• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bid Collusion, Group Buys, etc

Just to add my 0.02$:

Folks, this is serious business.

I once went to a live auction for some computer equipment. While previewing some lots, I met a friend I hadn't seen in a few years, we talked for a while, and the conversation drifted to the condition of some of the gear that would be for sale. Long story short, the auctioneer overheard a comment, and we both got ejected from the auction with a warning, because he thought we might have been collaborating.

Maximum penalties are $1 million in fines and 10 years in jail. It is not worth it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it bid collusion if one member offers to buy one piece in a lot if another member wins the lot?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it bid collusion if one member offers to buy one piece in a lot if another member wins the lot?
I'm no lawyer, but I'll say this: It could be, but I doubt it would be. I think you'd have a hard time proving that. In that case, one person is buying a lot and the others are offering to buy conditionally. "I'll take one if you get them". Someone might argue that they are NOT bidding and, therefore, that might be an attempt to help suppress prices. But, that isn't necessarily the case. Individuals might not be able to afford an entire lot, so they offer to buy one off the winner. The problem is when multiple people start trying to choose lots to bid on.

The problem for SS is that the site does not want ANY implication or involvement in a collusion case. Even providing the medium to arrange "group buys" (forums or PM's) could turn out bad.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't think so, your not bidding, or even planing to bid. I've had people call and say, you want one of these, I'm buying a lot of them. Sometimes I will, but I don't want the hassle of selling the items myself.

Dennis

brianrbull

I dont want to be accused of collusion nor do I condone this type of activity. but I have seen the aforementioned lots and I have a question about the items them selves are these the complete kits to put power steering on a M35a2? I apologize in advance if we are not supposed to talk about upcomming auctions I am new after all....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To put things in perspective, from wikipedia:

"Bid rigging is an agreement between two or more competitors. It is a form of collusion, which is illegal in most countries. It is a form of price fixing and market allocation, and it involves an agreement in which one party of a group of bidders will be designated to win the bid. It is often practised where contracts are determined by a call for bids, for example in the case of government construction contracts."

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It appears to be about keeping up appearances.

person A buys a lot at auction and sells 2/3 of the stuff to B and C.
not collusion?

persons ABC discuss it and one of them buys it and they split it up.
collusion?

there was no difference to any party. It's all the appearnces.

too many worms in the spaghetti. Dont' look at the worms, just eat yer spaghetti.

wdbtchr

I have seen people ejected from live auctions twice just for discussing this very thing. I also saw two guys discussing purchase of items won and already paid for at a live auction and an official warned them to leave the property if they wanted to conduct business. The interesting thing was that they were away from the building the auction was held at near the parking lot. I was just standing, waiting for a friend close by and there was no one else to over hear them talking. The guy that warned them appeared seemingly from nowhere. Big Brother is listening, so be warned, even the appearance is a no no.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks