• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing an M35A2 out of the trees and back on the road

targhee trucks

FWIW, my M543A2 had sat for over a decade. I simply tossed in new batteries. Turned the switch on (but didn't turn my hand loose) looked for smoke, saw none. Got out, opened the bleeder screw on the primary filter, got fuel there (Nasty fuel I might add). Then moved up top and purged air on the secondary filters. Then I cracked the injector lines and bumped the starter a few times. Got fuel there too. Tightened the lines back down. Then went in to bump the magic button again. It roared to life.

I did have brake issues, and the turbo was rusted siezed up. But a cleaning up of the turbo and some brake work has it rolling again.
Excellent, thanks! Sounds just like what I did a few years back when I had to get an old Cat D-4 running. I may be getting ahead of myself here because I haven't checked to see if the engine is free. But, if it is, I'll try it.

Jack

targhee trucks

Wow, hope there were no snakes.
No snakes. Just wolves and grizzly bears . . .

Not too long ago a pack of wolves came into the farmyard a couple hundred yards from where the truck sits and killed one of the dogs.

This spring a mama griz and her two cubs were seen less than a mile away.

We always travel prepared . . .

Last edited:

Rubenk

Looks like a heck of a project, but not really that far gone!

What color is that paint? It seems done correctly as the dash date plates are on the outside of the paint, but in my limited(very) experience on here I havent seen that color yet.

Redpawn

Looks just like my M35a2 and M109 did when I found them. The M109 had been sitting for close to 20 years and with some batterys and fresh gas and file the points it fired right up. Same with the M35, batterys and away it went.

targhee trucks

Looks like a heck of a project, but not really that far gone!

What color is that paint? It seems done correctly as the dash date plates are on the outside of the paint, but in my limited(very) experience on here I havent seen that color yet.
Paint is white. The other trucks I'm working on (M220 and Boyce Reman threads in Early Deuce) came from Boyce Equip in Utah. Haven't determined yet where this one came from, but Boyce is a good guess. Seems that a lot of trucks came into this area from them.

HASSON1911

Hasn't been started in over 20 years, If that trucks like mine fresh fuel and new batteries should start right up. One reason why I love army trucks over commercial cars

APM215

My M216 CDN sat for at least 10 years before I brought it back to life. There was a 6inch tree growing up through the bumper and brush guard that I cut down before I could even move it. The engine was stuck because of a seized valve (bent the push rod when I barred it over); and tapping on the valve with a hammer freed it up. Later after I got it running; I rebuilt the engine. These trucks are over built and tougher than nails.

targhee trucks

It's great to hear all of these success stories. I'm looking forward to getting it started where it sits after checking fluids, filters, etc. It will probably be a week or so before I can get to it, but I'll be sure to post updates.

Jack

Carl_in_NH

Give it a chance with fresh fuel and a bleed as suggested, and don't forget to clean the air inlet path; could be critters living in there after all these years, too. Wouldn't crank it until checking the sludge in the crankcase, too. Hopefully you'll have good luck with it.

Military Vehicles Magazine has a CD called 'Military Vehicle Restoration', which has articles like 'Calling up MV Zombies' by Steve Turchet and many others. Being new to the game of MVs, you might find it a useful read.

targhee trucks

Give it a chance with fresh fuel and a bleed as suggested, and don't forget to clean the air inlet path; could be critters living in there after all these years, too. Wouldn't crank it until checking the sludge in the crankcase, too. Hopefully you'll have good luck with it.

Military Vehicles Magazine has a CD called 'Military Vehicle Restoration', which has articles like 'Calling up MV Zombies' by Steve Turchet and many others. Being new to the game of MVs, you might find it a useful read.
Excellent, thanks for the tip. I've been doing some homework on bleeding the system and it looks like it's a bit more complicated than just cracking open a few lines. I can see I've got some more learning to do. The CD sounds like a good resource.

I won't be able to get back on the trucks until next week. Planning to do some more searching and reading between now and then.

Jack

targhee trucks

TM(s) and fuel filters?

I just looked at the list of "TM's for the Deuce". There's a lot there, great to have that available.

Which one(s) contain info on changing filters and bleeding the fuel system?

Also, are fuel filters a standard item that I could buy locally from a well stocked parts house, or do I need to buy them from a military supplier?

Jack

JCKnife

TM 9-2320-361-20 has what you're after.

Section 3-28 is primary filter maintenance
Section 3-29 is secondary and final filter maintenance.

Someone else will have to chime in about sources but I believe they are available from numerous sources.

(I'm pretty sure when I got mine, I got them from Troy: http://www.deucemansurplus.com/contact_us_10.html )

APM215

this might help

Lights
The numbers are standard, even NAPA knows them:
Running lights - 623
Dash - 1829 (1873 or 1860 are brighter)
Turn signals - 1683
blackout lights - 1251

You can use the blackout lights as running lights in a pinch...pretty dim.
You can also use the running lights, or blackout lights as turn signals in a pinch.

FUEL FILTERS
Primary = NAPA Gold # 3511
Secondary & Final = NAPA Gold # 3512 need 2ea
The wix numbers are the same as NAPA with a extra number in front.
33512 need 2ea and 33511.
I found the wix primary fuel filter was a bad fit but it has worked well so it’s not all bad.

OIL FILTERS
Wix# 51133 need 2ea
NAPA# 1133 need 2ea

Radiator hose lower:
Gates/Carquest, # 20611.
Dayco# 70689
NAPA# 7423

Last edited:

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce didn't sit as long as yours, but I know it sat for several years. It had mice nests, bird nests, and some other unidentifieable nests. The soft top had rotted away and there were actually a couple small weeds growing out of the seat! I never thought it would start so I didn't even put fresh batteries in. We pulled it out and just for the heck of it I turned the switch on, kicked it in 3rd gear and dumped the clutch. It roared to life! Scared the crap out of the guy who was pulling me. It made loading it on the detach a lot easier. You just never know. Good luck!

targhee trucks

this might help

Lights
The numbers are standard, even NAPA knows them:
Running lights - 623
Dash - 1829 (1873 or 1860 are brighter)
Turn signals - 1683
blackout lights - 1251

You can use the blackout lights as running lights in a pinch...pretty dim.
You can also use the running lights, or blackout lights as turn signals in a pinch.

FUEL FILTERS
Primary = NAPA Gold # 3511
Secondary & Final = NAPA Gold # 3512 need 2ea
The wix numbers are the same as NAPA with a extra number in front.
33512 need 2ea and 33511.
I found the wix primary fuel filter was a bad fit but it has worked well so it’s not all bad.

OIL FILTERS
Wix# 51133 need 2ea
NAPA# 1133 need 2ea

Radiator hose lower:
Gates/Carquest, # 20611.
Dayco# 70689
NAPA# 7423

Wow, excellent! Copied into word doc and it's going in the truck log.[thumbzup]

Thanks,

Jack

targhee trucks

TM 9-2320-361-20 has what you're after.

Section 3-28 is primary filter maintenance
Section 3-29 is secondary and final filter maintenance.

Someone else will have to chime in about sources but I believe they are available from numerous sources.

(I'm pretty sure when I got mine, I got them from Troy: Contact Us )
Excellent reply, that's what I needed. [thumbzup]

Thanks,

Jack