• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A M275 Need some guidance

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know Scott, that bed looks mighty good on the truck. I'd ride it for a spell. I loved my 275 but often wished it had a bed. As far as bridge trucks, they are super cool. Beefy looking.

Last edited:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the plan. It is a really nice bed in excellent shape and I like the way it looks on there. That is the cheapest option for right now also. I can always change it later if I decide to.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quarter fenders and ramps are the most difficult stuff to find. 5th wheels are easy and porch stuff just diamond plate. The correct pogo stick was a pita for me to find but stuff that looks right is plentiful. Cool tidbit of info. Your trolley brake will brake trailers towed from the pintle too. I smoked someone out in one of the East Coast convoys will "testing" the brakes on my M103A3 (repeatedly).

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to open up the transmission tomorrow and check to see if it might be salvageable. When these things go tits up is it real obvious? The prior owner told me that 2nd and 3rd gears are out so will damage to those usually be easily recognized? Also, if they are fubar and the truck was driven any amount afterwards are the bearings usually toasted by the fragments of metal flowing in the oil?
What are some other things I should look for while in the trans? Any good tips or tricks to help get into and out of the case would be appreciated!

Jeepsinker

It should be quite obvious what the problem is. Don't worry about the bearings, it wasn't driven much if any at all without 2nd and 3rd. The metal usually just falls to the bottom and stays there. There is no oil pump in these transmissions.

jasonjc

The 2nd 3rd gear is held on the shaft by two keys they seem to get sheared off. That tends to crew up the shaft. Not hard to fix.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, have the trans to the point of bringing the shaft out the rear of trans, but can't get the main shaft to slide out the back. Any tips or tricks from the intelligentsia?

Jeepsinker

If you don't have the rear bearing out you need to remove it. Tap it out gently from inside with a long 3/8" extension. There may or may not also be a snap ring you need to remove behind the bearing towards the rear of the truck. Knock the bearing out, slide the shaft back and pull it up and out toward the front of the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks