• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

brake drums wobbling

marks86

Im sorry for the confusing there are in fact two bearings in there I just got confused with the two different hub types.. I will try and get pictures up tomorrow, I still cant figure out why the drum is wobbling.. But Ive been wanting to put disks on the rear of the truck for the longest time now, So my plan is buy two hub rebuild kits with disk brakes....just sucks I cant figure out why they are wobbling almost like the axles are bent not sure hopefully the rebuild kit will do the job

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My gut feeling is that they might have DROPPED you truck off the HIGH LOW at GL , might have bent the axle . BTW , you don't have to be CRAZY to be on this site , but it's like "CHICKEN SOUP" can't hurt . LOL good luck

marks86

My gut feeling is that they might have DROPPED you truck off the HIGH LOW at GL , might have bent the axle . BTW , you don't have to be CRAZY to be on this site , but it's like "CHICKEN SOUP" can't hurt . LOL good luck

that's kind of my thought, Its just hard for me to believe the axle is bent, have you guys seen that before bent 14b axles... the truck did have broken leaf springs

thanks for the help btw

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are right , but he had some broken springs , somethings going on with that drum/axle . I am trying to figure out HOW the drum could be out of square to the hub . I agree he needs to check the axles , could the stub axle be bent ? if it is that had to be some hit !

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spindle on the axle housing could be bent but that wouldn't cause a wobble. I can only see a few things wrong to cause this. Bad bearings in the hub, a warped or bent wheel mounting surface on the hub or most likely, a bent drum. Since the drum is seated on the hub and the studs pressed through it, it's feasable but less likely that the drum could be knocked out of it's seat. If the WMS is straight, the drum is bent. You only have to drop the truck on the drum one time to bend it. For all we know, the unit that turned it in was rolling it around the shop on the drums.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well , that will eliminate the drum problem , plus it will give you better braking . Let us know what you find . BTW don't forget the PICTURES , LOL

marks86

UPDATE...not good

Brand new wheel bearings just install, this is where im at. even without the axle in the disc and hub still wobble

So I think my two choices are a bent hub or a bent spindle

Last edited:

marks86

one is worse than the other but omg this is just ridiculous now I can take the disc of the hub and spin it to see if its the hub but how can I check the spindle, any ideas

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
With the wheel bearing nuts torqued properly does the hub spin freely/evenly? no tight spots at certain points in a 360 degree rotation? spins with the same resistance throughout a complete rotation?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if your spindles were bent, it will not make the drum/disk "wobble"

It has to be your hubs.

How much runout is there? Are you using anything to measure with(besides your eye)?

With rims bolted on to the hubs, do you have the same "wobble"/runout at the rims?

marks86

just went down and took the axles back out there is no tight spots what so ever

here is what I do know the housing/spindle came out of a 3/4 suburban that was in very nice shape

the hubs are from a 28000 m1028 that I can almost guarantee was taken off jumps

marks86

Even if your spindles were bent, it will not make the drum/disk "wobble"

It has to be your hubs.

How much runout is there? Are you using anything to measure with(besides your eye)?

With rims bolted on to the hubs, do you have the same "wobble"/runout at the rims?
one side is prob an 1/8 of an inch other side very minute by eye