• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought A Tank

sterlun

I'm a newby and I'll admit I'm quite fearful of asking questions. I can handle a ribbing, I can handle constructive criticism, but I wouldn't want my thread to end in "we've covered this before, use the SEARCH function". Not that I've seen it that harsh, but sometimes it leans that way.

The Mods and Admins have worked hard at putting this site together, and they want people to utilize the features they've implemented and try to save server space from being drained by repetitive topics. All understandable. I imagine this site has lots of time and money invested in it.

However, (rotates cannon) The search function is difficult. I use it a lot but rarely find my answers and if I do it takes FOREVER because it brings sooo many results. It tags each word in your search so if I type "12 volt trailer lights" it will give me every post with "trailer" in it. Quite a lot. It COULD have been easier if the search tagged words in only the thread's title, but that won't work either because people post very vague titles. I'm sure the search engine is more efficient than this but I don't know how to do it. Scared to ask cause I'm sure there's a thread about that too.

-Don't know how to use search efficiently---scared to ask.
-Don't know how to quote only a phrase of someone's post and reply like some of you do--scared to ask.
-I need to hook my XM818 to MULTIPLE civvy trailers that do not belong to me. CANNOT modify the trailer. Need to build converter box on truck and also retain it's military configuration---scared to ask.
-My truck doesn't cut off with the switch---scared to ask.

And yes, I have the TM's.

Meanwhile, this has been a fun thread and I can laugh too even if I'm being laughed at. :razz:

3dAngus

OH OK, that explains it. I have been having a war with squirrels in the yard the past few years. Don't make BB guns like they used to. They all have warped barrels and I've been playing "Elmer Fud" trying to shoot them down, due to them eating up vinyl and such. Went to a subsonic round on my .22 about a month ago. "Elmer Fud" has left the room.

Back on topic. Search engines. I wanted to know what kind of brakes the M101 has, vs. the M105. Just did a search on "M101 brakes" You would not believe the amount or reading one has to do to find an answer. Not pages full, but books full of information out there under the search engine, and it is incredibly difficult to get a straight answer without hours of research, due to all the titles or threads that come up, where very few actually answer that particular question. There's a lot of info out there, but one has to be an "expert" to track it down in a reasonable amount of time.

So, it might be better if we all read a book on search engines and became an expert before we ask a question, then, use the search engine, and if no answers within a couple of hours, ask the question, just to get informed we should use the search engine.

OK, I'm being playful here, not mean. There are no easy solutions to this one.

p.s. I will find the answer using the search engine, no worries.

sterlun

Yeah you summed it up pretty good. 'Search Engines For Dummies' may be a good read. I know on a Google search you can use commas, quotation marks, and other characters to refine your search but I never have learned how to do that either.

Frankly, I bet there's a lot of old timers that don't know how to do it as well as I do. But they don't deal with this issue because they have years of hands on and already know it all. I mean, look at Wreckerman. Super swell guy but do you think he's a search expert? I mean c'mon, the guy eats opossum!rofl;-):shock:

Last edited:

jamesfrom180

Sterlun Look up/Google Booleam searches. Then use the Advanced search under the search function. You will be able to limit searches to titles or whole articles. Next some of the Ole Timers to facilitate their "use the search spiel" should use better titles for threads and also use uniform language for certain topics. Spelling which I believe CARNAC has mentioned here or in another thread would help.

Also isn't Colin Mockery Canadian so its a little lighter?:jumpin:

Leave Wreckerman's colonairy experties alone. You do have a picture of a road kill squirrel as your avatar, might not be the best tactical position all I'm saying.

Last edited:

3dAngus

I've been using the google search engine to search for "Colin Mockery" for two hours now.

I keep ending up on facebook.

?????rofl

3dAngus

Yeah, I got it.

ON a more serious note, I have researched this thread and read all the post. We now have approximately 187 posts, and 4,405 views. It looks like this thread was posted on the wrong forum. It should be in "Conversations".
I am now recommending deleting this thread, and everyone who has made a valuable contribution should start over in a newly generated thread.

Last edited:

G-Force

Oh and I want to install a keg holder with tap dispenser at the 5 oclock position in liew of that machine gun that fits next to the big gun. And sense i don't want to climb back and forth from the driving position to that big hatch location, I need to know how to move the steering wheel from the drivers place to the big hatch up on top.

Ooops, I just had the hatch close on my hand. I'm missing a few fingers and I have some bones sticking out. It that ok? Boy that sure makes typing hard.

Some good news CARNAC....since you severed your fingers on the hatch you arew now eleigible for handicap plates.......
this site gets stranger by the thread........

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ATTENTION NEWBIES !

Fear NOT in asking questions here - the only STUPID question is the one YOU are asking... Uh.. I mean.... is the one you DON'T ASK.

Remember: NO GUTS, NO GLORY !

For all the "dumb questions" I have asked around here, I might have caught some good-hearted ribbing, frustration and harassment, but ultimately some Sympathetic SteelSoldier whose character is made of REAL STEEL (not that imported crappola) will chime in and give you a worthwhile answer or provide a link to a previous thread(s) that already contains the help you NEED.

Remember, NEWBIES, you've just been "assigned" to a unit full of battle weary MV addicts who have become so focused on getting their next OD Iron "fix" that they forget their manners. If their mommas were here, there'd be some serious buttwhoopin' goin' on for the orneriness.

But all-in-all, there has never been a finer group of men (and women) with whom I would march into the field of fire with under ANY circumstance. This ramshackle collection of MISFITS will rally around a fallen troop (and his broken MV) in a heartbeat. If you need proof, read this thread... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/53685-attn-member-needs-help.html.

Heck, SteelSoldiers will march through H-E-L-L and back for a friend... Read about SARGE and Hurricane Katrina...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/2660-katrina-deuce-story-must-read.html
(Be sure to follow the LINK in the first post of the thread - A long story but WORTHY of your reading)

There's even a thread inventorying the SteelSoldiers' collective assets should a crisis ever require our mobilization..... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/58055-steel-soldiers-reserve-transportation-corps.html Thanks MadDawg !

We ALL might fantasize about owning "the ultimate MV"... Like an M-1 TANK... but we are also anchored in the reality that we are each an AMBASSADOR for this hobby. Through our individual ownership of pieces of this nation's historic military hardware, we comprise a formidible tactically equipped civilian "militia". We remember our military service and/or SALUTE those who did, and are currently, and will in the future serve the Unitied States of America (and her allies). We are Patriots. We are business men and women employing Uncle Sam's Surplus in the great American Free Enterprise System. We are John Q. Public enjoying a hobby that is in many ways very unique, yet as all-American as a quilting club or Sunday School Class or a good game of golf with some buddies. We are Men and women of varied demographics, socio-economic position, religions, ancestry and ethnic heritiage.

I am PROUD to call ALL SteelSoldiers my family.

And... Like any family, siblings LOVE to pick on each other. But when the "goin' gets tough", I pity the fool who thought he could beat up MY kid brother.

OK - I'll get off my soapbox now. I just had to say that and get it off of my chest.

One more thought....

<with a tear in my eye and a BIG BEAR HUG>
I LOVE YA, MAN !

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Some folks want to take a good tongue in cheek thread and turn it into something serious. I think the fact this thread has grown so far so fast proves the fact there are some pretty frustrate folks out there.

So anyway, sorry I wasn't on much today, I had my fingers reattached. A mere flesh wound and now I'm back to typing good as new.

sterlun

Leave Wreckerman's colonairy experties alone. You do have a picture of a road kill squirrel as your avatar, might not be the best tactical position all I'm saying.

Sooooo what are you trying to say? I don't get it...

onegmjack

Carnac I used the used Vodka when you said St. Petersburg Russia,was going to say the Vodka was in Russia,just could not get the right thought to include Russia.If I can make it to
Georgia Rally this year,PM me what you want to drink, it sure want be used.Was just thinking of the post someone asked about running shellac or used shellac, in their Multifuel Deuce.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks