• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A M275 Need some guidance

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Seems as if "the boss" has plans for me for new years eve and day. Fri I have to work, Sat I'll be out of town again, Sun I'll be working too.

I don't know if I'll be able to aid with recovery. I believe I have the parts you need, will try to let you know soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1966 seemed to be the big production year for the M275A2. Seen a couple of 67s and the only AM General one I've ever sen was mine. Should be interesting to see the ID number and clear pics of the data plate.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a good article to figure out what year it is .
Deciphering the codes: Kaiser-Jeep and AM ... - Military Trader
Thanks for that link. According to the info on there it is an early 1971 build. Not sure where the 1978 on the title comes from. I will try to change it when I title it in my name if it isn't too big a hassle. If so it will remain a 1978 M275a2 forever. :beer:

Went back out there today to try and start it. According to prior owner it last ran 1.5 years ago. Fuel tank is half full and looks/smells good. Topped off the radiator (about 1 gallon low) checked oil and plugged in the new batteries. Full strength and ready to go. Turned on the switch and let it pump for about 3 minutes then hit the switch. Cranked and cranked but no start, crap. Tried again with ether, tried to start, but still no go. Tried until batteries started getting weak. As it was about 24 degrees with a 15 mph wind, decided to quit for the day. Will attack again Friday (supposed to be low 50s). Hopefully better luck when warmer. Also did some reading on here for some ideas to try and things to check. I have a truck and trailer lined up to haul it home and called him tonight to ask about a winch and he has one on the trailer if it has to be a dead truck recovery (hopefully not). Will post more later (if you're not too bored by then).

Last edited:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems as if "the boss" has plans for me for new years eve and day. Fri I have to work, Sat I'll be out of town again, Sun I'll be working too.

I don't know if I'll be able to aid with recovery. I believe I have the parts you need, will try to let you know soon.
Thanks for all the help Chris. I appreciate it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd give it a 3sec shot of starting fluid and see if she wakes up. Also, pull the fuel shut-off rod cover and make sure the lever under that is moving freely. It will help in the long run. If it doesn't move freely, I'd fix that before starting it.

Monkeyboyarmy

Hmmm. Maybe just cold weather and old fuel. Doesn't sound like the fuel lever is stuck in the pump if you are getting good smoke. Does it have a flame heater type cold start or ether injection?

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No ether injection on it. First thing I looked for under the hood. I had a can of it with me though. The smoke from the exhaust could have been from the ether I was shooting into it. I am not sure where or what the flame heater is. Still doing recon (research) on these things. .

Last edited:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd give it a 3sec shot of starting fluid and see if she wakes up. Also, pull the fuel shut-off rod cover and make sure the lever under that is moving freely. It will help in the long run. If it doesn't move freely, I'd fix that before starting it.
Did that a few times. Would get right to the point I thought it would fire, but still no go. I plan on checking the fuel pump rod and the tank pump fuse Friday when I head back out there. Truck is 60 miles from here. Close, but still a good drive to get to it

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you hear the in tank fuel pump running when you flip the battery switch? Most of the time deuces will start if the pump isn't working but not always.
Didn't listen for it as I was in the cab with the buzzer blocking out most other sounds. Will check it out for sure when I get back there Friday. Making a list to take with me for sure so I don't forget everything I need to look at.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unplug the low air buzzer while you are trying to diagnose the problem. That thing will drive you nuts after awhile. Good luck.

SteveKuhn

"...Nothing was cut off and I am pretty sure I can return it to a tractor with a minimum of fuss..."

The bed is nice. I saw photos of a 5 ton where the 5th wheel was still in place and the bed docked to it like a trailer. Mounted like a slide in camper. I'd want better bracing than that one had but having a convertible leaves open a lot of possibilities.

Food for thought.

Good luck on the start.

Steve

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"...Nothing was cut off and I am pretty sure I can return it to a tractor with a minimum of fuss..."

The bed is nice. I saw photos of a 5 ton where the 5th wheel was still in place and the bed docked to it like a trailer. Mounted like a slide in camper. I'd want better bracing than that one had but having a convertible leaves open a lot of possibilities.

Food for thought.

Good luck on the start.

Steve
I think I saw that also in a for sale ad down in Florida I think. I think for right now I will leave the bed and see how it looks when up and running with the scrap metal out of it.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No luck getting it started today. It looks like an in tank fuel pump r&r is in store for it.
I did get it out from behind the garage and up near the road so I can pick it up with the gooseneck trailer this weekend. Tried to pull it out with my Duramax and only succeeded in bending one of my chain hooks. The tires had sunk into the soil about 5 inches and the ground was frozen so I couldn't move the truck with my truck even though I was able to string over 100 feet of chain and get onto the paved road.
I was able to talk to one of the guys on the fire department that is selling the actual bridge truck I was checking out to buy when I found out about the deuce. He brought the bridge truck "Tiny" (printed on front of hood) over to tug it out. First tried hooking up chain and pulling it out. No go. Not enough traction even with the bridge truck. So we reeled out some cable from the rear mounted winch and in short order the deuce was out of the ruts and up near the garage on solid gravel pack where retrieval with the gooseneck should be a snap.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks