• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bonedoc's M35A2 modification thread

peashooter

That all looks fantastic! I've never seen that type of differential breather kit before, cool. I also love those braded hoses under the hood.... Very well done!

bonedoc

That all looks fantastic! I've never seen that type of differential breather kit before, cool. I also love those braded hoses under the hood.... Very well done!

Thanks Aaron,
I ran all the axles and the air pack vent to the breather. I kept them separate until they terminate at the breather. So far all the airlines have worked out good.
Brake lines will be here tomorrow as well as my new injector lines. I also ordered a new set of rear suspension bumpstops from Big Mike's. In one of the pics you can see my bumpstop separating from the mount. Should have it all together and running....and stopping...lol...by the end of this weekend.

bonedoc

One of the things I found as I was working on the truck was that under the front crossmember sat my front axle brake line, part of the wiring harness and the fuel line from my primary filter to the injection pump. So I planned on removing the brake line. Peashooter told me that the older trucks had the line there and since I'm replacing all my brake lines I'll run the front line across the crossmember and up the passenger frame rail as indicated in peashooter's brake line schematic.
The wiring harness will get pulled up and fastened out of harm's way. The fuel line...looked horrible. So I decided to replace it. It literally started to fall apart as I removed it. I took it to a hose shop, they made me up a PTFE stainless wrapped hose with the correct ends and a new 45 degree fitting for the injection pump. Unfortunately it didn't work as I wanted to run the line up on top of the front cross member and the wrapped line isn't flexible enough. So I did some measurements and we modified the hose with 90 degree elbows and it fit perfect....almost. One more slight correction and it is a perfect fit. Had to shorten the line off the primary about an inch and shorten the hose coming across the cross member about 2 inches. The hose is in 3 pieces and I'm going to post pics of the pieces with measurements for anyone who would like to replace theirs and wants measurements to make up a hose. It looks like it may even clear the pto shaft for a front winch but that I'm not positive of. I have Westfolk's primary spin on fuel filter but I think the original fuel was in the exact same place so the measurements should work for a stock set up as well. Here are some pics of the old line, new... and finally the final product. The pic with the line in 3 pieces is the final hose. The 45 degree elbow is on my injection pump so I'get some pics of that as well.

Attachments

bonedoc

Here is a pic of the 45 degree elbow on the injection pump. I rotated it far enough so it faced forward. The line fits almost perfectly. Unfortunately what I didn't think about was that when I shortened the part of the hose that lays on the crossmember is that the fitting sits right against the front engine mount and with the primary filter housing being a bit recessed back it is hard to bend the line around the mount and attach it. Ultimately I could but to me it would put undue stress on the hose. So solution....use a 1-2" extender on the primary filter outlet and move fitting where the hose attaches forward slightly.
Also I got my brakelines today!!! Woohooo!!!

Attachments

Another Ahab

Ultimately I could but to me it would put undue stress on the hose. So solution....use a 1-2" extender on the primary filter outlet and move fitting where the hose attaches forward slightly.
It's great when a problem has a relatively easy solution (because sometimes they don't). :)

bonedoc

It's great when a problem has a relatively easy solution (because sometimes they don't). :)
I'll be putting it together later today. Then I'll post pics of it as well as measurements. I figure with the measurements if anyone else likes the way the hose is run and wants to copy it they can.

bonedoc

Here are some pics of the fuel line pieces with a tape measure to give an idea of length.

The short piece is the elbow coming off the primary filter. It is a 90 degree elbow and approx. 2.75" x 4.5"

The next piece is the middle piece that comes across the crossmember. It is approximately 19.25" long and the entire stretch from side to side when al three pieces are put together is about 23" long. The pic of the middle piece will be in next post.

Attachments

bonedoc

I know right....took me a few minutes trying to take those pics before I grabbed my niece who was at the house for an extra hand....or two to keep the hose straight.

peashooter

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I forgot to mention earlier that I remember someone's thread from a year or 2 ago about a member getting new injector lines and finding out that several of them had obstructions within the brand new lines. So make sure to check them before mounting them.
Talk about your nightmares, that would be one of them right there; what a PIA.

bonedoc

Thanks for the heads up. Have not installed those yet. but will be sure to make sure they are clear before installing.

On another note I finally got to take the truck out for a drive. Brakes work great. Pedal feels good, has a little different travel feel then beforehand but who knows how long things weren't right. Pedal feels good and the brakes work very good. I haven't attempted a lock up but they grab and stop the truck fine.
So far no leaks, everything is dry. Something that is interesting...I get a subtle swoosh sound of air release when I let off the brake pedal. Never used to have that. Is that normal? If so....maybe my airpack issues have been brewing for a long time.

Took a bunch of pictures and will upload those later.

peashooter

So far no leaks, everything is dry. Something that is interesting...I get a subtle swoosh sound of air release when I let off the brake pedal. Never used to have that. Is that normal? If so....maybe my airpack issues have been brewing for a long time.

Took a bunch of pictures and will upload those later.
Yes that swoosh is the airpack venting as the internal air assist ram travels back to "home" position

Another Ahab

Yes that swoosh is the airpack venting as the internal air assist ram travels back to "home" position
peashooter, you know more about the "Art" of the Deuce than d*** near any human being alive I believe (I mean you, and the select few others who regularly chime in here so helpfully).

I don't vent own a Deuce anymore, but want to thank you anyhow for all the pearls of wisdom and knowing. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks