• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Biggest Badest SUV

Old Duece

The maruder is a varant of the rg 31 mrap take it from expeiance maps are not viable for mpg or live ability withe out gong ito to much detail they are super heavy and go through tires pretty quickly.

plym49

Grafting an existing SUV body would be kinda neat, but are the dimensions right? For my idea, I want the whole thing to scream Deuce, not Deuce and Suburban.

I'll have to do up a sketch of the rear section. Anybody have a picture of the back of the cab of a Deuce without the bed in place?
I agree that the dimensions and lines of what you rendered would look far better.

plym49

Wow .. Here is the photofiltre version of my plans for the new 923. Truck should clear EUc in about 3 weeks. and will begin work.
You are losing a lot of room with that slant back. Respectfully suggest squaring it off or adding a one or two foot observation deck to the back, just like an old time rr car. Would provide space for a spare and rain protection when using the back door.

plym49

We talked about that one in this thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/77414-suv-deuce.html The issues are flex at the cab joint and weight. The construction is straightforward enough once those details are worked out. You can make it look like an Oscar Meyer Weiner-mobile if you're willing to spend the time and money on it. So far, nobody seems to have found it worthwhile. I look forward to the build thread.
Heath, weren't you going to come up with some sketches in one of those threads?

I don't fully understand why the body could not be architected to eliminate the flex problem. If a good structure was tied into the frame, would that not solve the flex problem, at least for modest off-roading?

ODdave

Why try to make it ridgid? Make a sub structure / frame for the body, and mount it with the same style set up the bed has with the springs. Let it flex.

plym49

Why try to make it ridgid? Make a sub structure / frame for the body, and mount it with the same style set up the bed has with the springs. Let it flex.
Because, unless I am mistaken, if you design it to flex you will need a flexible coupling between the cab and the back body. Unless, maybe, if you make the entire new body one unit from firewall to tailgate, and that unit itself is mounted to flex with respect to the frame.

lost in the bush

You are losing a lot of room with that slant back. Respectfully suggest squaring it off or adding a one or two foot observation deck to the back, just like an old time rr car. Would provide space for a spare and rain protection when using the back door.

Thank you.. However the rear will have a forward folding hatch for rear and side mounted weapons.

lost in the bush

Plan to remove flex of cab and make entire body ridge. Will be utilizing 2" square steel tubing for body frame. Original thought to allow entire new body to flex, however final use would be better suited for a ridged body.

Heath_h49008

Plan to remove flex of cab and make entire body ridge. Will be utilizing 2" square steel tubing for body frame. Original thought to allow entire new body to flex, however final use would be better suited for a ridged body.
When you're talking about the amount of force a structure with that much mass can generate, you are going to be building a bridge girder. The weight would be enormous, and there would be no benefit in doing so.

A floating second frame would be massively lighter, and more capable off road/rough terrain.

To make it rigid, you would need to design a structure capable of holding 15,000 un-evenly distributed lbs straight when hit on one corner or another with the shock load of that mass hitting a obstruction at... say... 35 mph? The springs can dampen the impact, but only to distribute it to the spring mounts on the frame. If the body goes up, the force was applied.

I'm not saying it's impossible. But such a structure made of 2" square tube would be large. Also, you would be eliminating the current cab mounting system. They float from the factory.

Treating the cab and any body structure kinda like a pick-up/Bronco with a body lift... isolated from the frame flex and only forced to hold a fraction of the vehicle weight... would seem to be the easy solution.

As for my drawings... I still have paper sketches. I'll look for the thumb-drive I had the files on. My solution was a bit different. I wanted it to be removable.

missoula4x4

I agree that the dimensions and lines of what you rendered would look far better.
I agree. Slant back isn't for me either.

Because, unless I am mistaken, if you design it to flex you will need a flexible coupling between the cab and the back body. Unless, maybe, if you make the entire new body one unit from firewall to tailgate, and that unit itself is mounted to flex with respect to the frame.
Correct. Make the entire body able to flex from the frame.
Addressing all of that, my plans were to do a whole sub frame that stiffens and reinforces the original cab to the middle cab, to the cargo area. Make it one whole body unit from the firewall to the tailgate. It will keep the entire "cab" structure stronger, and then have that whole body mounted the same way they mount the stock cab so it can move separate from the frame. That should allow enough play for some articulation so the body doesn't twist or get funky (for a few times I may take it off pavement and into a field for tailgating the football games).

On another note, after looking at the renderings a lot, I'm thinking I'd rather go the "Suburban" length like my original photo, and not the "Blazer" length. And a lift and 53" ZXLs would definitely be in order.

Kohburn

normal precedure would be a 3 point mounting (2 front 1 rear) or a 4 point diamond mounting (1 front, 2 mid, 1 rear) to allow frame flex and free movement of the body. using airbags for the mounting allows for a cush ride without air-ride seats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks