• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bonedoc's M35A2 modification thread

Another Ahab

In all seriousness....if anyone is looking for one, Suprman was great to deal with and for $200.00 complete and new it was the best price I had seen anywhere.
Looks like a real nice item:

- So, it's electric running off 110V?

- Standard three-prong male plug?

- And do you maybe know how many amps the tool draws?

Sorry for the lots of questions, but it might be something worth having.

Ford Mechanic

Looks like a real nice item:

- So, it's electric running off 110V?

- Standard three-prong male plug?

- And do you maybe know how many amps the tool draws?

Sorry for the lots of questions, but it might be something worth having.
It's 24 volt, check out the slave cylinder hookup, the green plug in the box.

Last edited:

rustystud

Well got another toy today for the truck. Purchased this from SS member Suprman. I had been looking for one for a while and he has a bunch of these, brand spanking new, sealed and everything. Complete 1/2" roboimpact gun kit with torgue multiplier and such. Plan on putting this inside the cab, should fit nicely right under the passenger bench seat.
In all seriousness....if anyone is looking for one, Suprman was great to deal with and for $200.00 complete and new it was the best price I had seen anywhere.
Already bought mine from him ! Should arrive in a few days. The kicker for me was the "torque multiplier" . With that you can take off any bolt on this truck with that electric impact. Really guys this is a very sweet deal ! Having literally spent over $120,000 in tools for work I know a deal when I see it.

bonedoc

Already bought mine from him ! Should arrive in a few days. The kicker for me was the "torque multiplier" . With that you can take off any bolt on this truck with that electric impact. Really guys this is a very sweet deal ! Having literally spent over $120,000 in tools for work I know a deal when I see it.
Exactly the reason I purchased it. I had read threads from people saying that alone it was able to budge the lug nuts but with the torque multiplier it should have no problem. Glad to hear you ordered one. You won't be disappointed, they are nice units. The year on the sealing wrapper on mine was 2009 so they are a relatively new manufacture as well.

Another Ahab

Well got another toy today for the truck. Purchased this from SS member Suprman. I had been looking for one for a while and he has a bunch of these, brand spanking new, sealed and everything. Complete 1/2" roboimpact gun kit with torgue multiplier and such. Plan on putting this inside the cab, should fit nicely right under the passenger bench seat.
No kidding, I was thinking of picking one up if I could plug it in conventionally (and not for any MV's, just in general).

I would have expected paying easily twice that for a good solid 1/2" tool.

rustystud

No kidding, I was thinking of picking one up if I could plug it in conventionally (and not for any MV's, just in general).

I would have expected paying easily twice that for a good solid 1/2" tool.
Just for a good "torque multiplier" you will pay over $350.00 . For a great torque multiplier you will pay over $800.00 . I don't know the exact quality of this multiplier yet but I know the US military would not settle for junk, so it must at least be a good one.

bonedoc

Finally started to work on getting my heater installed. Sick of not driving the truck when it is in the teens and single digits...lol. Had a couple hours to start putting a few pieces on. I've seen different ways of installing the heater box, inside cab, on firewall, in stock location. I'm going to shorten my box to make the unit more compact but will install it on the factory bracket but will shift it closer to the firewall so it doesn't block all the side access to the motor. Also going to install a block heater and coolant filter at the same time. I have a new temp sending unit that I'll put in as well while cooling system is open.

Attachments

bonedoc

I had finally gotten my heater box cut down and installed a month or more ago. Haven't hooked it up yet or finished the interior hookup. The intake hose and the hose between heater and firewall elbow are installed. Hoping to get all my cooling system fitting installed tomorrow. Then will have my block heater, heater lines, and coolant filter lines installed.

Attachments

bonedoc

I also got my .222 ratio speedo adapter installed last weekend. Got the adapter from Big Mike's and also installed a new seal in the transfer case adapter end. That bad seal was letting transfer case oil seep into and through the adapter. This was creating an oil leak...or actually a drip from the speedo cable as it collected oil. I guess it kept it lubed but was annoying. All dry now so far and the speedo with 395s is dead on.

The next step is to pick up my new trans, so this summer I can pull the original trans, new clutch, rear main seal, oil pan gaskets and input and output seals on transfer case. That should take care of the majority of drips under the truck.

Attachments

Another Ahab

I had finally gotten my heater box cut down and installed a month or more ago. Haven't hooked it up yet or finished the interior hookup. The intake hose and the hose between heater and firewall elbow are installed. Hoping to get all my cooling system fitting installed tomorrow. Then will have my block heater, heater lines, and coolant filter lines installed.
Did you fabricate the "shelf" for the heater box yourself?

bonedoc

Did you fabricate the "shelf" for the heater box yourself?
No that is a stock heater mount. Just shifted it further back. Others have mounted their's on the firewall, I choose not to. I can access most maintenance items easily and was happy with keeping that room.

bonedoc

Met fellow SS member ZiggyO on Tuesday. Great guy with a lot of knowledge. Bought a new trans from him that he had on hand. Wanted to rebuild mine but mine appears to have a case repair that is seeping. Going to swap mine out this summer and do some maintenance and updating in those areas as well. Plans include, new clutch, rear main seal, re-seal oil pan, new u-joints in jack shaft, and new input and output seal on transfer case. That should clear up most of my drips/seeps.

Attachments

bonedoc

Finally got the time to drain my cooling system and install the valves for my cab heater and coolant filter as well as install a Kats block heater and new temp sensor that I had on hand. Installation went well, the only plug that gave me trouble was the one on the water pump housing. Soaked it with PB for a day or 2 then heated it with a propane torch, used an 8pt socket and the plug came out with very little effort.
Finished the install and realized that I made a mistake on my return plumbing. The water pump housing plug is 3/4" npt and I had a 3/8" T-fitting going into a 3/8"npt 90 degree elbow into the housing. The T-fitting had both 3/8" npt valves in it. Realized that this is going to create a significant flow restriction I changed everything out for a 3/4" npt T-fitting and elbow. Both 3/8" valves dump into the T-fitting. This is much larger and should allow much better flow volume. I also moved one of my out put valves which I originally put on the thermostat housing to the side of the manifold next to my heater output valve. I was happier with this as well as I could then use the thermostat plug to help purge air from the manifold water jacket when filling it.
Still need to get my cab heater hoses but everything appears to flow well. Both coolant filter lines are getting hot so there is flow there and all the plumbing sealed up tight with no leaks.
Have to give FORD MECHANIC a shout out because I know he flushed the radiator and motor when he had the truck. The coolant was spotless and looked like it had just come out of the bottle. I did not flush it out because it was so clean. Just re-filled it with new coolant.
Here are some pics of the valve install, you can see the difference in the arrangements I did as well as the significant size difference in the return plumbing.

Attachments

Last edited:

bonedoc

It looks "spanking" new; right out of the crate (i.e., not re-built).

Is that right?
Yes Sir!! NOS fresh out of the crate. Crate fell apart though so I just strapped it to the moving dolly for ease of moving. My extra parts are stored indoors in an extra room at my office so moisture exposure isn't an issue.

Another Ahab

Finally got the time to drain my cooling system and install the valves for my cab heater and coolant filter as well as install a Kats block heater. .
That's some real clean looking work; nice job. [thumbzup]

That doesn't look like a block-heater; what's the cable in this shot here?

cable.jpg

bonedoc

That's some real clean looking work; nice job. [thumbzup]

That doesn't look like a block-heater; what's the cable in this shot here?

View attachment 622748
I guess a block heater it isn't. That is the cable for the plug heater. It is a small one, which I haven't necessarily had any need for, but I had it on hand and installed it anyway. Figured I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Ford Mechanic

Thanks, yeah I flushed the system early on and then that radiator got a pin hole in it so pulled it had it fixed and flushed and I flushed the engine again while it was out.

peashooter

Met fellow SS member ZiggyO on Tuesday. Great guy with a lot of knowledge. Bought a new trans from him that he had on hand. Wanted to rebuild mine but mine appears to have a case repair that is seeping. Going to swap mine out this summer and do some maintenance and updating in those areas as well. Plans include, new clutch, rear main seal, re-seal oil pan, new u-joints in jack shaft, and new input and output seal on transfer case. That should clear up most of my drips/seeps.
It looks like the picture of your new tranny is a 3053. Is that any different than the 3053A that most deuces have?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks