• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bob deuce data plate--need count on truck numbers

DKELONE

I have gotten back to work on this project. I am starting with the M381A2
plate, making it for a 2 1/2 ton, updating the weights, not mentioning a winch, removing the ordnance number, removing the manufacturer and leaving a blank block to stamp that in. I thought XM35A2B or XM35A2BOB or ??? as to the designation as none of these are TO&E. Please give me your suggestions as I am not a deuce guy. Would you bobbed deuce folks give me an idea as to how many bobbed trucks are out there, w/w or wo/w, and how many of you want a plate like this? Pricing will depend on quantities I order & final art work charges but my best guess(purely a WAG) will be in the $30-40 range now. I hope to post my first draft here in a week or so and to bring a poster sample to the Topeka MVPA National for review. Spaces 21-24. I will list these in the classified when finalized. Thanks to B Prestin for his sample and info. PLEASE OFFER YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!

DKELONE

Those weights have not been updated yet. That plate info eas from a military prototype program. I have info from a bobbed deuce actual scale weight

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The correct designation for the bobbed deuce was XM-381. Since you are doing multi's, it would be safe to assume the correct designation would be XM-381A2. Did you get the info (weights etc) from the detroit arsenal build sheet? There is a link here somewhere.

mikew

Have you had the truck weighed with a load in it?

Your data plate lists only gaining 250 lbs on the front axle from empty to loaded.

I suspect that you will be a lot heavier than the listed weight.
The base artwork DKELONE is using is a plate I made for one of my bobbed trucks (when I uploaded it to the steelsoldiers I gave permission for anyone to use it as they liked).

I started with the XM381 spec sheet, did very precise calculations.... then made up the numbers!

My personal truck weights 10,300 with a half tank of fuel, so yes the weights are not correct. I made the artwork before my truck was finished and hadn't yet weighted it.

The total load capacity will depend on which springs you use for the rear, so the numbers will always be somewhat of a compromise.

I look forward to seeing some nice silkscreened (or anodized) plates!

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started with the XM381 spec sheet, did very precise calculations.... then made up the numbers!
My personal truck weights 10,300 with a half tank of fuel, so yes the weights are not correct.
The total load capacity will depend on which springs you use for the rear, so the numbers will always be somewhat of a compromise.
The Detroit Spreadsheet is the correct numbers for a short deuce GASSER. Multi's are alot heavier (around 500lbs or so). If you did a plate to the gasser specs (without the A2), I'd buy one FYI.

DKELONE

anyone have a feel for how many bobbed trucks are out there? w/w? wo/w?? oh, once i get the plates finalized production time is approx 8 weeks so don't expect them tomorrow

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone has a better quality copy of the build sheet, I sure would like to have a copy!
:ditto:

If I ever get around to building a bob deuce I'd like to copy the bed design instead of using a shortend deuce bed or a M105 bed. I just like the looks of it better.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I ever get around to building a bob deuce I'd like to copy the bed design instead of using a shortend deuce bed or a M105 bed. I just like the looks of it better.
They definately do look better that way but M34 beds are kind of hard to find.

Nonotagain

The base artwork DKELONE is using is a plate I made for one of my bobbed trucks (when I uploaded it to the steelsoldiers I gave permission for anyone to use it as they liked).

I look forward to seeing some nice silkscreened (or anodized) plates!
The only reason that I brought up the weight is that with most states having budget issues, one of the first things they go after is truck enforcement.

Using the XM381 data plate is a good thing in that they did exist, unlike making up your own model number. This is not a slam against "rolling your own" just that the more unusual you make something the more attention it gets, sometimes unwanted.

My home state is not supposed to issue "historic" vehicle plates to modified vehicles, yet I see them all the time. For the vehicle to be historic, it has to be as close to factory as possible and 20+ years old.

Frequently Asked Questions

Historic:
  • To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
  • A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
  • Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passenngers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).
Street Rod:
  • To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
  • Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

mikew

The only reason that I brought up the weight is that with most states having budget issues, one of the first things they go after is truck enforcement.
I did my plate for "show" purposes, the REAL data plate stays inside my dash box.

If I ever were to be questioned by authorities about my truck, I will show the REAL data plate.

As far as my state is concerned my truck is an M35A2 and those specs are all that mater. Just because I modified the truck didn't make it some other kind of truck.

My truck has a "normal" tag, not historic, etc.

miltruckman

My bobbed deuce scaled out at 10,480lb (with no front winch). This is with an M105 bed and 5 ton front springs on the rear. I have the Hemmt rims and 46 inch Good year tires.

Being over 10,000 lbs is very important as this makes the truck exempt from the "high rise" vehicle laws which would make this truck illegal for on road use otherwise. I had planned to install the front winch and weigh it again if the weight was too low. But this was not necessary.

The increased liscense plate cost for the higher weight was only $3 so I was happy with the outcome.

My local liscense branch was pretty adamant that under 10,000lb with my bumper and frame height was "off road use only" and I would have had to trailer the truck everywhere.

I sure can't put an I.D. plate on the truck that shows an empty weight under 10,000lb.

Bill
Michigan

DKELONE

The plate shows an early gasser w/o winch weight. This is what I will be startng with and will use actual rounded off weights from a w/w & wo/w bobbed deuce. Approx empty weights on the two are 10,600# & 10,300# so we should clear the bumper height restriction hurdle nicely. If anyone has a copy of this plate in a file structure other than .jpeg I would appreciate a copy. dkelone@aol.com. These plates will not replace your original data plate as that is the original serial numbering data plate. You will have to carry that along with you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks