• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbing m35a3 keeping 6x6

KaiserM109

Ridgerunner’s avatar, is cool looking. Rambling Wreck’s picture if funny, but APM215’s is hilarious!! That nose job!!

I don't think anybody mentioned this cause I didn't have time to read each post in detail, but putting a lockout hub on your middle axle or maybe pulling an axle and replacing it with a cap will help its handling on a hard surface road.

I have seriously been thinking about getting an A3 and putting my shop van box on it to get a better highway truck and bobbing my old (A2) frame. Then I'd mount my MKT-85 trailer on it. I would have figure out a way to be able to slide it back 3' when its parked so that I can drop all 4 decks.

' Love the creativity I see and hear here.

Last edited:

plym49

If you decide to bob with one rear axle, maybe keep the dual tires. There have been a few photos of trucks built like that here on the forum, and they do not look bad at all.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be careful as some have said in some cases she might go where the rear wants to go instead of where you want it to go. My .02 no way would I want a tandem that short.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, they couldn't even bother with relocating the tandem in the frame. Just hack it and weld it back together!

EXPLICIT1

patracy what do u mean ? u think we should move the tandoms back ? all we did was cut and move the frame in 3'. every thing works 100% this is our offroad beater and have never had any problems love the look. getting ready to do it to our a3 too.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
patracy what do u mean ? u think we should move the tandoms back ? all we did was cut and move the frame in 3'. every thing works 100% this is our offroad beater and have never had any problems love the look. getting ready to do it to our a3 too.
You obviously are unaware of the frames having a tinsel to them. Any heat or welding removes that from it. So over time the frame will crack beside the weld points. It might not crack tomorrow, it might not crack for 5 years. It will crack someday though. Usually Murphy makes sure it's at the worst moment as well...

Ridgerunner

Deuce frames are not tempered. This has been gone over many times. Infact the large main cross member right above the tandems on a Deuce is welded (and bolted) right to the frame. Imagine that, they welded on the frame right from the factory.

trukhead

The bobbed 6x6 is an intriguing idea. Great for soft ground. I'd put a steer axle on the rear tandem location. I thinks the M35A3 would be the best with CTIS and the automatic. and the super singles.:jumpin::driver::mrgreen::doghead:

Even better would be bob the truck as above and add a subframe to the 4 pin points on the front of the truck and add another steer axle. I would get rid of the steer axle U-Joints and replace them with super duty C-V Joints.:drool:

quickfarms

The twisting off road is what can crack the frame. A vertical weld is not done on commercial truck frames, they are cut on an angle to increase the length of the weld

phil2968

The twisting off road is what can crack the frame. A vertical weld is not done on commercial truck frames, they are cut on an angle to increase the length of the weld
Commercial truck frames are tempered. That's why they stamp "do not weld" into them.
Deuce frames are just mild steel and have been welded on many times. If they crack from stress it would have nothing to do with a good weld on the frame. If you can show me a stress cracked frame on a deuce I would like to see it!
By the way, my bobber frame was sectioned and welded but not by me.
Darrel Braun did it!
That should raise some eyebrows by those that know/knew him! The weld job is nice and I don't have a problem with it.
If it breaks I will post it here with pics and blame him!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because someone posts that deuce frames aren't tempered doesn't make it true.
These frames are designed to flex, you may have noticed the spring mount on the bed.
Mild steel bends and stays that way. Don't look at the heat treat code on the frame rails either.
I've seen a K5 Blazer frame crack next to the welds used to move the rear axle back.
Yes I said the frame cracked not the weld itself.

phil2968

So weld or not weld? That is the question. Mine has been sectioned and welded, I can't change that. I would just have shorted the frame but it was done before I bought it. I can and will post on here if it ever cracks!
Maybe the frames are not "mild" steel but what is the tempering applied to them? I agree with you Bob that mild steel bends and stays that way.
Even on my bobber I spring mounted the front of the flat bed while the rear is mounted solid.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These frames are designed to flex, you may have noticed the spring mount on the bed......
Very true! That's what they do - even being mild steel (which they are in fact)... because -like most solids- they still have a certain elasticity... and because in "normal" service that elastic limit is never reached.
Mild steel bends and stays that way.
Also true! ... in excess of its yield strength, yes.
BTW, the same will happen to a Deuce spring leaf, which is basically a piece of hardened and tempered steel strip !
(Some reading, below...)
Don't look at the heat treat code on the frame rails either
Never noticed that one on a Deuce frame... HELP! :?

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks