• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bob deuce data plate--need count on truck numbers

DKELONE

I should have preliminary art work on 3 plates for the bobbed deuce-- XM381A2 wo/w,
XM381A2 w/w, & XM381A2 in a few days. I will post samples here for your comments. The XM381A2 plate will be used for both w/w & wo/w if production costs make it impractical to do both plates.

I would like to hear from you "bobber" guys as to what your best guess is as to how many of these bobbed trucks are out there---both w/w & wo/w. You can post your best guess here or email to me at Dkelone@aol.com. Thanks, David

DKELONE

I should have the final draft out to ss for comments by the end of the week. Once it passes comments from you guys and a couple of other groups then it is off to production. Art work costs have taken an increase as they cannot work from a .jpg file and it all has to be converted to something else. Production time should be about 6 weeks from the time I send it in. Thanks for all of the help from you guys, David

jimm1009

I understand the X in the model number but where did 381 come from?

Have you considered XM35A2 & XM35A2C

with and without winch too?

Inquiring minds need to know...

jimm1009

DKELONE

Jimm, see the early pages of the thread--this is discussed there. In a quick summary this was a bobbed gasser prototype # from the 1950's

jimm1009

Reading in fundamental.

Thanks as I did not flip far enough back in the thread. aua

It is funny that the military did not go through with the project.

Kind of neat but the civy bobbed units actually are really cool too.

It is indeed a neat idea for these.

jimm1009

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, now that you have them in whatever format, what happens next? I am curious how data plates are actually made. Are they etched? Screened? What is the difference in the end product, looks, and what did the army origionally have?

DKELONE

IMPORTANT!!!!! WOULD YOU BOBBER GUYS PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF THE PLATES & OFFER ANY IMPROVEMENTS. ONCE THEY ARE PRODUCED I'M STUCK WITH ERRORS & SO ARE YOU. PLEASE COMMENT OR I'LL TAKE SILENCE AS YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE.

NOW TO HENDERSONJ'S QUESTION:

This is not a simple question to answer. WWII and into the 50s & 60s and early 1970s is "etched raised letters". The military began to accept "photo Etched" plates in the late 70s 80s. These are "smooth surface" plates with the image actually photo etched into the metal. "Screened" is just paint on a plate and is not permanent or acceptable for vehicle use. OK for your bowling trophy but not for your restored M1 Abrams. Everything we have reproduced is done in "etched raised letters". As for the process from here, I send my crude art work & a sample plate to 3 milspec manufacturers who will quote costs in several quantities. I then decide which manufacturer to use and what quantity I think is necessary to meet the needs of the MV community. After I place the order they do the production artwork & manufacture the plates. Delivery from order date is approx 6 weeks.

jimm1009

I think that the final three drafts are very good.
If they are photo etched then they are going to resemble the most common appearance as the MV community is used to seeing.
If the screw holes and edge distances are the same as the M35A2 you have been able to correct the wieghts to more correct numbers then I vote 'go for it" but I am just one of many.
I further assume that the designed model that Uncle came up with was to have 4 OEM Deuce tires and wheels in the 9:00 x 20 NDCC design with the rear hubs probably flipped for uniform tracking (not part of data plate criteria of course)
I viewed and viewed and see no problem with your designs.

Great Work! Congradulations on a job well done.

jimm1009

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks