• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing an M35A2 out of the trees and back on the road

willy

You can mount a 24 volt light bulb in between your ground and your baterie.
Then when starting to disconnect thing if the light goes out you have your short.
Willy

targhee trucks

Oh Sweet Noise!

It started today! After a family member who is an electrician helped me figure out the correct way to connect the batteries to the series-parallel switch it fired up and ran.

Cranked it over 3 times, about 30 seconds each time, and it fired on the third try. After a few minutes of pumping the throttle while the engine warmed up it settled into a nice 700 rpm idle, IIRC oil pressure gauge read about 80, engine temp gauge about 145.

I ran it for about 5 minutes, then shut it off. Hit the starter button and it fired back up instantly.

Family members guessed that it was last run in the mid-1980's.

I didn't try to drive it, there are still some big trees that need to be cut down, but I did put it in gear and ease the clutch out and it moved.

I have a 20 second video of the engine running, but it still hasn't forwarded from my phone. Will post it when it comes through.

Going back tomorrow afternoon to clear the trees and drive it out. Will definitely have video of that.

Thanks to all who answered my questions, posted advice or offered encouragement. [thumbzup]

Here's a picture of the battery connections:

M35a2 correct battery hookup.jpg

rednckii

That is awesome i just sold all the cese i had due to a transfer with a deployment so the family is better off. But all i can say is that when i get back i wish i could be lucky enough to buy a house with an old relic to bring back to life sitting on it. Very happy to see you got it running and keep on trucking. It is getting to be a rare art form in getting these trucks running and driving instead of scrapping them.
:grd:

pinzgauer pete

These trucks were built tough, that engine sounds good. I am sure that in a few days you can have most of the bugs worked out and actually drive the truck around. I would change all the hoses ,brake lines and fluids but after that drive it and see where you stand...GOOD JOB

targhee trucks

Thanks to all for your comments on the engine start. I've put a lot of time and effort into the 4 trucks I'm working on this summer. I've climbed up and down on fenders and in and out of engine compartments more times than I ever thought possible :D . Hearing that engine fire up yesterday and watching that cloud of black smoke roll around the cab as it warmed up made it all worth while.

Looking forward to driving it out of the trees later today.

Jack

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YEAH!!!!! I had a feeling it would start! Nice Job! I'm sure there will be a few gremlins to chase out after sitting for so long, but man it is sure encouraging to hear about this success. Keep it up and keep us posted.

:grd:

targhee trucks

No driveout today

Well, the day didn't go the way I'd hoped, we didn't have enough time to drive it out.

I got out there just long enough to cut away some trees. There were two that had to go. I'll be backing the truck out, one tree had grown up right behind the rear wheels and I was afraid it would puncture tires if I tried to drive over it. The other had grown up behind the fuel tank and would have ripped it off.

Here's the view from behind the truck before I started cutting. I still have to move the trailer with the tank and cut off one more stump. Hoping to drive it out in the morning.

m35a2 rear.jpg

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Job! Very interesting work around for someone who figured out the 12v system.

I've resurrected many lost and forgotten things as of late. It is a wonderful feeling and the machines appreciate it, I can tell. They have been sitting so long they forgot how wonderful it is to 'live' again. Once they remember how good it is, they want to do it more and more.

I'm surprised no one else noticed the danger sticker on the tach was at 2900 rpm... someone not put the sticker on right, or the tach came from a LDS truck, or that is an LDS motor in that deuce. Hmmmm...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks