duce at Ft Riley. We got out there at 930 they showed up an hour later with one of Stagg's Army buddies. Due to snow and rain in the last week the yard was a quagmire but with all of us working made the day go by faster. When we first got to the yard there was a stack of G177 on the ground, Bummer was they had been pulled by a guy the day before and he was comming out to get them later. I got 5 more G177 to finish my 811 and 2 spares of 101A2 trailer, Aswayze got 7 g177 to single his duce, KCclay got a convoy light with mount and fiber glass front and back for a 101. Stagg and his buddy mainly just busted Asssss helping us old farts. Nice thing was Aswayze 890 hauled most the booty to the road. Glen as always was stuck in the office but when it came to settle up everyone got a deal. I tried to talk Glen out of the XL's and some mint 900X20 tires but he said they were already sold, Rats!
You can't beat the prices but bring your tools and work clothes! Pics of part of the haul, my little trailer was overloaded again.

Attachments

91W350

I had some fine looking green iron in the neighborhood and no time to go visit. One of these trips I am going to get to spend some time with my Grave Robbers.... I really wanted to give that Dodge and Deuce a good look over, just no time....

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen, do you have any of the new style radials from the 5 lug M101's? Just curious (need 5)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys ALL SUCK! I work 4rs a day. I could help get parts from noon till it was dark, but NOOOO, this has to be out in Ks. Heck, I would be happy just drooling over everything out there.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Gunwriter you need to take some pictures when you are out there every time I go I take a bunch, get home and only 2 come out. I have never made it out of the South lot too many parts to pull. I did luck out and got a steel ladder and another set of shoes for my other M146 trailer.
I always plan on going to the historic COZY INN The Cozy Inn for a sack of pain but end up pulling parts till late.

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys ALL SUCK! I work 4rs a day. I could help get parts from noon till it was dark, but NOOOO, this has to be out in Ks. Heck, I would be happy just drooling over everything out there.

The boss is out of town you could go out there...........

Yes, I need to bring my Nikon up and shoot some photography. I have kicked myself twice about it.

I went up again Saturday and pulled tires for Glen. I didn't get as many pulled off for him as I'd like, but I left a stack of 14........maybe that will help a bit.

I am from away, so am still finding interesting places in Kansas. So I appreciate the
tip on the Burger joint. I will be stopping in there next Saturday for sure!

Aswayze

I actually had an entire post written up for this but it apparently timed out and got lost...

Can't write it again, don't have the time for it now so I'll just point over towards a similar post on the subject from the East Wind site here:

Tire Run!

indy4x4fab

Banned
If I can't find any one to back haul my tires from glens yard I'll be making a trip out that way to get them and would be willing to pickup some extra parts for other members along the way of my route, but this is only if I can't find a back haul for the tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks