• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A Tank

3dAngus

OMG!!! HE REALLY DID BUY IT!!!

The police were seen at his residence this morning writing him a ticket for parking on the curb.

(The curb is no longer there)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for helping me out. You guys really are a swell bunch.

A buddy of mine got me a set of track jacks. Wouldn't you know it, the tracks were flat when I got it. I tried to jack up the tank with the track jacks but can't figure out how to work them. The TM is in the turret and I don't feel like climbing up there to find out so figured I'd ask on here.

Also when I stopped suddenly I heard a kacling. Note it was a kacling not a kathunk or a kaching but a kaling. Anyone know what that could be?

My buddy who use to work on tanks in the NG back in the 50s says that although he's senile, he remembers the spark plugs have to be changed on these things every 3000000 hours. What spark plugs do I need to get?

One last thing, the floor in the turret moves when I rotate the gun. I want it to stay still, how would I do that?

Oh and almost forgot, it sure it sweet. I even checked the underneath side for rust and soft spots. Took me since 6 this morning (almost 7 hours) to find only 2 soft spots in the armor in th belly. Both of these spots (one on each side front) had these hex shaped objects sticking out. Is that normal? Are they suppose to be there? Whew, glad I only have these two soft spose cause I did't want to have to swap out the entire floor pan on this beast.

Darwin T

LanceRobson - Some guy on the forum says any fool should be able to fab up a homemade tow bar out of discarded tuna cans and tow it home with a Budget rent-a-truck, what do you guys think...

make sure you buy the insurance on the rental incase the transmision goes out. [thumbzup]

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
You need to contact this guy who hangs out on the site and he can tell you everything about that tank. Let me warn you first, he is kinda cranky and uptight. I think its a Georgia thing. You now need to ask, the million dollar question. "I just bought a tank, what do I need for the recovery??? This is my first MV. Can I drive it off the GL lot? How do I bleed the brakes? I am not into reading manuals and all that stuff so just give me the quicky version of what I need to know. What tools should I take? ..."

Darwin T

One more thing guys that I forgot to ask, I brought it to use, NOT sit in my yard to look at, so since I want to use my new TOY, where can I get bullets so I can SHOOT the gun on 4th of july and other special days, also do you think my HOA will have a problem with my tank and shooting the gun, thanks guys

load it like a musket, black powder and a slug, oh yea, and one heck of a ramrod. :grd:

bansil

Thanks for helping me out. You guys really are a swell bunch.

One last thing, the floor in the turret moves when I rotate the gun. I want it to stay still, how would I do that?

:deadhorse:

Read the TM's............. if it needs to be done it's in there.....

I looked just for you

1)remove floor bottom (can do this when you have tools out to fix soft spots)

2)buy very $$$ steel footed shoes (not just toes)

3)re-assemble what you took loose

see.........easy:p

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do I find the serial number on it, can anybody tell me when it was manufactured? My data plate says 1999 but I'm not sure.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
DUDE!!!!!!I'm right down the road from you.....I got a awesome set of metric tools I bought at Habor Fright......I'll be glad to help you work on it. Most of them are little bitty but we should be able to wing it. We can take it wheelin in the Federal Wildlife Refuge...those park rangers will never know.

I am waiting on the EUC to clear on my M123 I got from GL at Camp Swampy six months ago.... know it is a 45 year old truck but with that lowboy trailer I got from GSA we should be able to pull it 650 miles if it wont start. You may have to chip in for gas since I can't afford diesel.

I don't have tags or insurance but we can dress up like army guys and they will never know.

I have a bunch of old batteries we can use to jump start it with.....we'll just have to wire them all together to get enough juice. My jumper cables are made out of old extension cords I got at the dump but they are as good as real slave cables.

I'm sorta on parole so give me time to fix it with my PO since I ain't supposed to leave the state without permission.

As soon as I get some minutes on my cell phone call me.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Oh and I want to install a keg holder with tap dispenser at the 5 oclock position in liew of that machine gun that fits next to the big gun. And sense i don't want to climb back and forth from the driving position to that big hatch location, I need to know how to move the steering wheel from the drivers place to the big hatch up on top.

Ooops, I just had the hatch close on my hand. I'm missing a few fingers and I have some bones sticking out. It that ok? Boy that sure makes typing hard.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wow big thanks and a big 10-4 there good buddy. The GL guy says I can pull start it. He says just us using my Datsun pickup truck should work.

Not sure who posted it but I sure would like to buy that snorkel. Will that work for crossing from Hawaii to California? Will California force me to get it emmisions tested.

Oh I just remembered my passport is expired. I'll have to get a new one before we go to Hawaii. Hey since we're there, maybe we can test the snorkel out in Perl Harbor. Figure we run it over that ship that's sunk there in the harbor. Sounds like fun.

Will also be wanting the widest tracks I can get for this bad boy.

BTW: how many were made and how many are still around in military service. Am I the first to get one?

Thanks guys and thanks Wreckman (misspelling as are all misspellings on purpose) for helping me out.

You guys sure are swell and smell wonderful.

dittle

What kind of comfy seats will fit in this thing? I don't like the original ones.

Can I find a smaller steering wheel (T-Bar) for this, my gut hits on it...don't know how the guys in the service fit in these.

dittle

How can I get a 12V alternator mounted to this to run all of my accessories and where can I mount the extra batteries? I don't want a converter as it would be too easy.

sterlun

What a bunch of jerks! Really sorry to see these guys picking on you so bad! I will attempt to address some of your concerns...

The M1 is a great daily driver. I drive mine to work, church, grocery store, etc. It's very highway friendly and maneuverable in heavy traffic. 90 mph is easily attainable by using larger rollers on the front of the left track and on the rear of the right track. Really about the only drawback to the daily driver is that I have been ticketed wrongfully for double parking. KNOW YOUR LOCAL LAWS! In GA the law makes special parking provisions for tanks and other TPV's (Tracked Passenger Vehicles). The GPM could also be considered a small drawback but I have devised an ingenious fix for this. I'll be swapping out the current engine set-up for 8 four cylinder engines in sequence. Simple logic really. A single 4 cylinder is capable of 30+ mpg so, obviously, 30x8=240 mile per gallon.

Now you will definitely need a CDL with a track endorsement. You may be able to get a Class A non-commercial as long as you don't use it for profit. If you hire it out for rebellions, mercenary actions, regime changes, etc., you will have to have CDL with DOT filings.

I insured mine through State Farm for $60 month. I used International Title to get it registered as an antique Peaugot. They're similar so the tag office doesn't know the difference.

Hope this information helps. Oh and be careful of rotating the cannon near sidewalks, buildings, school buses, etc. (Ask me how I know!) Don't let these guys discourage you, you'll be fine. Welcome to the tank club.:beer:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks