• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing m35a3 keeping 6x6

offroadexpeditions

I want to shorten my M35A3, but I would like to keep it 6x6. If I move the rear tandem forward about 3 ft, can it cause any negative impact on vehicle's performance, like stability, or turning? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter

Not sure about the clearances of all the components. Turning radius should be tighter but may require a little more muscle since you are essentially shortening your turning leverage, which may amplify the drag on the tandems. It would certainly be COOL. I haven't considered this option as my plan was to bob mine but I would love to see this build.:popcorn:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given you can cut out frame pieces accurately to shorten it, re-join them securely, and have a location for the fuel tank, etc, I see no problem with your idea. It is best not to weld the top and bottom flanges of a truck frame rail just in case they are tempered, so a long, tight fitting splice, inside and outside the rails, held in place with high grade bolts is best. It is really good if you can find a frame rail piece off another truck that fits nicely over the outside or inside the Deuce frame rail for the splice. Failing that, cut the flange off one side of the cut out deuce rail pieces, place one over the outside with the flange up or down, the other inside the rails with the flange in the opposite direction. Solidly bolt through.
Regards Marti

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
JUST slide the total rear assemble forward, cut of the rear frame, reinstall the rear cross member, a lot better then slicing/dicing the frame

I want to shorten my M35A3, but I would like to keep it 6x6. If I move the rear tandem forward about 3 ft, can it cause any negative impact on vehicle's performance, like stability, or turning? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Peter
The reason this idea intrigues me is that if I did it I would be able to park in a normal parking spot without compromising payload capacity like I would if I bobbed it. I also think it would be nice to have the sharper turning radius. Both of these points would be beneficial if I started using the truck as a daily driver.

Where are you planning on putting the fuel tank and spare tire holder?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There was one for sale locally to me on craigslist for a while. Looked absolutely idiotic IMO. Why bother with it?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I could see doing that. I parked my Chevy Avalanche next to the A3, the A3 is about 3 feet longer. Which brings up a thought : my HOA prohibits trucks longer than 19 ft........

jrobinson5093

I seen a m35a2 like than on here a while back can remember the thread right now but I dont think it would help turning it might make it worse. the tandems will probable try to push the front or you will wear the back tires out quick.

There was one for sale locally to me on craigslist for a while. Looked absolutely idiotic IMO. Why bother with it?
Dang, I wish I would have seen that. If it looks stupid then I would abandon the idea. The last interesting thing I saw on craigslist was a bobbed deuce for only $4,500 (Macon I think).

Does anyone have a picture of a shortened (not bobbed) deuce?

offroadexpeditions

The reason this idea intrigues me is that if I did it I would be able to park in a normal parking spot without compromising payload capacity like I would if I bobbed it. I also think it would be nice to have the sharper turning radius. Both of these points would be beneficial if I started using the truck as a daily driver.

Where are you planning on putting the fuel tank and spare tire holder?
I will put them in the bed behind the cab. I want to have it for daily use, and the off road use. The extra axle would spread the weight over larger area, so it would not sink that easily. I would like to remove some leaf springs from the back, to make suspension softer. Don't care about payload much. Any idea how many and which springs should I remove?

APM215

The only real problem I can see with moving the axle forward is the drive shaft angle and slip yoke extendibility to allow for axle articulation. Do some quick math to see how much up and down travel you want in relation to how much the drive shaft needs to grow or shrink to find out how short you can make it. I think it would be a cool truck for in the woods or the trails. Go for it and take pic’s of your progress.

59apache

Chipmaker
i guess its harder to steer around corners...if i see the lever between the front axle and the rear and keep in mind that the rear rubbing heavy on the ground....shorter lever, more effort. on soft ground it tends to drive straight ... over the full lock front tires...

only presumptions. build it, we'll see it!
nopics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks