• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BFR's Cranetruck

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that what they use in Florida to put up on stands or blocks in lieu of an old Chevy Camaro in the front yard?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes! Well, not that many are M756A2s but there are plenty of deuces sitting on chunks of coral so that the axles could be scabbed onto swamp buggies.

Garrett, look at post 16, pic 1. Both of your desires are in that pic. Bjorn's original Hiab Cranetruck and you can see the boom of my once owned M108. Bjorn came to visit and helped out quite a bit. We put the LDT in the M108, de-bedded the M756A2 and Bjorn took the bed up to Joel for his cranetruck.

Last edited:

red

So I'm kinda thinking out loud here. I want this to be a "work truck" so to speak. I'd like to add some additional air tanks onto it along with a roll up hose. That could be done easily I think. The other things I'd like to have would be a welder and cutting torch outfit. I think I could pack all of that on the passenger side opposite of where the hyd resv. is on the drivers side. I believe I'll find a spare tire mount setup and reinstall it on a bracket near the stock location. I'd also like to have a welder on it as well. I could easily put one on the bed behind the crane, but it's already a small bed to start with. So I've been looking at the welder/alternator setups. I had one on my VW diesel powered Samurai and it was fun. Could even run 110v drills/grinders/exc. The truck has the old generator setup on it so perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/specs/ppwspecs.html
For a ark welder you can run it directly off of a 12v alternator, don't have to buy one. Just wire in a battery disconnect to prevent overcharge.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I'm kinda thinking out loud here. I want this to be a "work truck" so to speak. I'd like to add some additional air tanks onto it along with a roll up hose. That could be done easily I think. The other things I'd like to have would be a welder and cutting torch outfit. I think I could pack all of that on the passenger side opposite of where the hyd resv. is on the drivers side. I believe I'll find a spare tire mount setup and reinstall it on a bracket near the stock location. I'd also like to have a welder on it as well. I could easily put one on the bed behind the crane, but it's already a small bed to start with. So I've been looking at the welder/alternator setups. I had one on my VW diesel powered Samurai and it was fun. Could even run 110v drills/grinders/exc. The truck has the old generator setup on it so perhaps I can kill two birds with one stone.

I'm thinking you'd be better off putting all that stuff on a(or better yet in a lockable) trailer. Then you could pull it with you when needed and left behind when not.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah it's starting to appear that's the more feasible option. I have a M105 that I started to hack up (the SEMTT bed thingy) that I could put back together relatively easy. Maybe I should just make a welding/generator trailer out of it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a Dodge Contact box on an M105 would fit the bill. Leave the bed space for stuff.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know someone who has a trailer that sounds similar to what you are describing. It sure is handy, just needs a bigger toolbox.
That would be the same trailer that visited my shop wouldn't it?

Papabear, I got the passenger front signal sorted. For some unknown reason, there was a splitter in the turn connector. It's contacts were very corroded. Removed it and taped up a frayed wire and it's good to go. Lube on the drivers door handle has it working now. Passenger outside door lever is inop. That's next on the list.

Oh and I used two 1/2" wrenches to turn two nuts.... test drive to come tomorrow.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A few things have been addressed:

Pinhole leak in radiator patched.
Fueling adjusted to my liking.
Air compressor governor replaced.

Still need to get the parts to repair the passenger door mech. There's also a good number of leaks on the crane. Unfortunately they're mostly at the rotating base. So I'm just going to live with those leaks and stop anything else I can. Guess I'll keep a drip pan under it as well.

I'm going to figure out a means to secure the spare as well. I need to get out there tomorrow and start throwing a tape measure on things.

Once the mechanical issues are sorted, there's some sheetmetal repairs to be done to the hardtop, cab, and fenders. Hood is actually pretty nice on this one! I'm kinda wanting to change up the color on this one. I could 383 it to match the SEMTT. But I'm kinda thinking tan instead to match the 105 trailer I have around here that might end up with it.

I'd like to add locking hubs to it as well.

One interesting thing to note. The speedo on this truck is dead to rights according to my gps. Mileage is wrong, but speed is right.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

The reason that space is there is where the crane stores when it is folded up,

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Paid clinto and clintogf a visit today and picked up some lights for my M114. But while I was there he was kind enough to let me pilfer a door latch mechanism from a scrap door. So that's sorted out now. Didn't think about taking pics of the disassembly or install. But the original latch was stripped out.

uploadfromtaptalk1428189848761.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Paid clinto and clintogf a visit today and picked up some lights for my M114. But while I was there he was kind enough to let me pilfer a door latch mechanism from a scrap door. So that's sorted out now. Didn't think about taking pics of the disassembly or install. But the original latch was stripped out.

View attachment 551954

Ummm...I just remembered....maybe that's why we have that extra door sitting under one of the storage trailers??:oops:

I remember BFR telling me he had pretty much everything the truck needed in the crate he brought with the truck...but of course...the crate was placed somewhere on the compound and forgotten about until today.:clinto:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks