• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed '84 AMGeneral

Dipstick

Scott...thank you for your reply! I really like the look of a tandem axle Deuce, but having mine bobbed has several advantages. It fits nicely in my apartment complex's standard parking space. I can easily maneuver it through the narrow, twisty streets of my town. I saved $1,140 on the cost of radial tires. It reduced the cost of having it trucked from Idaho to N.J. (2,500 miles). I can still haul 8,000 pounds of stuff. I'm hoping that the reduced weight (2,000 lbs.), front hubs set to "free", the lessened rolling resistance of six radial tires, and the reduction in gear friction losses will give me a tad more power on hills. I installed my Ouverson hubs yesterday. Test drive coming later today.

Cletus09

What's the story with the tree in the background? Fell over, "Don't Cut", and the next picture it's gone? lol
I'm guessing they didn't want that part of the tree cut in order to save it for lumber.

Nice truck! I'm not a real fan of the whole bobbing idea (however I have no room to talk) But your is very nice and proportional. I like it. ;-)

Dipstick

My Registration

Dipstick,
How do you have your truck registered?
I have it register as a N.J. code 15 vehicle. That's a commercial vehicle registered non-commercially. It means that I can't use the truck for profit or hire, but I can drive it anywhere I want to day or night. The registration was about $175. $300 less than it would cost if it were registered for commercial use. I had a nice woman at progressive write a custom insurance policy for me that costs $700 per year. I felt it was the best solution for me personally. I didn't want the hassle of QQ (Historic) plates and antique vehicle insurers are a pain in the ***. I hope my answer is informative.

Dipstick

You're probably right about the tree. The center section of it's massive trunk had zero decay. Thanks for your kind words regarding my truck. Your M1009 is a practical vehicle. The camo paint scheme is really nice!

I wasn't a big fan of bobbing Deuces either, but it made sense to do it for practical reasons. Now, I'm glad I had it done. The people I meet when I stop love it. I was talking to a trucker for a half hour yesterday while in Home Depot's parking lot. He gave me tons of good advice. No babes yet. I'm guessing bobbed Deuces aren't babe magnets. My entire family hates the truck. They think I'm an idiot for buying it.

Yes, sure does answer some questions. I'm going to "attempt" to register mine as a collector vehicle. Hopefully MVC approves my request.
Will Progressive insure only 1 of your vehicles or do they require you insure all your vehicles through them?

caliber1

Your family hates that truck? Trade em in and get a new family. LOL

You're probably right about the tree. The center section of it's massive trunk had zero decay. Thanks for your kind words regarding my truck. Your M1009 is a practical vehicle. The camo paint scheme is really nice!

I wasn't a big fan of bobbing Deuces either, but it made sense to do it for practical reasons. Now, I'm glad I had it done. The people I meet when I stop love it. I was talking to a trucker for a half hour yesterday while in Home Depot's parking lot. He gave me tons of good advice. No babes yet. I'm guessing bobbed Deuces aren't babe magnets. My entire family hates the truck. They think I'm an idiot for buying it.

Dipstick

Steve...thanks for the pics. The brakes look fantastic! Who makes the kit?
Turbo.....good luck with the registration. I don't see why it shouldn't go through. I have Progressive insurance on my car and my son's pickup too. My Deuce has it's own policy though.
Jess...My Mom and I had an argument about it yesterday and we never ever argue. My Mom told me not to drive the truck to her house. Even my best friend of 42 years thinks I've lost my mind.

I replaced my air horn solenoid yesterday. No noise until I jumped it to ground. Looks like the horn button and the solenoid were both bad. I'll take apart the horn button next. Here's a pic of the new gauges I'm getting ready to swap in. I have the wire spider installed on the back side. Also, a picture of my new hubs.DSCF0880.jpgDSCF0877.jpg

caliber1

Warren, Steve makes those axles. Does beautiful work. His A3 bobber is a class act too. Rode with him for a bit last month in Richloam. Sorry about your Mom dude. Mine gets it, my father was a 21 year Army veteran, rode in deuces in Viet Nam, always talked about what a beast they were. Gonna put his rank and name on the right side windshield one day.

Those hubs are on my wish list with Santa. Have you noticed a difference in the way it drives?

Steve...thanks for the pics. The brakes look fantastic! Who makes the kit?
Turbo.....good luck with the registration. I don't see why it shouldn't go through. I have Progressive insurance on my car and my son's pickup too. My Deuce has it's own policy though.
Jess...My Mom and I had an argument about it yesterday and we never ever argue. My Mom told me not to drive the truck to her house. Even my best friend of 42 years thinks I've lost my mind.

I replaced my air horn solenoid yesterday. No noise until I jumped it to ground. Looks like the horn button and the solenoid were both bad. I'll take apart the horn button next. Here's a pic of the new gauges I'm getting ready to swap in. I have the wire spider installed on the back side. Also, a picture of my new hubs.View attachment 396935View attachment 396936

Dipstick

Jess, Who is Steve? My brain might be addled. Yeah, I'll have to patch things up with my Mom. Life is odd sometimes.

No. When driving my bob yesterday it felt no different than it did before the hubs. The steering is still a bit jittery over 25 mph. The trucker I spoke with though my tire pressure was way too low at 45 psi. That's what Idaho Motor Pool filled them to. I may try to go up to 60 psi and see if they track better. The tires are made for up to 120 psi.

tuff-truck-guy

oh before i forget steve are those disk brakes"street legal" all the kits i have found have been off road only? if they are street legal may i inquire as to where a set might be purchased? thnx. TTG

caliber1

Steve is the guy that posted the pics of the axles with the disc brakes on them. Steve6x6x6 is his handle. Builds axles, don't recall the name of his shop.

I run mine at 50 PSI on the front and rears. I have the Michelin XLs though. And yes, life is odd sometimes.

Jess, Who is Steve? My brain might be addled. Yeah, I'll have to patch things up with my Mom. Life is odd sometimes.

No. When driving my bob yesterday it felt no different than it did before the hubs. The steering is still a bit jittery over 25 mph. The trucker I spoke with though my tire pressure was way too low at 45 psi. That's what Idaho Motor Pool filled them to. I may try to go up to 60 psi and see if they track better. The tires are made for up to 120 psi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks