• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFR's Cranetruck

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Has managed its way to my house today. I picked it up from Papabear this afternoon. I have a few mods in mind for it, but mostly just repairs/improvements. First thing is getting that compressor governor replaced! (It clicks on/off a LOT) Made the trip home pretty uneventful. A little sluggish though. But I stopped near home and added another 10-11 gallons of diesel. :shock: I think I gained 20hp from that! But it only sucked down about 7-8 gallons to travel 80 miles. So that's pretty decent mileage.

Anyhow, here's some crappy dark pics.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice tires. 8)

BFR put a lot of work into that truck. Converted it to winch, converted it to airshift, flipped the hubs, etc. It's a great truck and will serve you really well. I have a lot of cool pictures of it and I think I have some video of it in action.

IMG_1045.jpgIMG_1048.jpgIMG_1053.jpgIMG_1074.jpgIMG_1083.jpgIMG_1088.jpg102_0301.jpg102_0307.jpg102_0337.jpgIMG_0460.jpgIMG_0463.jpgIMG_2250.jpgIMG_2256.jpgDSC_0189.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see the bed off my old pipeline truck is still giving. Funny, most of Clinto's action pics is lifting my junk.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Has managed its way to my house today. I picked it up from Papabear this afternoon. I have a few mods in mind for it, but mostly just repairs/improvements. First thing is getting that compressor governor replaced! (It clicks on/off a LOT) Made the trip home pretty uneventful. A little sluggish though. But I stopped near home and added another 10-11 gallons of diesel. :shock: I think I gained 20hp from that! But it only sucked down about 7-8 gallons to travel 80 miles. So that's pretty decent mileage. Anyhow, here's some crappy dark pics.

She probably was running better by the time you got home because she's just been sitting for years with the occasional start up and of course the whole 5 miles or so she was driven to/from Veterans Day Parades etc.

Sandcobra, Tony, BB and I were just finishing lunch yesterday and I said we needed to go charge the batteries and check out the "crane thingy" so patracy wouldn't have to when he got here. It hadn't been started in months.

Sandcobra went to the truck while I was fighting off a BB attack and the next thing I hear is VAROOOOM!!! The old girl cranked right up on her own...no jump start or anything!![thumbzup]

I think she'll make you a good truck...and the rest of my stuff will make someone else good trucks to.:patracy:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No, it was a distinct difference on power as soon as I left the pump. Gained some RPM as well. (~2100 is what I ran at heading home, now runs to 2400) Probably just old fuel though. Filled up about 80 miles into the trip home and the fuel level was at the bottom of the strainer. (Vs the bars from when I left out) Also noticed EGTs dropped 50-100F. I even passed a car. :shock:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a slowpoke doing 40 in a 55. I had momentum though and carried on around them LOL.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Video or it didn't happen. You know the rules.

:)
I missed a lot of cool stuff yesterday. When we headed back out on I-185 a B-17 flew overhead. I was trying to merge with traffic though so I couldn't get the phone out in time. :(

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that crane-truck seems to be making her rounds amongst GA steelsoldiers. Can I have a turn? :)

Great looking truck, and the type looks to be incredibly useful. I'd have to lift things just for fun.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
One excellent feature the truck has is the side outriggers. We had a blowout on the passenger side front drive axle and didn't even need a jack, just lowered the outrigger and raised up the side of the truck. Also used the crane to unload the spare from the deck and stow the bad one.:beer:

Jeepsinker

Ok, I hope this isn't insensitive, but I honestly don't know. What happened to Bfr? Did he kick the bucket, or is he still around and just decided to sell the truck?

Id really like to have either this truck or an M108 someday.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR simply moved on in life.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here's a little funny story about patracy's recovery:

We jad finished checking out all the important stuff like brakes, fluids, lights etc., and decided to check out the crane operation...but wait...I didn't have a clue how to run the crane as Troy had always done that.:roll: Also, the passenger side outrigger was about halfway down...could have been driven with no problem but hey...why not just raise it??

Then I remembered from reading the first page of the operation packet Joel left me with the truck and we got the pump to engage but no joy on the crane movement.

We tried all the controls, even tried idling the engine up...still nothing, then I remembered we had not used the crane in well over a year or more and that there was a leak in the cylinder.

While patracy was looking around the cab for another magic switch I tapped on the hydro tank and it didn't sound right....as in it sounded empty to me.

We all fanned out and searched the shop to see where Troy hides the hydro oil and found several new 5 gal cans...one had about 3-4 gallons in it and patracy added that to the tank.

Anyhoo...that got the baby rolling but the outrigger still wouldn't retract! Seems there is a rod (control) that goes from one side of the bed to the other with a handle on each end....OK...so what does that do? We are NOT gonna consult the directions again!!
Well...one flip of that control rod and the outrigger worked just fine!:grin:

Still haven't found the several data plates that go with the crane though. I KNOW I have them...somewhere!:papabear:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Shhh about the data plate! I'll get in trouble for using it without one!

(I did move it around and fold it up yesterday)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I'm kinda thinking out loud here. I want this to be a "work truck" so to speak. I'd like to add some additional air tanks onto it along with a roll up hose. That could be done easily I think. The other things I'd like to have would be a welder and cutting torch outfit. I think I could pack all of that on the passenger side opposite of where the hyd resv. is on the drivers side. I believe I'll find a spare tire mount setup and reinstall it on a bracket near the stock location. I'd also like to have a welder on it as well. I could easily put one on the bed behind the crane, but it's already a small bed to start with. So I've been looking at the welder/alternator setups. I had one on my VW diesel powered Samurai and it was fun. Could even run 110v drills/grinders/exc. The truck has the old generator setup on it so perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/specs/ppwspecs.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks